What's new

Should I flip my blades?

Does turning the blade over the blade extend it's service life?
If so, how often, after every use or every other use?

Seems to me it should help, giving even wear on both sides of the edge.

Regards,
Jim

This issue has been around for years. See here for example. Some flip but most don't. There is no scientific basis that you get more shaves per blade if you flip since the cutting edge - what shaves your wiskers - remains the same.

i do it!!!! i don't think it extends the life of the blade greatly, but it gives it a fighting chance in my mind. I don't fear cutting myself with the blade by a flip.

I very scientifically* observed that the blade portion that gets the most "wear" is the bottom of the blade (*lather gunk visible at times). i figure flipping the blade is like flipping the mattress or rotating the wheels on a car. However, time spent flipping the blade is inconsequential and doesn't seem to complicate the process for me.

I very scientifically* observed that the blade portion that gets the most "wear" is the bottom of the blade (*lather gunk visible at times). i figure flipping the blade is like flipping the mattress or rotating the wheels on a car.

If the bottom got the most wear wouldn't it be cleaner? No gunk accumulation do to the wear and contact?

I often rotate because of the coatings in modern DE blades. I read in one of the patents for coatings that in a modern blade the coatings are often as important as the edge itself. Many of the coatings (teflon, platinum, or for a lucky few titanium) wear off or are sacrificed during use. The theory of flipping is that the coatings will be less worn on the other side. I generally try to flip when a blade is about 2/3rd used. I may do one last flip at the end of the blade's life.

I use mostly NOS blades and view them as a non-renewable resource, and try to get the most usable life out of them.

I often rotate because of the coatings in modern DE blades. I read in one of the patents for coatings that in a modern blade the coatings are often as important as the edge itself. Many of the coatings (teflon, platinum, or for a lucky few titanium) wear off or are sacrificed during use. The theory of flipping is that the coatings will be less worn on the other side. I generally try to flip when a blade is about 2/3rd used. I may do one last flip at the end of the blade's life.
My thoughts as well. I tend to flip after three or four shaves and go for a couple more. My facial hair seems to not be terribly rough on blades :~)

As your knife passes through the steak, (YUMMY) the meat contacts both edges
of the knife blade.

Is the same true of the razor blade as it glides over your face?
Yes.

While there may be two sides to every blade, by definition, there is only one edge.

Suggesting I can flip the blade and somehow get a fresh side is akin to suggesting I can rotate a needle along its axis 90 degrees and get a different point.

You can't flip the blade and magically get a different edge. Unless your blades are made from Unicorns, of course.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Well, I don't think there will be a measurable, noticeable increase in blade life from flipping. Theoretically I am inclined to say that it makes SOME difference, but blades are around 20 cents per, so who cares if you get 6.014333 shaves per blade instead of 6? I HAVE flipped, and truthfully I never noticed any difference. I say don't bother. Just rinse your razor well with the doors slightly ajar, set it or hang it where it will dry, and you are good to go, until time to actually change the blade.

OTOH, if you are a compulsive blade remover who likes to take it out and dry it, you may as well flip. If you use a blade for a week, for example, and you always take the blade out after shaving, maybe flip it Thursday morning. You are already unneccessarily risking a finger cut so why not flip the blade?

Top Bottom