What's new

Shining shoes as therapy

What? You mock me? You dare to call my bluff?
There is no catch. Indeed, I have all this work to allocate...and more besides!
Why, I've been patiently wringing my hands in silence as I wait for my post to attract an unwitting moth such as yourself, err... I mean, a pilgrim seeking enlightenment.
I've at least a dozen shoes and boots, nearly fifty long-sleeved shirts, and half as many short-sleeved ones, pleated trousers numbering roughly two-score, two silverware sets, one a service for eight, the other for six, and at least two dozen fountain pens.
Admittedly, I've only a few open-razors to hone, but honers are a dime-a-dozen anyway. And we all know that 98% of straight-razor owners never shave with them. They just like to hone them, step back, admire their handiwork...and of course, fuss about all the rare and expensive coticules, pastes, strops and other arcane tools they employ at their dedicated work-benches, to set and maintain those trophy-worthy edges! To their credit though, they do at least cut a single hanging hair with each blade that they sharpen.
Perhaps you fear that these tasks can be quickly accomplished and your spiritual bliss will be short-lived?
I've thought of that, and I promise, that before your chakras wander, I will move you over to the gardening team, whose work, apparently, is never done!

I'm in, unless I am too late and you have found another unwitting, I mean worthy pilgrim. Such opportunities to toil away at these immensely painstaking tasks such as what you are promising are the only way to achieve inner bliss. I shall start immediately, assuming I can afford your rate.

Interesting post. And painful, as well. Earlier today, my glued on rubber sole shoes fell apart on my way into a local lumber yard. Flop, flop, flop. So......just a few moments ago, I was searching Google for a new pair of leather casual and Goodyear welted shoes that are able to be polished and a pair that can be professionally fitted, locally, to my feet. No luck. Bummer.

...I was searching Google for a new pair of leather casual and Goodyear welted shoes that are able to be polished and a pair that can be professionally fitted, locally, to my feet. No luck. Bummer.
Such professional shoemakers and fitters can be found......in the history books!

shined all my uncles shoes for 10c to have some cash. during bootcamp I was assigned to do shoes as I was good at it. yes it is therapeutic but detailing cars does it for me now

Well, if you go to a rundown piece of most any mid to large size city you can still find a decent shoe guy. Cobbler? Anyway, I've had a few shoes repaired (new soles, new heels, etc). I shine them myself, lol. Don't you worry about THAT!!

They are not extinct... Just the local guys are... Unless you live in London, Tokyo, Paris, Milan...

Interesting interview about the stratospheric heights of bespoke shoe making.

It appears that Prince Charles could use a new pair of John Lobb's

proxy.php

It was a habit instilled in me from a young age. I have had my own shine box since I was 6 or 7. Dad was a Naval aviator, and shining shoes with the old man was a Saturday ritual. Had to look sharp on Sunday morning for church. By the time I got to boot camp for the Coast Guard I was an old hand. The shine box always has tins of black, brown, cordovan, and neutral, along with saddle soap, mink oil, applicator brushes, buffing brushes, extra laces, flannel rags, and the secret weapon - panty hose.
Don't even THINK about leaving those laces in, mister.

The shine box always has tins of black, brown, cordovan, and neutral, along with saddle soap, mink oil, applicator brushes, buffing brushes, extra laces, flannel rags, and the secret weapon - panty hose.
Don't even THINK about leaving those laces in, mister.
Panty hose? Great idea! I used to use old, stained silk neck-ties.
And of course, the laces MUST be removed! Only a slacker would leave them in! How else are you going to polish the tongue?
If the laces are cross-patterned, they must be laced with all the crosses the same on each shoe, and one shoe's crosses should be a mirror-image of the other.
Flat laces must never be twisted, even where they pass through an eyelet. A meticulous process, but one not to be skipped by a pro!
A lace with a broken-down aglet must be replaced, and if so, they must be replaced as a pair. In the old days, the metal aglets could be replaced with an aglet crimper, but nobody does that anymore.
Those in the services know, but civvies often neglect to brush clean between toe and heel.
Finally, bullying the toe and heel cap (if there is one) is the sign of a true perfectionist.
It will all be in my forthcoming book: "How to Earn a Meagre Living as a Nineteenth-Century Bootblack!"

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Panty hose? Great idea! I used to use old, stained silk neck-ties.
And of course, the laces MUST be removed! Only a slacker would leave them in! How else are you going to polish the tongue?
If the laces are cross-patterned, they must be laced with all the crosses the same on each shoe, and one shoe's crosses should be a mirror-image of the other.
Flat laces must never be twisted, even where they pass through an eyelet. A meticulous process, but one not to be skipped by a pro!
A lace with a broken-down aglet must be replaced, and if so, they must be replaced as a pair. In the old days, the metal aglets could be replaced with an aglet crimper, but nobody does that anymore.
Those in the services know, but civvies often neglect to brush clean between toe and heel.
Finally, bullying the toe and heel cap (if there is one) is the sign of a true perfectionist.
It will all be in my forthcoming book: "How to Earn a Meagre Living as a Nineteenth-Century Bootblack!"
The irony is this: your book could be a runaway bestseller on Kindle.

Top Bottom