What's new

Shaving mug lids?

Anyone use lids for their mugs? Is it necessary? Does it have added benefits? Specifically for Cella and Arko does it help preserve scent? (I actually like Arko scent). I keep my mug in the medicine cabinet if that makes a difference.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Anyone use lids for their mugs? Is it necessary? Does it have added benefits? Specifically for Cella and Arko does it help preserve scent? (I actually like Arko scent). I keep my mug in the medicine cabinet if that makes a difference.
I use a lid for my mugs/bowls only if a lid was originally provided by the maker. I ensure that soap is fully dry before the lid is replaced, although I exclusively use vintage soaps and the lids are often not air tight. I have opened sealed soap bowls which were more than 50 years old and very little scent remained if any, so I do not feel that the lid preserves the scent, not in the long term anyway.

Plastic caps off frosting fit old spice mugs great. I use multiple soaps and may not get to one of mine in a mug for a month or so therefore the lid keeps the dust out. I let it dry out before placing lid back on.

Attachments

• 20230814_051659.jpg
    20230814_051659.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 35
Plastic caps off frosting fit old spice mugs great. I use multiple soaps and may not get to one of mine in a mug for a month or so therefore the lid keeps the dust out. I let it dry out before placing lid back on.

My wife normally has several frosting tins in the pantry. I just tried a lid and sure enough, it fit my Old Spice mug and several other mugs I use. Great tip, thanks! Now, how can I explain all the missing frosting lids?

I was able to procure some frosting lids from the pantry with my Wife's blessings. As @Tillerman noted, they fit my mugs perfectly. I used a red lid on my Old Spice mug, worked great but I didn't like the logo on the lid so I asked my Daughter if she could print out a decal for me. This was the result. It is good to have talented kids. She has an online store and creates custom decals.
20231009_144125.jpg

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
3" knockout plug works nicely. Not too airtight, easy to put on/off.

View attachment 1724660
Nemo:
I also use a 3in Knockout test (plumbers), cap as a Lid w/ my Sears & Roebuck® Catalog Ceramic Shaving Mug (Omega 10049 Professional Boar Brushes & Proraso® Green Shaving Soap for Sensitive Skin). :thumbsup:

1706301842597.jpeg

1706301865368.jpeg

96F0BD77-178E-4009-9EBE-9C55B3E4AD67.jpeg
Shaving Mug with Brush.jpg “Happiness is in the [shaving mug] that sweeps away the [uncertainties] of your heart”. Mort Walker

Last edited:
Overall I do not think it is necessary if you are using one soap, but if you are like me and have more than 6 soaps in the rotation I would recommend lids and it will help retain scent. Also keeps the dust out. I just let the soap dry off before putting the lid back on after use. Plus one for the 3 inch knockouts and the frosting lids. Below is a shot of a Ball canning jar lid painted red that fits nicely on the older Old Spice mugs if you have any with soap in them
1706310327993.png

I make wooden lids for my Old Spice mugs. They are not air tight and don't do much to retain scents. Some claim that is a plus with Arko and Williams...

It does allow me to stack my collection of too many lathering bowls on top of my too many mugs, all on display on top of the big mirrored cabinet above the sink. (Thank you, tolerant LOTH.)

Meanwhile, in front of the mirror, I continue to primarily use shave sticks and face lather without mug or bowl involvement. Curse you, de-evolution of shaving style!

Lids can keep the dust out. If you keep your mugs on a covered shelf, it probably doesn't matter. You will usually lose some scent if the air can freely circulate over the soap, especially if the soap is stored in a warm place.

I have used plastic lids from coffee cans and those round oatmeal containers. I prefer the lids not to fit airtight, so they just sit loosely on top of the mug (more of a cover, really).

For up to three soaps in my primary rotation in ceramic mugs I don't use a lid as I use each one every 3-4 days. All my other soaps, that are used less frequently, are in containers with lids to keep out dust and better preserve the scent.

Scent does dissipate significantly for my soaps like Arko and even Tabac when kept in an open mug.

Top Bottom