What's new

Shaving with an Injector - What Am I Missing?

While the E and G will offer a bit more aggression, you might consider the Type O clone from EBarbershop.

They’re modern, not too expensive. I do very well with them using a twin Schick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a pal injectomatic if you want to live on the wild side. Mine is more efficient than the schick e2, which is considered to be one of the most efficient injectors.

Had my first experience with the PAL Injectomatic this past weekend. I have to say it is quite a razor (in a good way). After years of Schicks, nice to try something a little different.

The PAL injectomatic is an excellent razor and gives a really close shave. Use a light touch with it. I highly recommend the PAL for a change of pace.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought an E2 on eBay last night. (It pivots open, so from what I can tell there's not much question that it's an E2.)

I had another nice shave today, but I think that the J1 is just too mild/inefficient for me. Right after the shave, my face felt smooooth, but the feeling only lasted an hour or two. I could feel growth an hour or two later - which is much faster than with other razors.

So I'm hopeful that the E2 will solve my problems. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to spring for some twin blades.
You should enjoy your E2 and if it swivels the spring open you more than likely have a great razor and easy cleaning and if you decide down the road using the B20 Schick proline blades they are very easy to install also. All what the other folks have mentioned is very accurate IMO.
Schick swivel1.jpg

I was interested in the comments above about the Pal Injecto-matic injector razor. I've been shaving with the Pal Injecto-matic daily for the past 12 mornings. I have a tough beard. I do not find it highly aggressive. To my face it is comparable the Schick Type G. And it certainly is milder than the Schick Type E models.

Vintage razors could have been dropped or the springs could be loose from someone tinkering with the razor. I do believe the pal injectomatics made in England are a tad more efficient than the ones made in the US. I have a few injectomatics and a few schick e2s. In my experience, the injectomatics have more blade feel, cut closer, and somehow are smoother. I do have to be more cautious of the angle and pressure when shaving with the injectomatics because they are more prone to biting. I use my injectors with schick blades. Maybe the choice in blades could make a difference.

I just realized I have been referring to the opening '30's Schick as an E1 instead of an E2 that I pictured. I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I would love to find the a flat spring E1.

I just realized I have been referring to the opening '30's Schick as an E1 instead of an E2 that I pictured. I am sorry for any confusion I may have caused. I would love to find the a flat spring E1.

I admit that I was aware that the picture you showed earlier in this thread was not of a E1 but wondered if it was either a posting mistake or got dubbed on a buy, so let it ride. The E1 that I posted was purchased locally from an older guy who said his dad use to travel to the U.S. for sales back in the day when he purchased it. Rare to see them posted on the bay or similar.
As far as the early E2 models that open spring to clean I believe they were the U.S. made models similar to the E1 in that function. I've yet to see a Canadian E2 that was designed to open. Some forced but that's a different story.

Or more to the point - is that all there is?

Freed from the annual restraint, I decided to make an inexpensive foray into a new area of shaving for me: injectors.

I bought a fairly inexpensive J1 injector of of the 'bay and some Chicks from Amazon. I cleaned up the injector, inserted a fresh blade, and....

I got a decent shave. Today was my second shave and it's very nice. Reasonably smooth, very mild, no irritation. But there really wasn't any magic to the experience. Given the relatively long handle and the lightness, it seemed very close to shaving with a Gillette Guard.

Now there are a lot of things that are worse than a mindless, reasonably smooth shave. But I'm wondering if there's a part of the injector experience that I'm missing.

So go ahead - educate me!

Not to be snarky, but it depends on what you want from a shave. Me? I'm back to "Get it over with." I get less irritation with single blade razors, and now better shaves with DE and SE than cartridges or disposables. Plus, the blades are cheaper than cartridges. A good, comfortable, one-pass DFS is all I ask.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm using a fat handled Tech with triangular holes this week. Why? Saturday, I had a rare 5:00 shadow after using the Type L clone, and, going out for the evening, bumped it down with a Bic disposable. Sunday I wanted to avoid excessive irritation, and reached for the Tech. I'm finishing the week with it because I'm cheap and want to get good use out of the blade. It's doing the job.

