What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

Is there a diference shaving with a De shavette versus an Artist club one? A universal shavette lama intera versus a Feather SS?
They're very different shaves. The Feather is closer to your Sextoblade than the Universal, but still shaves differently than both. Longer blade so the Feather handles very differently than the Universal.

Here is an old SOTD pic with my Vincent VT1321. Vincent products made sold by Sewicob International and are available from beauty and barber supply stores as well as ebay.

The VT 1321 is an inexpensive razor that accepts AC type blades. I can only describe it as being like a Dovo Shavette....if they made an AC blade insert. For the price, you can't beat it, and it delivers a great shave.

proxy.php

Another item I'd like to add to the SABRE database is a Turkish product called the Zazor. It's general shape is strikingly similar to the Razorine, but it was on the market about 1-2 years earlier (only in Turkey), so it is clearly not a knockoff or copy. It also has a different mechanism for holding the DE blades. Everything pictured below cost me a grand total of $45.20 USD, including DHL shipping from Turkey to Chicago, IL USA.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Another item I'd like to add to the SABRE database is a Turkish product called the Zazor. It's general shape is strikingly similar to the Razorine, but it was on the market about 1-2 years earlier (only in Turkey), so it is clearly not a knockoff or copy. It also has a different mechanism for holding the DE blades. Everything pictured below cost me a grand total of $45.20 USD, including DHL shipping from Turkey to Chicago, IL USA.

proxy.php

proxy.php

How is the shave?

How is the shave?
@DarkSpy
Thanks for asking. I have done 3 shaves so far, and they were all superb. All were with the same Astra blade.

I have actually never shaved with a DE safety razor, so I can't give an adequate comparison to that. I am a traditional straight and shavette user. I will say that the first pass WTG with the Zazor is not as close as a straight or shavette. I'm not sure if it's my technique or the nature of the beast. However, XTG and ATG passes were smooth and easy and left my face and neck with a perfect, BBS and no irritation.

Given the form factor (i.e. flat), I did find myself gripping it differently than I would with other fixed handle (kamisori) type razors. I also found myself switching hands in certain areas. I can't explain how, but it seemed amazingly easy to find the proper angle.

Overall, I found it (dare I say) fun to shave with this razor. It won't make me ditch traditional straights & shavettes, but it will be great for a quick shave, for travel, and just to break up the monotony now and then. Given the cost, I'll probably give a few as gifts.

@DarkSpy
Thanks for asking. I have done 3 shaves so far, and they were all superb. All were with the same Astra blade.

I have actually never shaved with a DE safety razor, so I can't give an adequate comparison to that. I am a traditional straight and shavette user. I will say that the first pass WTG with the Zazor is not as close as a straight or shavette. I'm not sure if it's my technique or the nature of the beast. However, XTG and ATG passes were smooth and easy and left my face and neck with a perfect, BBS and no irritation.

Given the form factor (i.e. flat), I did find myself gripping it differently than I would with other fixed handle (kamisori) type razors. I also found myself switching hands in certain areas. I can't explain how, but it seemed amazingly easy to find the proper angle.

Overall, I found it (dare I say) fun to shave with this razor. It won't make me ditch traditional straights & shavettes, but it will be great for a quick shave, for travel, and just to break up the monotony now and then. Given the cost, I'll probably give a few as gifts.

Fantastic feedback . Where did you order them by the way?

Fantastic feedback . Where did you order them by the way?

I ordered from a Turkish site called RazorUS. They are the only site that ships the Zazor outside of Turkey (see link below).
Zazor Double Edge Shavette Razor
(also check out some of their prices on DE blades and shave creams)

Funny story
I had actually been trying to get my hands on a Zazor for quite some time, but they were only available in Turkey. I even contacted the manufacturer on Facebook, and they said they'd like to sell intentionally but were not there yet. I stumbled across RazorUS accidentally. After learning that they are based in Turkey and can ship internationally, I emailed them to suggest they start carrying the Zazor. I gave them the contact info for the manufacturer. A few weeks later, they told me that they now carry the Zazor.

Dear friends, here you are a SOTD with Unilivions, a Kai clone from AliExpress. I was really surprised using the razor from how it shaves gently and close; I shaved with a Kai MG Pro Touch.

