What's new

Shaving ATG is no longer worth it for me.

For many years my standard shaving routine was a single pass north-south. This meant that I was effectively shaving against the grain on the lower part of my neck. Even though I always got pretty good results, there were days when it just didn't feel comfortable.

Today I decided to stop this practice. From now on I will shave the lower part of my neck with the grain, so in an upward/north direction. Since I shave daily, I no longer see the benefit of shaving against the grain. Stubble will return and no one will be inspecting my face in my day to day life.

I guess there's some truth in the old adage to never shave against the grain. YMMV.

I never shaved against the grain for 20-odd years of DE shaving; my skin just didn't like it. Recently, I have found that ATG with a straight is actually quite comfortable, and I can do it daily. Don't know whether my skin has just given up as I got older, but straights are generally more forgiving; either way, I am fine with it. :)

I never shaved against the grain for 20-odd years of DE shaving; my skin just didn't like it. Recently, I have found that ATG with a straight is actually quite comfortable, and I can do it daily. Don't know whether my skin has just given up as I got older, but straights are generally more forgiving; either way, I am fine with it. :)
Could it be that the blade is more rigid?

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
I've never had a problem doing it daily with DE or SE, but agree that it's even smoother with a straight, and even closer under my chin.

Pretty clumsy on certain parts of my neck at this point in my SR journey though. Have to work on my contortion skills I guess :D

For many years my standard shaving routine was a single pass north-south. This meant that I was effectively shaving against the grain on the lower part of my neck.

That would be absolute carnage for me...in fact it was, and it was looking for a "solution" to that carnage that led me to DE shaving, where I learned about WTG / ATG and that I had been going ATG on my neck without realising.

I got away with it when I was young, but by the time I reached my 30s it was causing serious issues. At that point I didn't know any better because nobody ever taught me how to shave.

But like @silverlifter I have now discovered the joy of ATG neck shaving with an open blade. I think rigidity, angle and a lighter touch than other razors allow all combine to make it possible. Still can't do it with a DE though, and certainly not a multi-blade monstrosity.

I used to shave my neck from "north to south," which is what lots of other people seem to do. I discovered that for me, "north to south" on my neck is ATG and much more likely to cause irritation. Now, I start my shaves on my neck going "south to north" (for me, WTG). After this simple change I am far less likely to get neck skin irritation.

Until very recently, no one shaved against the grain. This is a post-internet thing that came along with the late boom in traditional wet shaving. I never shaved against the grain until I too got swept up in the fad.

Feel free to not shave against the grain.

For many years my standard shaving routine was a single pass north-south. This meant that I was effectively shaving against the grain on the lower part of my neck. Even though I always got pretty good results, there were days when it just didn't feel comfortable.

Today I decided to stop this practice. From now on I will shave the lower part of my neck with the grain, so in an upward/north direction. Since I shave daily, I no longer see the benefit of shaving against the grain. Stubble will return and no one will be inspecting my face in my day to day life.

I guess there's some truth in the old adage to never shave against the grain. YMMV.
Great that you found your way to a comfortable shave.
However, personally, I see great benefit of shaving against the grain. To the degree that I shave ATG almost entirely. Exception is my chin, since I have a cleft chin.

I found the explanation here.

PS. The same study explains why shaving short hair (one day growth for instance) is better than long hair (two-day or more).

Last edited:
Shaving ATG I am sure has been around since shaving started :)
I am only 60 but how I started shaving was wtg and atg and something my dads dad taught him and sure that is how my dads dad learned also from his dad and so on :)

but yeah if one does not like it dont do it

I couldn’t get the results that I get with a single pass shave.

Neither do I follow religiously the WTG, XTG, ATG philosophy, as with my beard growth most passes have a certain amount of XTG in them. This is how my technique evolved in 20 odd years of traditional shaving.

Everyone should shave in the way that brings the results one is looking for.
I just happen to like the 2½ pass shave as it gives me the results that I am looking for, while others may like more or less passes. To each his own…

B.

In fact, shaving against the grain is not a new practice imposed by a modern trend.
My grandfather used to shave against the grain, but I didn't understand why he didn't do it all the time. Until one day out of curiosity I asked why it didn't do it every time. The answer was that shaving against the grain did not cause him irritation, only when the blade was sharp. That is, he was shaving against the grain, only when putting on a new blade.

Now I shave against the grain every time, but I never wait for the blade to wear out.

When I shaved daily, with a cart, it was one pass, North-South, in the morning, after my shower. SAS shave, off to work.

Now my typical every-other day DE shave is always a 3-pass shave: N-S, E-W, S-N, followed by touch-up. Near BBS, off to...?

I've never mapped my beard, so I have no idea which pass is truly ATG in all areas, but by doing three passes, I feel like I'm hitting those pesky whiskers from (almost) every direction.

Top Bottom