What's new

Shaving with Rosacea

I was wondering if anyone on here suffers from Rosacea? I went to my dermatologist the other day, and she believes I have mild papulopustular Rosacea(basically Acne+Rosacea). The downside is that my face is extremely sensitive to Alcohol, Witch Hazel, Menthol, Eucalyptus Oil, and anything that's moderately/extremely fragranced.

So basically half of my shaving gear will have to be put on hold for awhile:
C.O. Bigelow/Proraso Green
Proraso White:frown::frown:
Most of my soaps that are moderately fragranced C&E Sienna, Cade, etc.
Thayers Witch Hazel:mad:

Does anyone else have any recommendations on what creams, soaps, and ASB/ASL to use? I'm thinking about using Speick because it looks like most of the ingredients aren't too bad for my skin.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I was recently diagnosed with a mild case of Rosacea as well, so hopefully there are others here that can recommend products.

Gillette, Arko, The Real Shaving Company, and VDH Glycerine all have sensitive formulations that work well when my psoriasis flares up. They even help with the itching.

I have rosacea, but so far wet shaving hasn't seemed to exacerbate it, and I've tried a variety of products. Rosacea is somewhat personal in terms of what things will flare it for you. For me it's red wine, too much sun, wind, stress.

Suggestions: Let it calm down. I like Cetaphil bar (the gentle cleansing one, not the antibacterial) for my facial soap- it's really helped a lot. When you try to go back, concentrate on minimizing irritation. Don't build lather on your face. Don't do as many passes--I do two. Try products for sensitive skin like T&H Ultimate comfort. Avoid anything with alcohol. Minimize any aftershave routine for a while, then add one thing at a time and see if it has an affect.

Remember, you've always been shaving, and you'll still need to. You just may need to find the products and methods you personally need to avoid.

ETA: Don't be discouraged. It may just be one or two products giving you the problem. I was personally amazed I didn't break out with DE shaving since my past experience with any facial products (moisturizers, sunscreens) has been poor, even with the all natural ones. Let the face settle down, then re-start slowly with one product at a time. I also wash my face *after* shaving (using cetaphil). I usually just wet it for a while beforehand. Washing after may help remove residue of cream better.

Last edited:
I have it too and have found only one soap, Ogallala Bay Rum/Sandlewood, that caused it to flare up. Too bad as I really thought it was a good soap. I'm not even positive it was the soap though as it the flareups could have been the result of too much sun.

The cause of flare-ups vary for different individuals. I've been using Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser or Nancy Boy Mild Facial Cleanser.

http://www.cetaphil.com/Products/cleansers.aspx

http://www.nancyboy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_20&products_id=28

I have not yet determined which is the best shaving soap or cream, but Tabac soap and Taylor of Old Bond Street cream for sensitive skin are in the running. I'm thinking about transitioning mainly to shaving soaps.

I have not yet determined the best aftershave or moisturizer. One that I liked has been discontinued. Right now, I'm trying Nancy Boy Replenishing Facial Moisturizer. I have several other products on order.

MinnMD

S

sanjituniverse

Hi TFrankMac,

Here is some more information on rosacea that could be of use to you.

Research indicates that rosacea is hereditary. This means that it can run down the family tree if your parents or their parents were victims of the same disorder. There are three well known forms of rosacea. The first subtype is called Erythematotelangiectatic Rosacea in which there is permanent flushing or redness and those affected blush easily. There can be some itching or burning sensation on the skin and sometimes tiny blood vessels are visible. The other is Papulopustular Rosacea in which there is permanent redness accompanied with re bumps containing pus. In most cases, many people confuse it with acne. The third subtype is called Phymatous Rosacea and its symptoms include an enlarged nose. Small blood vessels can be seen at the skin surface thickening the affected skin. It also affects other places including the ears and eyelids. The last one is Ocular Rosacea in which eyes and eyelids become dry, red and are irritating.

Some useful information here.

I am thinking I will continue with Arko for shaving soap and get the Nivea sensitive ASB.

This is an old thread, but shaving with rosacea can be a chore. It was pure misery with disposables or electric. I use a mild razor, gillette tech, and I use arko which i have no problems with, but I want to try to come up with a soap of my own. I have problems with alcohol, like in after shaves, so I an alum chunk to go over my face and then use 50/50 alcohol free witch hazel and rosewater. I have good luck with this. I have not used a wide range of blades, but astra's are working great for me. Duller blades seem to irritate my face AND the rosacea.

I still have to keep ahead of it, but shaving no longer brings out a huge red patch like it did with the disposable head razors or an electric.

Good thread, even if it's a resurrection.

This is an old thread, but shaving with rosacea can be a chore. It was pure misery with disposables or electric. I use a mild razor, gillette tech, and I use arko which i have no problems with, but I want to try to come up with a soap of my own. I have problems with alcohol, like in after shaves, so I an alum chunk to go over my face and then use 50/50 alcohol free witch hazel and rosewater. I have good luck with this. I have not used a wide range of blades, but astra's are working great for me. Duller blades seem to irritate my face AND the rosacea.

I still have to keep ahead of it, but shaving no longer brings out a huge red patch like it did with the disposable head razors or an electric.

Good thread, even if it's a resurrection.

'Funny thing" is that Witch Hazel is one of the things approx 20% of people with Rosacea has a negative reaction to.
I'm hoping I'm in the 80% group as I'm interested to order and try some.

Alcohol is a complete no-no for me though (on my face that is..).

I have Rosacea, and the Metronidazole I have currently been prescribed is not much use as the medications before it. Alcohol aftershave stings but is not that uncomfortable giving you a manly Kevin in Home Alone feel. I would avoid menthol products, they are annoying. I just touch up the very sore areas with Savlon cream. I also staying away from home so I am using Mach 3 Sensitive disposable razors, however I have no idea if these make any difference.

Last edited:
I have Rosacea, and the Metronidazole I have currently been prescribed is not much use as the medications before it. Alcohol aftershave stings but is not that uncomfortable giving you a manly Kevin in Home Alone feel. I would avoid menthol products, they are annoying. I just touch up the very sore areas with Savlon cream.

What shaving soap do you use?

I have had to change my shaving oil as that contains menthol and can be replaced by something menthol free. My usual shaving oil is menthol free, but having difficulties getting a new supply.

Top Bottom