What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I have not had consistent results with the Personna blades. Gave it two boxes worth before I gave up (I was using them in a Dovo Shavette green holder). I went back to the Dovo long blades and couldn't be happier. YMMV

Thanks. I am getting good shaves with them, but they do seem a bit harsh(or maybe that's just the entire exposed blade thing). Seems like 3 or 4 might be the number. I also have a couple boxes but I'd like to try the other options as I really am enjoying shaving with this thing.

Speaking of the Weck, I shaved with it this morning, got a CCS with some scattered BBS around. Trying to find the right approaches for the different parts of the face is tricky. For example, I need a E to W pass on my neck, and for the life of me, can't figure that out at all. It's fun though, and it's like a 3D puzzle that is the shape of my face and if I don't get it right, I get a happy red reminder as a prize.:w00t:

Today the rare and exotic Schick Proline with a Kai Mild (3):
proxy.php

A tad less blade exposure than the DX, very smooth and manouverable and an amazing grip.
A fabulous shave [emoji3]

Was recently given a hair shaper Shavette from the 80s that looks like a weck. It was my mom's when she went through beauty school. It seems to work well with the personna hair shaper blades I got but I'm usually only shaving my head so I have a long way to go haha. Most of the time I use a DE for my head shaves so I just ordered a Parker knock off from Amazon so I can use my preferred blades to see if eliminating a variable helps me focus on technique.

Halyari and Facon inbound. Anyone even here of those before? I'll post pics when they turn up. Both are half DE shavettes. I can't wait.

The Halyari and Facon both arrived today despite being estimated to arrive Wednesday and Thursday. I won't shave with them until next week, as I am in the One Blade in February challenge. I will save them for the last week and see what I think. On with initial impressions and pics.

1st, the Halyari.
IMG_20170213_153111465.jpg

IMG_20170213_153256392.jpg

IMG_20170213_153350475_HDR.jpg

The build is probably nicer than what I expected for $15 dollars. The plastic looks good, and the scales are riveted together. The metal is sturdy and feels heavy compared to my Weck Hair shaper and the Facon. The weight of the razor with blade is 40g and all in the shank. The box is fine, not much to it, no padding inside, and the razor came wedged into it to ensure it didn't shift around. It came with two packs of Wilkinson Sword Blades. I found snapping the blades in two easier than I suspected, not that I thought it would be hard, but because they are so sharp, I wondered if I would cut myself, needlessly. Loading the half blade into the head was not so easy on the first go. I didn't realize the two halfs can be opened up a bit, and initially tried to slide it from the side. Kind of scary. Finally figured it out and seems like all things considered, it works as designed, and the blade sits securely where I assume it's supposed to. It looks to have a bit over a mm of blade exposure. The only drawback that I can tell just by looking at it, is the head is off-center a bit as I close the razor. The blade doesn't catch the edge, but it is noticeably not perfectly aligned. I don't know if I should expect more from a $15 dollar razor or not, but I will reserve ultimate judgement for when I see how it shaves.
Pics of the Facon and initial impressions forthcoming.

And now for the Facon. First, pics:
IMG_20170213_152031826.jpg

IMG_20170213_152811720.jpg

IMG_20170213_152325676.jpg

The Facon is not quite what I expected to get for a $7 razor. It seems of lesser quality than the Haryali and much lighter at 27g with a blade. Everything speaks of trying to minimize material. That said, the design seems pretty good as far as the blade holder goes. It slides in and out easily and intuitively loaded with no problem. The head design leaves very little blade exposure which actually makes me think it will be fairly aggressive. I don't think a shallow angle will even touch the blade to face, but if I get it right, I suspect the edge of the head might create a little pull on the skin to improve cutting action. The scales are plastic and glued together at the end. It came with a little plastic case and two packs of Gillette 7 O'clock sharp edge blades, which I happen to like. It was packed in a small envelope which I thought was dicey as it seems a heavy weight could affect this razor negatively. Just writing about these makes me want to try them. I may just bite the bullet and snap my February blade and see if I can ride these two to the finish line.

Thanks. First shave this morning with the Halyari. I must admit, it was good. My left cheek, neck and chin are still pretty smooth, my upper lip and right cheek feel a little scruffy. I will do a compare with the Facon, and then compare to the Weck in March.

Thanks. I am getting good shaves with them, but they do seem a bit harsh(or maybe that's just the entire exposed blade thing). Seems like 3 or 4 might be the number. I also have a couple boxes but I'd like to try the other options as I really am enjoying shaving with this thing.
I find the personas a bit harsh at first. They get better with use. At about a week, they are pretty perfect. I usually use them for around 2 weeks or so.
Today the rare and exotic Schick Proline
What?!? Schick made a shavette? Do tell! Where can I get one, lol?
All italian Inspiration!
I love the universal, that is s great razor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What?!? Schick made a shavette? Do tell! Where can I get one, lol?
Oh yes! The Proline is a beautiful thing.
You'll have to search long and hard to find one though, even in the Japanese auction sites.
This might be the only one outside of Japan... unless someone here knows better :001_smile

Another great shave today whit my Sanguine R5 Shavette, very close and comfy shave. I had a Astra blue(5) shaves whit Williams mug(modern). Great results

Hi all! I recently picked up a NOS WECK sextoblade in the wild and am looking for some more information on it. I am the proud owner of a great Durham Duplex and a WECK hair shaper (no guard) that I really enjoy, but this beauty is really something special to me. Looks like military issue?
IMG_1109.JPG
IMG_1110.JPG
IMG_1111.JPG
IMG_1112.JPG

Last edited:
Oh yes! The Proline is a beautiful thing.
You'll have to search long and hard to find one though, even in the Japanese auction sites.
This might be the only one outside of Japan... unless someone here knows better :001_smile

I have only one kamisori style schick shavette in hand ever.

I had a few different one in western style, they are mostly built to compete with feather on the professional market since schick is such a huge brand in japan they benefit from the brand recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anybody ever tried the IBC shavette, seem very interseting shavette and you can used DE, injecter or feather(kai captain) blades. I'm kind of interseded to bought one but I would like to know if anybody here had shaved whit one. I look at some reviews and it seems to be a very good one, but just curious.

Anybody ever tried the IBC shavette, seem very interseting shavette and you can used DE, injecter or feather(kai captain) blades. I'm kind of interseded to bought one but I would like to know if anybody here had shaved whit one. I look at some reviews and it seems to be a very good one, but just curious.
There's a thread with reviews of the IBC here:
IBC Shavette first impressions

I have one and it's very nice indeed.
There are some minor issues about play in the head and also the Artist Club blades contact the scales but it shaves really really well and feels good in the hand too.

First shave with my new Monsieur Charles barber razor. In fact, first shave with a shavette, period. No major wounds. Three nicks. Got a little more than three quarters of my face shaved on pass one, then finished up with my Schick injector. It is going to take some practice, I can tell.

I was wondering which was more common, switching hands as you switch side of your face? Or using your dominant hand through the entire shave?

I used my right hand for the whole shave. I tried my left hand, but it felt too awkward, and I was worried that I would seriously cut myself.

Top Bottom