What's new

Shaving in space.

I was wondering how do they shave in the ISS. What precautions are taken against loose hair. Is it wet shaving or dry electric?

They must be shaving up there since I have not seen any astronauts or cosmonauts land on Earth looking like Santa Clauses.

Most of them prefer electric because the loose clippings pose a threat to the air recycling systems and all the array of electronics, those who rather shave with a razor use disposables and they use a “special” cream as a lubricant and wipe clean the razor in a cloth since there are no sinks with running water, if they wear a mustache and they need a trim they use a vacuum to collect the clipping as they trim.

Notice some, probably most, wet shave with a cartridge. Makes sense as the foam will hold the shaved stubble in the mass. However, those cartridges must get clogged up very quickly with no water to rinse.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ah... Beat me to it! I was going to say the same thing. It would be funny if they actually still used the Techmatic like the Apollo missions. :)

I still use the Techmatic! It's a great shave; "the father of carts."

Harder and harder to get bands, though.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a pretty good stash of unopened carts. Hit me up if you get desperate.

Thanks!

If you like Techmatics, you might like this thread from last year.

Bunch of shaved with Techmatics for the Apollo 11 50th anniversary.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
OMG I had one of those and until now had absolutely no memory of it.

Ok; but did you like it?

Most people recall hating them, but when we-all actually SHAVED with one, we all found they were pretty good.

I still would use it as a travel razor. Not to the moon, though.

Well, maybe!

AA

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ok; but did you like it?

Most people recall hating them, but when we-all actually SHAVED with one, we all found they were pretty good.

I still would use it as a travel razor. Not to the moon, though.

Well, maybe!

AA
No idea how I liked it. Didn’t even remember having one. Must not have used it very long though. When the Trac II came out I stopped using my DE. I loved the Trac II and III far better than the DE. If I ever get to the point I can’t use a straight razor, I’ll go back to the Trac III.

They have an official watch for space (Omega). They have official writing tools. I am somewhat surprised NASA did not pour a few billions into developing the official high tech razor.

I still use the Techmatic! It's a great shave; "the father of carts."

Harder and harder to get bands, though.

AA
I also still use a Techmatic now and again. I like the razor, but as you say, bands are getting hard to get. The thing I have discovered with the razor is that one MUST watch the angle. If done right it is an excellent shave. If done wrong, it looks like an 80s slasher movie! :) Glad Im not the only one that still enjoys the dark horse of the razor world! :)

I've been shaving from space for a long time!
Proraso Blue!
Works great!

proraso blue ikon muhle chanel bleu july 23 2015.jpg

Top Bottom