What's new

Shaving Stick . am I doing it right?

I've started using a stick whilst traveling, due to relatively small size and ease of use. Am using an LA Shaving Soap stick.

I find it hard to work up a lather directly from the stick, even with my travel brush (Wee Scot).

What seems to work best is to rub the stick on my wet stubble, then work up a face lather. Overall a very, very acceptable lather, and the brush holds enough for 2 - 3 passes.

Is this the "right" way to use a soap stick?

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There is no "right" way to use a shave stick. If how you use it works for you, then it's one right way. For myself, I load both my face and my brush. I find that this gives me a much better lather

another way you could try is to rub your nearly dry brush in the presoaked soap. just take some soap with your brush and then lather it up in your face by gently adding some water by diping your brush. At least this works great with my La Toja and my Tabak stick.

There is no "right" way to use a shave stick. If how you use it works for you, then it's one right way. For myself, I load both my face and my brush. I find that this gives me a much better lather
With some of my sticks in combination with some of my brushes I too do it this way.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sounds like it works. If you find that you are not getting enough lather, wet the tip of the stick while you apply to your whiskers and add more product. If you wet the tip of the stick before you start your prep, it helps. If that can be of any help, my face is wet and I re-wet the tip of the stick 2-4 times while applying before I build the lather. It depends on the soap. softer soaps require less where harder soaps require more water (but not always).

You only get one shot at applying enough soap so do not skimp on the application

Wet your face and rub the stick until it starts to drag

Dip it in water and rub on more

Do this over and over until you see a white covering on your face

Then take a moderately dry brush (soaked and squeezed or lightly shaken) and work the soap into a paste evenly.

Once you have a paste add water to your brush and go back.

Keep adding water until the lather is so thick and full it will no longer stay on your face and starts falling off

The ticket is to put enough soap on your face in the beginning then work to paste then work to lather

You only get one shot at applying enough soap so do not skimp on the application

Then take a moderately dry brush (soaked and squeezed or lightly shaken) and work the soap into a paste evenly.

Keep adding water until the lather is so thick and full it will no longer stay on your face and starts falling off

The ticket is to put enough soap on your face in the beginning then work to paste then work to lather
+2

The UPS man brought my first sticks of Arko tonight, so I'm trying it out in the morning. Wish me luck.

I found this thread while looking for this old tutorial. I think that this should be a help!

+4.
Shaving sticks DO need a quick run on water.
Quote Marco's saying:
More soap+more water=great lather

I did notice with my first try with ark that when applying the stick to your face, don't push too hard, especially on the edge neck stubble. I found that wetting the tip often and just applying it without a bunch of pressure works great.
I was getting irritation and narrowed it down to that. Now no more irritation.
TRY ARKO! !

You are using it, correctly. Just check out any YouTube video on 'how to use a shave-stick' and you can see how it is done. Have fun!

What seems to work best is to rub the stick on my wet stubble, then work up a face lather. Overall a very, very acceptable lather, and the brush holds enough for 2 - 3 passes.

Is this the "right" way to use a soap stick?

Does it work?

Then it's right.

Top Bottom