What's new

Should I or Shouldn't I?

I have a very thick beard and my facial hair is also very stiff? Wiry? Anyway, I think, based on what I've read, the Slant may be a better choice for my hair. As many of you here have said, it's worth a try anyway.

Kyle- question- or for ANYBODY who like to use a slant: you said the Slant can reduce work on the touch&cut phase... Some have posted that a touch&cut is more difficult or dangerous with a Slant. Do you touch & cut with a Slant exactly as you would with a regular DE? After all the formal passes, do you feel comfortable going back with just a little foam or water to clean up those pesky areas that you can kinda push at with a regular DE?

(Also, like you, after using Feathers in my HD and my Futur, I've given up on them. I know and love the Merkur blades and once in a while to switch it up I always have Swedish Gillette DE blades and/or Israeli no-namers.)

Jim,

Apollo (the company who I suspect patented the Slant-Bar) made some very nice razors - I have one from the 1930's with a roman pillar style handel & a mat chrome finish.
I own a few slants and the Merkur HD is my second favourite - the Apollo just beats it - it shaves the same, but looks better.

Regards
John

NYLaw said:
I have a very thick beard and my facial hair is also very stiff? Wiry? Anyway, I think, based on what I've read, the Slant may be a better choice for my hair. As many of you here have said, it's worth a try anyway.

Kyle- question- or for ANYBODY who like to use a slant: you said the Slant can reduce work on the touch&cut phase... Some have posted that a touch&cut is more difficult or dangerous with a Slant. Do you touch & cut with a Slant exactly as you would with a regular DE? After all the formal passes, do you feel comfortable going back with just a little foam or water to clean up those pesky areas that you can kinda push at with a regular DE?

(Also, like you, after using Feathers in my HD and my Futur, I've given up on them. I know and love the Merkur blades and once in a while to switch it up I always have Swedish Gillette DE blades and/or Israeli no-namers.)
Standard t/c with the slant is no different than with any other razor. I would recommend, however, that you not blade buff with the slant (at least until you are VERY familiar with it). Once you begin to become truly proficient with this razor, you should find the amount of t/c necessary to be very small.

guenron said:
Some time ago I was sucked into the black hole of buying a slant bar. Someone claimed that there was a better shave to be found within the gaping maw of the \| than that in the Vision and others. At anyrate, I experimented for several weeks until I found the best méthode d'exécution for the \|. It is not the be-all, end-all of DE razors that many of the hypsters would have you believe. What I learned was that to achieve the result for which I was looking, I had to use Feather blades and use yet another razor to trim my sideburns. I still have the razor and on occassion resurrect it from the cabinet of shaving pleasures past and present to see if anything has changed about it. Still give an A- shave, crooked sideburns, and leaves some tiny whiskers at the inner opening of my nostirls.:wink2:

Well Ron, I guess it is just you and me in this boat! I tried the SB every day for a month, and I just get better results with a normal razor shaving diagonally accross my face. I still get the scything motion, and it gives me a closer shave with less passes. There is nothing wrong with the SB, but it just isn't as good as the Vision, Progress or any of the Gillette adjustables for me.

I do keep it around, and I can see myself trying it a few more times, but after a solid month of use, I just don't see me changing my mind.

Buy the way, I have an Apollo as well, and I will warn anyone thinking about buying one, they are WAY, WAY more aggressive than the Hoffritz/Merkur SB!!! This razor will teach you the meaning of NO PREASURE shaving!:scared:

Top Bottom