Attachments

• IMG_20190504_111844.jpg
    IMG_20190504_111844.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
In my desperation to get something, anything to work with my Astra blades I decided to get a cheap shavette to try.
SG$ 3.73 41%OFF | Straight Edge Barber Razor Professional Safety Folding Stainless Steel Salon Shaving Blades Shave Knife Shaving Machines Gift
US $2.74 40% OFF|Straight Edge Barber Razor Professional Safety Folding Stainless Steel Salon Shaving Blades Shave Knife Shaving Machines Gift-in Razor from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I seriously hope it works so I can just use my Astras...

Mawashi

Today I turned back to a shavette I hadn't used for a while, my CJB WH100B. It's not as smooth as the Feather; I gave myself a number of pinpricks. I guess the Feather is engineered better than the knockoff. Nonetheless, it was a nice shave overall.

I wouldn't mind getting the later version that CJB put out.

Today I turned back to a shavette I hadn't used for a while, my CJB WH100B. It's not as smooth as the Feather; I gave myself a number of pinpricks. I guess the Feather is engineered better than the knockoff. Nonetheless, it was a nice shave overall.

I wouldn't mind getting the later version that CJB put out.

@Rory1262
I would presume the blade has more influence than the holder. Did you use a Feather AC blade or a knockoff?

Feather ProGuards in both, which brings me back to the holder.
Hmm...guarded blades are usually good for avoiding nicks. I guess it could be the holder due to lack of consistent tolerances. I've been using one with Kai Captain Protouch guarded blades, and it's been smooth as silk every time.

proxy.php

Good Day to all of you, Gents and perhaps Ladys,

I'd like to check in SABRE.

I have been wetshaving (with only occasional exceptions for traveling or momentary lapse of mind at packaging) for the last 30 years. Until mid last year, it was mostly safety razors (OC's and a Fetaher AS-D2), but I have changed the emphasis to barber razors (including a Dovo Shavette proper) for the last year.

So in the last 5 months I shaved only with shavettes, specially with one particular shavette which has not yet featured even in this exquisite club:

The Goodfellas Smile Shibumi - the original kamisori shavette. From Italy ;-} It does not have such a pedigree as Don Donato's Unviersal or the Vantas (not to mention Artist Clubs), but it is a very affordable, frisky, but lovely hardware.

Relatively cheap (16-18 EUR, $19-20 manufacturer price, sometimes available cheaper on amazon or ebay).
Very very simple but surprisingly ergonomic kamisori-like (non-folding) design.

Blade loading is old parker style, a little dangerous. But the design of slide provides for both saloon balades and half DE's (has a concave crevice for the bent ridges of a manually halved DE), and once in place the blade is held rigid by the face of the 'razor'. My favourite blade so far is the carbon steel Egyptian Lord Captain with it, but it works excellent with most milder / smother blades (Perma-Sharp halves, Isana, Wilkies). I also use it occassionally with more aggressive blades (Astra SP or even with Feather) - but it is a concentration excercise.

The shape of the working end is almost like an old-fashioned SR wedge - allow and even guides shallow angle passes nicely, but there is no help for the user - one must have the proper preparation, skin stretching and no-pressure routines, otherwise the bloodbath is inevitable.

The blade exposure is in the middle of the road - approximately 0.9 to 1.2 mm (typically less with saloon blades) - so this tool is quite bitey.

But the width is somewhere between 3/8" - 4/8", so it is very nimble, easy to manouver into the smallest, most secret folds. Even with my single handed (dominant hand only) passes.
And it is made of stainless steel, the whole tool - so it has a good weight, the manufacturer claims it to be 55 gr.
The whole tool is coated with some teflon paint - so it is really

It is a relatively new product in TGS line-up, not many reviews, only a few youtube SOTD's with it (most with at least a few nicks).

I learned to like it very much. On weekdays, with good blade and proper technique it gives me a passable (CCS+) shave with a single pass, pluss some jawline work. But on weekends, with careful preparation and slow shave, it is a constant DFS+ with only 2+ passes (2 pass and some local adjustments).

For me the most tricky pass with is the XTG. I usually skip it. Just reaply my prep (Nive Men for pre-shave cream and relather) and do an ATG pass. On very formal Sundays one WTG and 2 ATG for BBS.

