What's new

Shorter blades?

Every time I use a straight, the ~3" blade on your average straight feels long & unwieldy...I keep thinking something shorter would make me feel more "in control". (I have a similar thing with small brushes.) However, the only blades I've seen that're shorter than your normal straight (other than grinding one down) are Japanese-style razors and William's "The Purist". Any other shorter-than-average options?

find one with a chipped toe on ebay for cheap and grind it down. There are a couple shorter razors, dwarf duck, De Pews and Torrey mini shaver(there may be more but these are ones I know)

I shortened a chipped Shumate to 2 1/4" and it shaves well. I also have a razor called "The Mab" that was manufactured 2 1/2" and a George Ibberson (Sheffield) 2 3/8" razor.
As well as the models superbleu mentioned, Dubl Duck also had a "Baby Duck" model. Joseph Rogers made a DePew clone as did Simmons Hardware. Case made a mini.
The Dubl Duck Dwarf (just under 2 1/2") is a great shaver and a regular in my rotation.
Most "moustache razors" would be about 2 1/2".

I've got a few shortened razors that have come about from saving some good blades that have had nasty chips or cracks in them.

I have shortened down a few blades because of chips and whatnot and I find that I really enjoy shaving with them. In fact I have been watching eBay quietly for over a year waiting for the perfect 8/8 hollow with a chip that I can cut down and make new scales for. I think my ideal razor is a 8/8 full or 3/4 hollow with a ~2.25" cutting edge. If I never find one I might just have to make one when I start doing customs :)

I have shortened down a few blades because of chips and whatnot and I find that I really enjoy shaving with them. In fact I have been watching eBay quietly for over a year waiting for the perfect 8/8 hollow with a chip that I can cut down and make new scales for. I think my ideal razor is a 8/8 full or 3/4 hollow with a ~2.25" cutting edge. If I never find one I might just have to make one when I start doing customs :)

Something like this?

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=203052

One thing that's always made my shy away from straights is the long blade. I'd want something not much more wide than a DE/SE. Thanks to this thread, I kinda have the urge to get a shorter straight now.

Because what I really need right now is another AD!

Top Bottom