What's new

Shaving/Aftershave Irritation from chlorine? (Pool water)

Does chlorine cause enhanced burning when applying alcohol based aftershaves?

I started swimming every day and I shower afterwards. While in the shower I wash my face with soap and use Rugged and Dapper face scrub.

Every other day I shave after I shower. I’ve noticed when I apply alcohol based aftershaves, it burns like hell when it didn’t used to (before swimming in my pool). Is the chlorine and aftershave causing the enhanced burning sensation on my face? I’m pretty sure it is, I’m just hoping someone else has experienced this so they can confirm.

Never had the experience but i’d say absolutely yes. Chlorine is awful for your skin. A quick search yielded this:

The immune system may identify the chlorine as a “foreign invader” like a bacteria or virus and become inflamed and irritated. The chlorine can also remove the natural oils on the skin, causing it to become dry. Even if you bathe or rinse off after exposure, some element of the chlorine remains on your skin.

My guess is it’s drying and irritating your skin which makes it like shaving over a sunburn and then tossing alcohol on the finished product. I wouldn’t be worried or stop swimming, but i’d accept it as a new reality.

You also use a a face scrub which, considering the chlorine and the alcohol aftershave is overkill on your skin, ditch the scrub and the alcohol aftershave for a while, use a good aftershave balm or non alcohol splash if you don't like balms, Lucky Tiger is my go to for those days I over expose my face to the elements, has no alcohol and is loaded with all kinds of good stuff for you skin, very light citrusy scent, is a must have on my book!

Ok gents. I have confirmed chlorine from pool water and alcohol based aftershaves do not play well with each other on the playground of my face. My next shave was with Stirling Executive Man and I chose the matching witch hazel based aftershave balm and experienced zero irritation or burn.

So, no more alcohol based aftershaves during pool season. But as I live in Goodyear AZ and it is summertime, I’ll take the pool over alcohol based aftershaves any day.

You also use a a face scrub which, considering the chlorine and the alcohol aftershave is overkill on your skin, ditch the scrub and the alcohol aftershave for a while, use a good aftershave balm or non alcohol splash if you don't like balms, Lucky Tiger is my go to for those days I over expose my face to the elements, has no alcohol and is loaded with all kinds of good stuff for you skin, very light citrusy scent, is a must have on my book!
+1

...So, no more alcohol based aftershaves during pool season. But as I live in Goodyear AZ and it is summertime, I’ll take the pool over alcohol based aftershaves any day.
You could also change your routine so you shave at night, that would give your skin time to recover.

You could also change your routine so you shave at night, that would give your skin time to recover.

Unfortunately I swim after work every day and shower/shave immediately after. Currently working from home and just don’t feel like getting up early to shave.

The above - a nice AS balm or WH solution after shaving, to replenish moisture and "settle" things down post-chlorine exposure. Several good ones - GFT Skin Food, Luck Tiger, M&M 's non-alcohol splashes, all of Southern Witchcrafts' splashes, T+S, Proraso, Myrsol, Speick, CC balms; lots of options.

The above - a nice AS balm or WH solution after shaving, to replenish moisture and "settle" things down post-chlorine exposure. Several good ones - GFT Skin Food, Luck Tiger, M&M 's non-alcohol splashes, all of Southern Witchcrafts' splashes, T+S, Proraso, Myrsol, Speick, CC balms; lots of options.

Thank you for the suggestions. So far I’ve been using Stirling balms, TOBS, and T&H which have been working out well. I do think it’s time to try some new ones through.

I thought it would be a good idea to put my face in the hot tub to prep it, but when I got out to shower. Boom! Ingrown hairs!! So my curiosity got the best of me that day lol.

Top Bottom