What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Please consider this my application for admission to SABRE.
IMG_2745.jpg

Thank you for the warm welcome, @Shave_Rat! It's my third-ever shavette. I had a Dovo in 2005 and have had a Feather Artist Club DX since 2006. The Dovo was passed on to a friend. I sought the Focus to have shavette option ready and waiting in the second bathroom.

Thank you for the warm welcome, @Shave_Rat! It's my third-ever shavette. I had a Dovo in 2005 and have had a Feather Artist Club DX since 2006. The Dovo was passed on to a friend. I sought the Focus to have shavette option ready and waiting in the second bathroom.
I love the quality and build of the Feather shavette's, but I never found a blade that worked well for me in them. :(

After missing two weeks, again, Shavette Saturday. Seventh shave with the Monsieur Charles. First on a new Personna blade. Stuck with my dominant hand. One pass and got about 80% of the stubble off. No nicks. Cleaned up with my Pal adjustable, nicked myself twice. Go figure.

A couple of nice Japanese shavettes arrived from Romania today.
Who knows how they got to Romania from Japan but now they're in Devon!

The first is a Nikken.
This appears to be identical to the Hess Ezy-Shave but with sturdier scales.
Even the scales have the same profile so I wonder what the connection is between Nikken and Hess?
In the photos the Hess has white scales and the Nikken has black scales.
Look! They're the same razor!
IMG_7671.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG

The second shavette is the confusingly named P.A.T. V Safety Razor (which isn't a safety razor at all).

This one takes the Feather AC blades and the jaws are closed by a clip which slides onto the spine.
The handle has perished a bit so I refreshed it with some mineral oil:
IMG_7672.JPG

IMG_7673.JPG

And guess what? It's a fabulous shaver.
It seems to have more blade exposure than a Feather DX so with an AC Pro blade it was a most excellent shave.

I loved my Cobra Classic and still love my Asylum Rx and Alumigoose v1 but shaves like this make me realise that the Artist Club blades really shine in shavettes.
IMG_7675.JPG

Picked up a couple of shavettes at the local antique mall this afternoon.
full

I found a Durham Duplex, a Weck Hair Shaper, and some Durham Duplex blades. Interestingly the blades came with the Weck, so I had to get the Durham :)

I was hoping I had found a Weck Sextoblade, but I forgot what little I know about Wecks so its the smaller shaper with the wrong guard for shaving. It should work just fine without the guard once I pick up the proper blades. The Duplex blades in the package look good. I don't know if they will need honing or stropping until I try them.

Picked up a couple of shavettes at the local antique mall this afternoon.
full

I found a Durham Duplex, a Weck Hair Shaper, and some Durham Duplex blades. Interestingly the blades came with the Weck, so I had to get the Durham :)

I was hoping I had found a Weck Sextoblade, but I forgot what little I know about Wecks so its the smaller shaper with the wrong guard for shaving. It should work just fine without the guard once I pick up the proper blades. The Duplex blades in the package look good. I don't know if they will need honing or stropping until I try them.
Good stuff! Those smaller Wecks fit in the hand nicely.

The second shavette is the confusingly named P.A.T. V Safety Razor (which isn't a safety razor at all).

This one takes the Feather AC blades and the jaws are closed by a clip which slides onto the spine.
The handle has perished a bit so I refreshed it with some mineral oil:
View attachment 789285
View attachment 789286
And guess what? It's a fabulous shaver.
It seems to have more blade exposure than a Feather DX so with an AC Pro blade it was a most excellent shave.

I loved my Cobra Classic and still love my Asylum Rx and Alumigoose v1 but shaves like this make me realise that the Artist Club blades really shine in shavettes.
View attachment 789287

Marcus,

I am curious as to how you load it. Do you have a couple of pictures of the locking mechanism ?

Thanks
F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus,

I am curious as to how you load it. Do you have a couple of pictures of the locking mechanism ?

Thanks
F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here you go my friend - there is a copper spring clip on the jaws and a metal sleeve which goes on the spine to keep the jaws shut:
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG

Has anyone tried the Feather Plier razor yet? Is it suitable for shaving??
Yes I have the Plier razor and blades - it is most certainly suitable for shaving and the Plier blades are on par with the Artist Club blades.
It is lighter and the head is narrower than the Artist Club razors.
As well as the proprietary Plier blades, Artist Club blades will also fit the head.

Because the Plier is so small and light I do not find it as satisfying to shave with as the Artist Club razors but it is a nifty thing that will do a great job.
And of course it's beautifully made.

Loaded up the Weck hair shaper with a fresh "Edge Ahead by Fromm" blade. It took a lot of contortions to get the blade angles right and I was only partially successful. Still pretty painless aside from a couple of random weepers.

image.jpeg
Hello, I've been wet shaving with DE razors for last 3 years. I really enjoy it, but over the last few weeks I have become interested in trying a shavette. I've been reading threads about them, and watching YouTube videos. Well today I jumped into it, I bought the Magic barbers razor from Sally beauty supply. I used it for my nightly shave. Not my best shave, but also not my worst. Got a couple of good nicks around my left nostril, I'm a righty. I did enjoy it, and will continue with it. I like the Magic, it feels a little light, once I get better with it I will probably upgrade to a better one. My set up tonight was as follows.
Magic from SBS
Dorco ST301 blade
African Black Soap Shave cream Butter
Thayers Witch Hazel Splash
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal AS.
Any tips or sugestions are appreciated. Thanks

View attachment 793725 Hello, I've been wet shaving with DE razors for last 3 years. I really enjoy it, but over the last few weeks I have become interested in trying a shavette. I've been reading threads about them, and watching YouTube videos. Well today I jumped into it, I bought the Magic barbers razor from Sally beauty supply. I used it for my nightly shave. Not my best shave, but also not my worst. Got a couple of good nicks around my left nostril, I'm a righty. I did enjoy it, and will continue with it. I like the Magic, it feels a little light, once I get better with it I will probably upgrade to a better one. My set up tonight was as follows.
Magic from SBS
Dorco ST301 blade
African Black Soap Shave cream Butter
Thayers Witch Hazel Splash
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal AS.
Any tips or sugestions are appreciated. Thanks
The Magic is a fun razor to try and a good intro to shavettes.

The Magic is a fun razor to try and a good intro to shavettes.
It was fun. I was nervous at first,but that faded pretty quick. Even after I nicked myself I enjoyed the rest of the shave. When I first started DE shaving I was getting nicks and cuts, and some razor burn. I kept at it I found this fantastic site and learned a lot about shaving I didn't know. I will make mistakes and learn from them.

Top Bottom