What's new

Shaving Time

At home, my full routine runs 15-20 minutes post shower or face-wash. Shaving at the gym generally runs less than ten minutes.

Most of the time, between 15 - 20 minutes (prep, shave, cleanup); since converting over to wet shaving (DE's mostly), I enjoy shaving, so I don't try to rush things. Straights take me well beyond 30 minutes.

Being fully retired, I am in no hurry. I usually take 20 to 30 minutes for the entire shaving process from prep to final clean up of my MBR sink.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Twenty minutes maybe, more if I dawdle (which I usually do). As I am retired, I have the time to enjoy the ritual.

I'm retired, so never in a rush. Even carting my shave gear from a bedroom nightstand and back, it probably doesn't take me more than 20 minutes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Depends what I'm using.

If I'm doing a regular shave with my Jagger DE loaded with a blade I like, and lathering with Palmolive or Mitchells with my regular boar brush, I can be done within 5 minutes, start to finish. Add a little more if I'm chasing perfection for a special event.

If however, I'm using one of the premium soaps which take ages to lather and gradually incorporate the water into, or using a straight or shavette, I'll barely be into my first pass after five minutes. I lathered with PannaCreama Nueva today. I could probably have done a full shave with my regular kit in the time it took me to get the lather right.

Depends if I shave with a straight or DE. Shaving with a straight takes me longer because I have started 6 months ago and DE already 7 years.
I would say straight 20-30 minutes with stropping, and DE 5-10 minutes.

Id say probably about 10 minutes. I could probably cut it down to 5 if I rushed and only did 1 pass but what would be the fun in that?

I had never thought about the time it takes to do my daily ablutions. So, this morning, I put on a dive watch and timed myself from start to finish.

2 minutes pre-shower prep (setting out clothing, wallet, wristwatch, etc.) +
15 seconds post-shower prep (setting out hair gel, comb) +
3 minutes shave prep (new razor blade, set out shave soap, beard wax, beard comb, scissors, etc.) +
20 minutes for a relaxing hot shower +
2 minutes drying off +
2 minutes wiping bathtub/shower walls +
30 seconds putting wet towels in the hamper +
2 minutes post-shower (comb and style hair, trim fingernails) +
14 minutes shaving (lathering, three passes) +
5 minutes post-shave (trim moustache, wax and comb beard, apply ASB) +
5 minutes cleanup (rinse and dry all shaving gear, put everything away, wipe vanity) +
15 seconds turning on the dehumidifier +
2 minutes to get dressed

...for a total of 58 minutes. It's longer than I thought it would be, although I consciously took my time because it's a holiday. Maybe a regular workday would be about 35 minutes.

When I was living in a logging camp, my morning routine probably took less than 5 minutes. Showering in the morning was futile and most of us were trying to grow huge beards, so we rarely bothered to shave. :laugh:

My alarm goes off at 5am and I am showered and out of the bathroom with a bbs or close to it by 5:30. I figure 10-15 minutes.

I intentionally take my time. I’d rather skip a shave then rush as I enjoy it that much. From the minute I step out of the shower until I’m all cleaned up is probably 30 min.

As all the retired guys mentioned already, I take my time, too. If I'm in a hurry [seldom] I can face lather with stick and brush, and do an acceptable 2 pass shave. Otherwise, I can afford to take my time with brush, soap & bowl. I also do daily shaves comparing 2 razors and/or blades in a left side vs right side comparison. This gives me 2 razors to clean daily & I disassemble/open them & remove the blade, rinse it & flick it dry holding first one end, then the other. Razors get rinsed and towel dried. Maybe 30 minutes, sometimes longer.

since I'm a shower shaver, I'd have to include my shower time in there as well. I do a wash under the shower, turn off the water and start lathering. After pass one I do a very brief rinse of the face and head, turn the water off again and re-lather. After 2nd pass and touch-up I rinse the whole body and shaving brush. Total time is 1/2 hour.

Top Bottom