What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

A few years ago, a much older and wiser gentleman than I told me, that in the "olden days" people would buy high quality shoes and regularly polish and maintain them; they would last them 20 sometimes 30 years. I took his advice to heart and started to get myself a proper kit together, as I didn't feel like throwing out perfectly good shoes after 2-3 years of wear. Mind you, up to that time I only really polished shoes and boots in the army, and as 20-something year old, I didn't really enjoy that particular chore. Plus we didn't really get any good stuff, but good enough to let them shine and the skills to do so.

As I got older, I started to enjoy the occasional Saturday afternoon of shoe polishing, and my shoes hold and hold and hopefully hold another couple of years. My wife is mildly smiling when I lug my polishing box on the balcony into the sunshine, but my shoes do shine, sometimes so much so that they reflect the world around them. When you go out to work you don't see many people who have polished shoes, but I do enjoy walking with my mirror shine and I can tell you that people do notice and it makes a tremendous impression upon them. And if I do happen to see a fellow shoe shiner, we nod to each other and exchange knowing smiles...ah, another gentleman paying attention to the details.

I do find my polishing session to be incredibly calming, almost meditative; just as I find the same calmness in writing with a Fountain pen, drinking really good tea, or the morning shave with a DE razor.

Finally, I do not believe that polishing your shoes should be just reserved for tailor made shoes; very good leather shoes should be polished and maintained, whether you have spent $150 or $2000 on them. The most important is that you have a good quality shoe and by all means keep them polished. The impression you'll make on those around you will benefit you greatly.

do find my polishing session to be incredibly calming, almost meditative; just as I find the same calmness in writing with a Fountain pen, drinking really good tea, or the morning shave with a DE razor.
Agreed, well I haven’t tried
" really good tea " - where does one begin?

Agreed, well I haven’t tried
" really good tea " - where does one begin?
Caution: This is potentially a very deep rabbit hole. If you're not careful, sooner or later you will know what a tea needle is and be collecting tea pets. Kidding aside, the first step is to throw out all your tea bags and purchase an infuser for loose tea. That should cover the morning cup... the rest, well I think I'll drop you a message as I don't want to hijack this thread and derail the discussion.

A few years ago, a much older and wiser gentleman than I told me, that in the "olden days" people would buy high quality shoes and regularly polish and maintain them; they would last them 20 sometimes 30 years. I took his advice to heart and started to get myself a proper kit together, as I didn't feel like throwing out perfectly good shoes after 2-3 years of wear. Mind you, up to that time I only really polished shoes and boots in the army, and as 20-something year old, I didn't really enjoy that particular chore. Plus we didn't really get any good stuff, but good enough to let them shine and the skills to do so.

As I got older, I started to enjoy the occasional Saturday afternoon of shoe polishing, and my shoes hold and hold and hopefully hold another couple of years. My wife is mildly smiling when I lug my polishing box on the balcony into the sunshine, but my shoes do shine, sometimes so much so that they reflect the world around them. When you go out to work you don't see many people who have polished shoes, but I do enjoy walking with my mirror shine and I can tell you that people do notice and it makes a tremendous impression upon them. And if I do happen to see a fellow shoe shiner, we nod to each other and exchange knowing smiles...ah, another gentleman paying attention to the details.

I do find my polishing session to be incredibly calming, almost meditative; just as I find the same calmness in writing with a Fountain pen, drinking really good tea, or the morning shave with a DE razor.

Finally, I do not believe that polishing your shoes should be just reserved for tailor made shoes; very good leather shoes should be polished and maintained, whether you have spent $150 or $2000 on them. The most important is that you have a good quality shoe and by all means keep them polished. The impression you'll make on those around you will benefit you greatly.
100% ! .... And if you do have good leather shoes invest in high quality brushes, polishes, waxes, creams and " shine rags " ... I bought 2 full size Italian horse hair brushes , one for black one for brown/tan shoes , and 3 shine " rags " at a barber/ shoe shine supply shop in downtown Oakland , California in 1963 . I still have them and use them . The shine rags have been machine washed several times over the decades and still work like new . It pays to invest in quality goods , they last a long time ..

