What's new

Should I start a post on great American BBQ products made in China?

OCCASIONALLY........ One can find old, OLD! Weber REAL Weber grills at the curb, waiting for the garbage man (person?) to pick up. Or for sale for pennies on the dollar at garage sales.

I know a guy that I see every single day in the mirror that was shtoopid enough to throw several Weber grills away after buying or finding them.
My old Weber is stilled stamped Made in Palatine, IL. We bought it the same year we bought the house I live in --2000. I did pick up a Kamado Joe smoker with all the bells and whistlers for a mere $50. I don't use it as much as the Weber, because it is primarily a smoker, but I have had no problems with it at all.

The best BBQ I've had came from a portable trailerable unit built by one of my Southern relatives who is in the machine maintenance trade. The main smoking portion is made from a discarded fuel oil tank sawn in half, with hinges, racks, handles, etc. welded together in the driveway. He tows it to family gatherings behind a diesel pickup truck.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I hear that the Tesla does smoke from time to time but is it any good smoking meat!

Does a great job if you don't mind the odd smell from the smoke.

1611616193850.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The best BBQ I've had came from a portable trailerable unit built by one of my Southern relatives who is in the machine maintenance trade. The main smoking portion is made from a discarded fuel oil tank sawn in half, with hinges, racks, handles, etc. welded together in the driveway. He tows it to family gatherings behind a diesel pickup truck.
I've got at least two old fuel oil tanks out in my woods.

A friend of mine made a pig roaster out of an old fuel oil tank. He used propane as the heat source, welded up a trailer. He used to put on portable parties with it. Kegs of beer. He'd charge like 20 bucks a head. Lol, people would bring dishes to pass and still give him a twenty! People got drunk and slept in the farmer's field. Sometimes a band would play country music.

I always wondered how many children were conceived at those things! I was usually too busy drinking or playing the drums to be responsible for any child support payments.

It's amazing the stuff that rolls around in my head unnoticed until it rolls out on the page. And how often I thank God that He protected me from my own shtoopidity.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
IMHO, if they actually CAN say a product is "Made in the USA" (or shoes "Made in England" or suits "Made in Italy" &c &c) they will say it very clearly on the website.

Yup. It's a plus, so if you don't see it chances are there is a reason.

I've attached the smoker my dad made. The lower left is the fire box (ignore the steel pipe on top, not part of it). Smoke flows through tile leading up to the smokehouse on the right. It has a full size door on the front, a lazy susan rack inside. There are temp gauges at the bottom and top so you can see what temp you are at.

In later years he quit using the firebox and put a propane burner in for easier more precise temp control and just used a pan of wood chips in the smoke house itself.
DSCF4623.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Not sure if I want Fremont made Tesla given the issues. Can't have my roof fly off right after I drive it off the dealer lot.
That's never a good thing!

Remember when people used to say, "we can land a man on the moon, but we can't...." Lol, this guy CAN land a rocket on a ship at sea! I didn't know his tops were flying off his cars!

Top Bottom