What's new

Shoe Shining Disorder. What Have I Done!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
First coat of Saphir Universal and Cherry Blossom Renovating Polish applied. There's still the occasional speckle of old polish deep in the grain, acting as a "resist", but it's a vast improvement on what was there before.

IMG_20220321_204309.jpg

I've no doubt the RenOMat would have done a better job, but this should certainly be good enough when it's finished.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Second layer of Cherry Blossom Renovating Polish, and buffed with a clean dry cloth. My faith in my shoe polishing abilities has been restored. Very difficult to photograph now, as the sheen is confusing the camera.

20220322_095611.jpg

A vast improvement over what I could achieve with these shoes before.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I just acquired these two lovely brushes in a toiletries set containing a 1930s razor and I suspect them to be of the same period. They are marked 'Made In England' and 'Natural Ebony'. I suspect one is a hair brush and one a clothes brush. Given that I have need for neither then is there any reason not to use these for shoe shining? Would you use them for applying the polish/cream or for buffing? I currently use Kiwi natural brushes.

20220807_155712.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I just acquired these two lovely brushes in a toiletries set containing a 1930s razor and I suspect them to be of the same period. They are marked 'Made In England' and 'Natural Ebony'. I suspect one is a hair brush and one a clothes brush. Given that I have need for neither then is there any reason not to use these for shoe shining? Would you use them for applying the polish/cream or for buffing? I currently use Kiwi natural brushes.

View attachment 1500838

Those are a couple of beauties. I don’t know if I would use them for polishing. Maybe just for a quick dust-off. And if they do date back to the 30’s, I wouldn’t use them at all. Just leave them out on display. :yesnod:

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Last weekend…

IMG_6046.jpeg

After giving them a washing off and letting them dry…

This weekend…

Wiped off with damp cloth.
IMG_6206.jpeg

IMG_6207.jpeg

Two applications of Bick 4 and brushed off after a few minutes.

IMG_6208.jpeg

IMG_6209.jpeg

image.jpg

Finished. 😎

IMG_6236.jpeg

Wait…. Sssshhhh. Listen…

Mrs Gold: “Honey.”

Johnniegold: 😳

Mrs. Gold: “HONEY!”

Johnniegold: 😳😳 “Yes, dear?”

Mrs. Gold: “When you’re finished cleaning your boots, can you do mine?”

Johnniegold: 🤪 “Sure! Bring them over here.”

Mrs. Gold: “Thank you. And when you’re done, we can go to Costco.”

Johnniegold: :glare: “Yes, dear.”

She’s still adorable. 😉😎😀

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So both mother and daughter chimed in on boot cleaning day.
IMG_6213.jpeg

Daughter’s boots didn’t get too much work as they seem a bit too far gone to expend extra elbow grease.

BEFORE:
IMG_6212.jpeg

AFTER:
IMG_6214.jpeg

Next… Mrs. Gold’s Blunnies needed some TLC.

After some Bick 4, a touch of wax to grease the stitching…
IMG_6215.jpeg

A bit of polish to add some pigment as some areas had some staining from mud…

IMG_6217.jpeg

IMG_6226.jpeg

IMG_6229.jpeg

IMG_6225.jpeg
IMG_6230.jpeg

IMG_6231.jpeg

Jeesh… I’m exhausted. 🙄😀

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
All of the shoe care on this thread is impressive. I wear cordovan a lot and just brush it. Chromexcel is almost as low maintenance. As to bulling or spit shining, I left it behind when I left the Navy.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Haven’t bulled a pair of shoes in quite some time. Especially since I’ve been wearing mostly suede shoes which makes bulling a bit difficult. 😀

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Mrs. Gold is very happy with her newly spiffed-up boots. 😀

But get this…

She wants to know why I didn’t do such a good job on my daughter’s boots. 😳

She said: “I mean, you’re so meticulous.”🤨. (Fellas, trust me, there was a hint of sarcasm in there somewhere.)

IMG_6247.jpeg

So back up on the work bench they go.
IMG_6240.jpeg
IMG_6241.jpeg
IMG_6243.jpeg
IMG_6244.jpeg
IMG_6239.jpeg

I mean there is only so much you can do.

I feel like McCoy from Star Trek…

IMG_6248.png

😀

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Alden All-Weather Walker also got a tune-up with some conditioner and a bit of paste, polish and some sole guard for the leather portion of the mostly crepe sole.

Although there is nothing to be done for the gash in the leather from a swinging door, the shoes will not relegated to the back of the closet but rather they will be worn battle scars and all.
IMG_6540.jpeg
IMG_6541.jpeg
IMG_6542.jpeg
IMG_6544.jpeg
IMG_6545.jpeg

image.jpg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
As I was finishing up the AWWs, I noticed that the Town View Leather moccs on my feet were looking a little thirsty so they got an application of Bick 4 (the soles too).
IMG_6548.jpeg

IMG_6549.jpeg

IMG_6550.jpeg

Soles before:

IMG_6547.jpeg

Soles after:

IMG_6552.jpeg

Top Bottom