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
100% ! .... And if you do have good leather shoes invest in high quality brushes, polishes, waxes, creams and " shine rags " ... I bought 2 full size Italian horse hair brushes , one for black one for brown/tan shoes , and 3 shine " rags " at a barber/ shoe shine supply shop in downtown Oakland , California in 1963 . I still have them and use them . The shine rags have been machine washed several times over the decades and still work like new . It pays to invest in quality goods , they last a long time ..

Agreed. I have a variety of horse hair brushes (black and white), a pig bristle and a goat hair as well.
IMG_7232.jpeg

I didn’t really feel like spending the extra coin for yak hair but maybe a future birthday present from Mrs. Gold, who knows?

I’ve taken many an old business dress shirt and cut them into strips for polishing rags as well as buying a few chamois every time I stop by the local cobbler.

And of course, old T-shirts galore.

IMG_7230.jpeg

(Just not a fan of the dauber for wax/polish application).

Last edited:
I concur wholeheartedly….Just remember to hit the back of that shoe especially hard as that may be the last thing someone sees of you! 👍🏻😊💈🍻

Agreed. I have a variety of horse hair brushes (black and white), a pig hair and a goat hair as well.
View attachment 1767742

I didn’t really feel like spending the extra coin for yak hair but maybe a future birthday present from Mrs. Gold, who knows?

I’ve taken many an old business dress shirts and cut them into strips for polishing rags as well as buying a few chamois every time I stop by the local cobbler.

And of course, old T-shirts galore.

View attachment 1767739
(Just not a fan of the dauber for wax/polish application).
Where are they from; website?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
These guys take the shoe shine to a whole different level. :yesnod:

That video was amazing thanks.
Questions
How do I search for more on the tube? How do I get a step by step guide? Is that water coming out of the dispenser thingy? I'm going down the rabbit hole indeed.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Where would you you purchase the 5"? Kirby?

Amazon sells them. I think they sell a pair of Saphir 5” inch brushes as well as some 4” inch brushes (which may be too small, imo).

Also, the products being used in the video above are sold here:

That video was amazing thanks.
Questions
How do I search for more on the tube? How do I get a step by step guide? Is that water coming out of the dispenser thingy? I'm going down the rabbit hole indeed.

There are plenty of videos on YT. Whether you are looking for some of the Japanese shoe shine experts, the New York Street shoe shines, there’s Angelo, there’s Vetiver’s Lab and the list goes on and on.

Kirby Allison has plenty of step-by-step videos. And that is water in the dispenser. I believe KA sells them for about $35. I got one on Amazon for much less.

While going down this rabbit hole, and if you’re an insomniac, you can watch 4 hours of ASMR shoe shine videos to put you to sleep. 😀

Here’s an interesting article from a few years back from Put This On:

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Loose stitching…
IMG_7242.jpeg

No more.
IMG_7243.jpeg

These 15-20 year old Alden Color 8 shell cordovan shoes get the renovateur, cream, wax treatment today.

IMG_7245.jpeg
IMG_7244.jpeg

And then we encounter the old cracked shoe question..
IMG_7246.jpeg

Unsightly or well-earned footwear statement?

You know which way I’m leaning. 😉

Last edited:
Even though I almost never wear formal shoes, preferring suede or buffalo casuals, 990s or boots, I still like occasional polishing of the leather ones. It really underscores the existential nature of collecting stuff we don’t actually use or need but does give some pleasure. A bit like a personal library where you sit and surf on an iPad.

As often happens on the rare occasions that I login these days, there is another “must have” . The yak hair shoe brush. I’ve read Kirby Allison’s pitch for these a few times but passed, settling for a horn-backed horse hair one along with my regular Walmart ones that do a good job. It’s probably no better than an old pair of nylon tights, but there’s only one way to know for certain. Maybe it’s time for a last minute New Year present to myself?

Top Bottom