So will I go back to the Injector? Likely. Because I like it precisely for the reasons you don't. That's cool. The injectors I have give me what I want in a shave, and that's all I ask.

Ron R

I admit that I was aware that the picture you showed earlier in this thread was not of a E1 but wondered if it was either a posting mistake or got dubbed on a buy, so let it ride. The E1 that I posted was purchased locally from an older guy who said his dad use to travel to the U.S. for sales back in the day when he purchased it. Rare to see them posted on the bay or similar.
As far as the early E2 models that open spring to clean I believe they were the U.S. made models similar to the E1 in that function. I've yet to see a Canadian E2 that was designed to open. Some forced but that's a different story.
I have noticed the rougher textured E2 Schicks have the swing spring to the left are the only ones that have that feature or just modify the spring keeper like I did and it works great(it's a pain in the ..... to do). Schick stopped doing this feature with the swing spring to left for legal issues possibly IMO!?
You can see the rough texture on this model were you insert the key, that model has the rough texture all over the top cap assembly also.
e2 head.jpg

My E1 opens and is smooth. Can take straight facing pics when I get home. I like the opening feature although many claim that it's not needed.

So, my E2 has a smooth finish and E3 (two dimples) rough.

Sorry again for causing confusion and congrats on finding a rare E1.

So, my E2 has a smooth finish and E3 (two dimples) rough.

Sorry again for causing confusion and congrats on finding a rare E1.

No worries and no confusion as we are all here to share and learn. I was lucky in that find.

Opened by moving spring to left.
F7D944E1-835D-4722-B13D-774C7708C60F.jpeg
74541F71-1D0C-4430-AAD0-E8827E2C13DD.jpeg

Ron R

No worries and no confusion as we are all here to share and learn. I was lucky in that find.

Opened by moving spring to left.
View attachment 933218 View attachment 933219
I have not seen a E1 with that spring notched like yours, they seem to have some engineer who just like to change things every year on the E2 spring keepers or spring configuration.(joking) I have 3 Canadian version Schick E2 razors and the spring keeper indents are a little modified in their appearance but basically secure the spring. I like your E1 and that was a good idea for a simple method of cleaning and installing blades manually if a person wanted that option.

OK - I need some advice.

I'm liking my shaves with the injector for what they are. And I'm looking forward to trying out the E2 that should arrive tomorrow. To top it off, I just purchased a NOS 4-blade Twin Blade set.

I'll be participating in the 2019 annual sabbatical and plan on experimenting with the injectors through the year. Here's my question: is there anything else that I should be thinking about purchasing before the end of the year? The 3 things that I've been thinking about are a Schick Adjustable, an eBarbershop clone, and some more twin blades.

As a recap, I find the J1 that I have to be a little mild for me. I'm hoping that the E2 and/or the twin blades in the J1 will up the game for me. Do I need anything else? Should I be buying one of the O clones before they go out of business as rumored? Or will I just be paying for basically more of the same?

Thanks for your help.
Bob

Schick twin injector blades are the best blades that I've ever used (I buy them for like $27 for a pack of 10 off ebay). They work exceptionally in any razor and last for 40+ shaves (the twin blades are expensive, but the number of shaves and quality of shaves are worth it). They will work in your schick j1, but putting them in a schick i1 or a schick adjustable cranked to a high setting will increase the efficiency and get you the results that you are after. I don't have any experience with NOS twin blades. I would try the twin injectors in your schick j1 before buying a ebarbershop clone because the clone will not shave as close (milder). I haven't tried the schick proline injector blades, but some people say they prefer them over the regular schick blades.

Do not use twin blades on E series razors as they were never designed for the thicker blades. Twins are for the L & M series.

Top Bottom