What's new

Shelf Making Tips?

I got my knots in today and I was working on an Ever Ready 100. It soon was apparent that if I was going to get the loft I wanted, I would need to go through the existing shelf. So, I did and I've now got a hollow brush and I'm wondering if there are any good tips for making a shelf upon which I can epoxy the knot. I suppose I could just fill it with epoxy, but I'd rather not use that much epoxy just to fill a empty handle. Any tips, hints, special tricks, techniques, etc., etc.?

I got my knots in today and I was working on an Ever Ready 100. It soon was apparent that if I was going to get the loft I wanted, I would need to go through the existing shelf. So, I did and I've now got a hollow brush and I'm wondering if there are any good tips for making a shelf upon which I can epoxy the knot. I suppose I could just fill it with epoxy, but I'd rather not use that much epoxy just to fill a empty handle. Any tips, hints, special tricks, techniques, etc., etc.?

for a light-weight option, you could cut a piece of cork to fit inside and become your new shelf. for a heavier option, try a stack of washers.

i've also heard of broom handles being used - provided your brush is large enough and your broom handle small enough...

to avoid the breaking free issue that dalecooper ran into, make sure the diameter of whatever you're putting in is small enough to surround with epoxy. that way you're not filling the whole brush with epoxy, but you're keeping everything else clamped nice and tight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I after knowing how tall the shelf needs to be, i superglue 2 nuts plus a piece of wine cork together. I then super glue that to the bottom of the handle. Then I fill it up with epoxy to the top of the cork and let it cure. Some guys use plaster, dry wall compound, the silicone you just bought, etc. I settled on my method because I can slowly add epoxy to the exact height I need, as the top of the cork is the height. Plus I like a heavier brush that doesnt float in the sink.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Great! Thanks all. I shaved a cork down to size and put some of the silicone adhesive all around it. I tried to make the cork a little narrower in the center so that more silicone could get in there and add more weight to it. The heft seems just about right. It's curing now and I'll put the knot in tomorrow morning. I should have taken some pictures along the way for future reference, but I was excited about working on it and forget. Completed pictures will be up tomorrow ...

Top Bottom