Some detest the plastic handle cover. I can live with that: it is functional: groved enough to provide good grip, and requires no extra care when one washes the tool. However, I am on the verge of replacing it with some black felt and red leather for extra style.

It might worth a try for the price for other SABRE's, as well.

DSC_0036.JPG
DSC_0039.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0045.JPG
DSC_0046.JPG

Good Day to all of you, Gents and perhaps Ladys,

I'd like to check in SABRE.

I have been wetshaving (with only occasional exceptions for traveling or momentary lapse of mind at packaging) for the last 30 years. Until mid last year, it was mostly safety razors (OC's and a Fetaher AS-D2), but I have changed the emphasis to barber razors (including a Dovo Shavette proper) for the last year.

So in the last 5 months I shaved only with shavettes, specially with one particular shavette which has not yet featured even in this exquisite club:

The Goodfellas Smile Shibumi - the original kamisori shavette. From Italy ;-} It does not have such a pedigree as Don Donato's Unviersal or the Vantas (not to mention Artist Clubs), but it is a very affordable, frisky, but lovely hardware.

Relatively cheap (16-18 EUR, $19-20 manufacturer price, sometimes available cheaper on amazon or ebay).
Very very simple but surprisingly ergonomic kamisori-like (non-folding) design.

Blade loading is old parker style, a little dangerous. But the design of slide provides for both saloon balades and half DE's (has a concave crevice for the bent ridges of a manually halved DE), and once in place the blade is held rigid by the face of the 'razor'. My favourite blade so far is the carbon steel Egyptian Lord Captain with it, but it works excellent with most milder / smother blades (Perma-Sharp halves, Isana, Wilkies). I also use it occassionally with more aggressive blades (Astra SP or even with Feather) - but it is a concentration excercise.

The shape of the working end is almost like an old-fashioned SR wedge - allow and even guides shallow angle passes nicely, but there is no help for the user - one must have the proper preparation, skin stretching and no-pressure routines, otherwise the bloodbath is inevitable.

The blade exposure is in the middle of the road - approximately 0.9 to 1.2 mm (typically less with saloon blades) - so this tool is quite bitey.

But the width is somewhere between 3/8" - 4/8", so it is very nimble, easy to manouver into the smallest, most secret folds. Even with my single handed (dominant hand only) passes.
And it is made of stainless steel, the whole tool - so it has a good weight, the manufacturer claims it to be 55 gr.
The whole tool is coated with some teflon paint - so it is really

It is a relatively new product in TGS line-up, not many reviews, only a few youtube SOTD's with it (most with at least a few nicks).

I learned to like it very much. On weekdays, with good blade and proper technique it gives me a passable (CCS+) shave with a single pass, pluss some jawline work. But on weekends, with careful preparation and slow shave, it is a constant DFS+ with only 2+ passes (2 pass and some local adjustments).

For me the most tricky pass with is the XTG. I usually skip it. Just reaply my prep (Nive Men for pre-shave cream and relather) and do an ATG pass. On very formal Sundays one WTG and 2 ATG for BBS.

Some detest the plastic handle cover. I can live with that: it is functional: groved enough to provide good grip, and requires no extra care when one washes the tool. However, I am on the verge of replacing it with some black felt and red leather for extra style.

It might worth a try for the price for other SABRE's, as well.

View attachment 980445 View attachment 980446 View attachment 980447 View attachment 980447 View attachment 980448 View attachment 980449
Thanks for the in-depth review and description. Definitely worth adding to the SABRE "database".

I have personally never been a fan of that type of blade holding mechanism. I find that is does not hold it as securely as something like the Parker SR1. The blade exposure and "looser" grip on the blade generally produce a lot more audible feedback when shaving, which some may prefer (not me). That said, I like the fixed handle.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried the Dark Stag Kamisori Razor. It is shaped more similarly to the traditional Kamisori SR, grabs the blade in a similar fashion to the AC type blade holder, but uses half DE blades.

the TGS and Dark Stag are unknown to me, thanks for the info. Have reduced my shavettes to 9 total and trying to keep it that way so won't be getting those.

Top Bottom