What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

It was fun. I was nervous at first,but that faded pretty quick. Even after I nicked myself I enjoyed the rest of the shave. When I first started DE shaving I was getting nicks and cuts, and some razor burn. I kept at it I found this fantastic site and learned a lot about shaving I didn't know. I will make mistakes and learn from them.
Yep, nothing like one of those disposable blade straight razors to make you feel like a newbie again. I just got my second one and its like starting shaving all over again. Its a lot of fun! DE shaving can be predictable after a while.

Yep, nothing like one of those disposable blade straight razors to make you feel like a newbie again. I just got my second one and its like starting shaving all over again. Its a lot of fun! DE shaving can be predictable after a while.
Absolutely, I was feeling like a complete newbie tonight. Doing my right mustache area and brought the blade right into it. Got a nice little slice. Nothing bad, just a little blood. Practice, practice, practice.
Tonight's shave
Magic Shavette
Dorco ST301 Blade
Williams Mugshave Soap
Van Der Hagen Badger Brush
Thayer's Witch Hazel Splash
English Leather AS
I got a DFS other than the little slice 0 irritation. I'm going to keep going, I believe I can get to a BBS , I will always love my DE razor's, but have room for the shave the as well.
IMG_20170603_210105.jpg

image.jpeg
Tonight's shave. No nicks, cuts, or irritation.
Magic razor
Dorco ST301 blade
Mennen brushless shave cream
Thayers Witch Hazel splash
Old Spice AS

Today was the second shave with the Weck hair shaper with the Fromm blade. Aside from one weeper that disappeared almost immediately there was no blood. Just a bit of irritation. Still trying to work out some of the shave angles. I'm finding it pretty difficult to go ATG on my neck which requires shaving right to left. Consequently that area didn't get completely smooth.

I think I'm going to save the shavette for my weekend shaves. When I'm not so tired from work, and can take my time. I'll check back in on Saturday.

It was foolish of me to start reading this thread again from the beginning..... Looking for a Duane and a Vanta now...have contacted a seller in Italy to see if international shipping is possible....

It was foolish of me to start reading this thread again from the beginning..... Looking for a Duane and a Vanta now...have contacted a seller in Italy to see if international shipping is possible....
I agree Brian - this thread has rekindled my enthusiasm for shavettes.

My IBC with a half-DE blade gives an amazing shave that can easily match anything I know, and now after recent posts here I want to break out my full blade Universal!

I agree Brian - this thread has rekindled my enthusiasm for shavettes.

My IBC with a half-DE blade gives an amazing shave that can easily match anything I know, and now after recent posts here I want to break out my full blade Universal!

I'm waiting for an IBC at a decent price to show up on BST....and I've been trying to get sellers on ebay to ship me a Duane from Italy. One seller just said no, the other said they ship up to 5kg at 45 Euros so I should try and get the amount up to 5kg! I'm not doing that so the wait goes on, haha!
I did just buy the older model Feather shavette from the BST here, though. So that's heading my way from Romania at the moment!

Bah.... Ordered a Daune from a UK seller, too. My wife will kill me....
Ha ha - the Duane is a very nice shaver.
I got my Nikken and Pat V shavettes from those guys in Romania and it was all very good.
You've got me looking at the Varnas now Brian!

4 shaves intoUniversal full blade,it shouldnt shave this well.
I have to agree - the Universal Lama Intera shaves ridiculously well!
How does Don Denato do it?
IMG_7945.JPG

Don't tell anyone but I prefer the shave from the Universal to the Artist Clubs.
It doesn't have the same pizazz as the Feathers by any means but the Universal really delivers at the business end.

These DE blade shavettes are looked down on a bit eh?
Probably due to the low price and cheap build on most of them with the exception of the IBC.

But they really do deliver as good as or superior shaves as the Artist Clubs and true straights.

For sure the Feathers are works of art and true straights are a different way of life altogether but purely in terms of result the DE blade shavettes are simply amazing!

So on to the Universal Mezza Lama last night:

A truly great shave in every way.
The Universal has small blade exposure which is part of its genius.

And I do have a question:
Why are the lower nubs to position the blade so small/far apart on the Mezza Lama?
It means the blade is not held snugly when you mount it which can make loading a bit fiddly.
IMG_7947.JPG

On the Lama Intera the nubs are bigger and the half-blade fits perfectly, but with the small nibs on the Mezza Lama there is some play in the blade positioning.
Why,why,why Don Denato, why?

Classic Feather for the win!
IMG_7965.JPG

IMG_7966.JPG

IMG_7964.JPG

When I first acquired this razor I thought it was really ugly, now I think it's really beautiful.
Go figure!

Really nice shave with the non-folding Feather DX last night in preparation for today's 12hour shift.

In terms of quality and fun shaving the DX is probably as good as it gets!

Top Bottom