What's new

Shell French Hide Strop

I recently bought this strop in NOS condition. I've owned many shell strops but this easily has the best leather I've ever used. The leather is thin and very soft. I mean, it's really soft. All my razors perform beautifully on it. Conversely, the canvas is 1/8" thick and stiff. It's not pasted though, which is surprising. I'll do that myself. If you can get one, go for it. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I might use Dovo white paste but that depends on the NOS Craftsman strop I have coming in the mail. If the Craftsman is already treated with something, then I'll use this strop untreated.

It's a funny thing but I don't think of the horse "SHELL" strop as being soft.

The leather is as tough as you would expect a horse to be but the seude surface is so much finer than cow. A soft seude I would think was neither use nor ornament, but I stand to be corrected.

It's the hard base with the soft surface with a very fine grain that makes a horse shell strop work so well.

My feeling is if you want soft strop, there will be many other animals can provide the soft pelt.

I hope someone who knows about leather can explain.

Looks a lot like the Kanayama cordovan strops, right down to the star-shaped hardware and the laurel leaf stamp at the bottom with the '2000'. I think the Kanayama's have '3000'. I know it's probably different, it just looks so similar.

Very nice looking.

s.

It's a funny thing but I don't think of the horse "SHELL" strop as being soft.

The leather is as tough as you would expect a horse to be but the seude surface is so much finer than cow. A soft seude I would think was neither use nor ornament, but I stand to be corrected.

It's the hard base with the soft surface with a very fine grain that makes a horse shell strop work so well.

My feeling is if you want soft strop, there will be many other animals can provide the soft pelt.

I hope someone who knows about leather can explain.
This strop is defeinitely softer than any other strop I've ever used.

Last edited:
Beautiful!!

I picked up a vintage sears and sons and I love it not as nice as your though. The surface on mine is hard, but smooth, the action is super fast. I think it makes for a really nice final polishing after the usual latigo.

Looks a lot like the Kanayama cordovan strops, right down to the star-shaped hardware and the laurel leaf stamp at the bottom with the '2000'. I think the Kanayama's have '3000'. I know it's probably different, it just looks so similar.

Very nice looking.

s.

I have the 10000 as well. I haven't used it though. It's still in the box.

They are both very high quality looking strops.

My comment about the hardness is not supposed to undermine the quality which is clearly visible. I'm sure the strop is superb. It is just I think of horse leather as more rigid somehow than cow hide.

Wish I knew where you find those awesome vintage strops. Wherever I look on ebay it is tatty vintage strops that I see.

Should you ever want to sell one, one of the the Kintaka Tokyo Takagi strops you let go a while back has been very happy in my home! How do these compare to it? It too is very soft, very luxurious.

This strop has the best leather I've ever used. It's more luxurious than the Kintaka strops. It's downright plush.

I don't know what back alley there in NYC you get hooked up with all of your nice strops and shiny Friodurs, but it sure looks like you know what you're doing! Sweet!

I got one too... havent used it. Hot strop though. the canvas on mine isnt as heavy. I havent put anything on the canvas or the leather. Any reccomendations? My pictures dont appear for some reason but its marked 30000 at the bottom.
proxy.php

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41212501@N02/3795636433/ if that helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom