What's new

Shaving advent calendar

Day 8: a very practical and useful item, but not much to say about it, She got me an Alum block

and yes, I am incredibly blessed, she is an amazing woman and somehow she loves me like this. and I am absolutely going to do my best to pay her back with interest on this, her birthday and next Christmas are going to be big, just trying to come up with enough different ideas to make it work now

Day 8: a very practical and useful item, but not much to say about it, She got me an Alum block

and yes, I am incredibly blessed, she is an amazing woman and somehow she loves me like this. and I am absolutely going to do my best to pay her back with interest on this, her birthday and next Christmas are going to be big, just trying to come up with enough different ideas to make it work now

Alum block is great utility shave item!
Like a towel or brush stand, it simply works!
Great to remove slickness or close a pore!
Enjoy!

creed santal art of shaving joris alum taylor old bond st sandalwood november 19 2015.jpg

Yeah, I am just starting out with DE shaving, so I didn't have one, and I am greatful and appreciative for it, there just isn't much else to say about it
I have a few alum blocks plus a few books of those alum matchsticks from various shaving kits but unlike shave creams and razors only tend to have one of each alum type on the go at once. I know some people like to use alum with every shave (or even to judge the quality of the shave) but I use them very rarely now only if I cut myself. I understand the Osma ones are some of the best as they are a solid cut not just compressed powder. I should probably list a few unopened low end ones on ebay.

Last edited:
Day 9: Full size TOBS Jermyn St Cologne- the best thing about this is my wife loves it, it is a really nice classy fougere that I enjoy, and I can't wait to wear for my wonderful wife (based on her reaction I think we are both winning on this one)

Day 10: a soap sample and another EDT
Noble Otter Rawr- this smells really good, not as citrusy as I would have expected from the scent notes, but a really good scent
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man EDT- very nice, fresh, green scent, never smelled Creed Green Irish Tweed that it is based on, but this smells really good

Day 12: a TOBS shaving cream sample and a stirling lip balm
Stirling Caramel apple lip balm- smells like a caramel coated apple, they really nail that scent
TOBS Royal Forest- a pleasant cologne like smell, I don't really get Aventus, but some of the notes might come out when I lather it

So yesterday got really busy and I didn't get to post so here is a two day round up with some interesting scents
Day 13: three soap samples
Razor Emporium Nordic- a clean scent that does somehow convey being somewhere cold, not a scent that gives me a strong opinion of it either way
Razor Emporium Citrus- my first take was it was a stonger smelling Sprite scent, my wife thought lemon scented clorox wipes, either way an artificial lemon/lime scent
Chiseled Face Midnight Stag- I know this one has strong opinions on here for good reason. It has a long list of scent notes that are basically all overpowered by the smell of motor oil, if you like the smell of a jiffy lube this is for you

Day 14: two soap samples, an aftershave sample and a EDT sample
Geo F Trumper Almond- smells like candied almonds, a sweet pleasant scent
Chiseled Face Sherlock (soap and matching aftershave samples)- the smell of wet dirt overpowers any other scent notes to me
Stirling Gaitlinburg EDT- was excited about this one but it left me underwhelmed. It is a bland generic cologne smell to me, my wife thinks it smells like an expired old lady perfume

Not the top days I have had for finding things I like, but part of the process of samples is figuring things out before investing in a full size

Day 16: a pack of pucks from a company I have never heard of, Oversoyed, they are a vanilla musk scent that smells pretty good, no idea how it will perform, but I will let you guys know when I try it

Day 17: a soap sample and an aftershave sample today
Stirling Sharp Dressed Man- really good smelling soap, pleasant green scent
Clubman Classic Vanilla- I really like this aftershave, it is a classic aftershave scent with an added hint of vanilla

Day 18: I got a small scrap of paper that said see day 1 box

The day 1 box contained my actual gift for the day, a full size tub of Stirling Solidus shave soap- it is a really nice smell, a little better than it's matching aftershave

Day 19: Another two samples today, a soap and a cream
Razor Emporium Fireside- it has a warm spice scent to me, I like it, it seems like a cold weather scent
TOBS Mr. Taylor- a bright pleasant fougere, another TOBS offering that my wife loves

Busy day yesterday, but here it is
Day 20: a couple of post shave balms
Zingari Man Navigator- talked about the scent before with the soap, the balm smells just as nice and I am looking forward to using it
L'Occitane Eau de Baux post shave balm- another good scent, subtle but pleasant

Top Bottom