What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I only have two shavettes: new (2018) Parker models with wooden scales - SRDW and SRRW. I don’t have a huge collection of shaving hardware
That sounds like a cry for help ;-)

Get yourself one of these, a Strong Leopard 74-A clone, and one of these, a Spilo Magic Razor clone. Both together will cost you less than $10 including shipping.

Both are completely different shaving experiences, and both are different than your scissor type Parkers. I love the two two razors I recommended, and along with my Universal full-DE blade shavette and King Metal X-Razor, those 4 account for probably 80% of my shaves right there.

Last edited:
Well, my Zazor(s) arrived tonight. Had my first shave and I'm definitely a fan. It's light, but not too light like the Daune (is that how it's spelt?). I'm definitely going to need to learn its intricacies, but I found it fun to shave with and got a great shave - couple of nicks on the chin - but no major damage.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 Plus using Tapatalk

Well, my Zazor(s) arrived tonight. Had my first shave and I'm definitely a fan. It's light, but not too light like the Daune (is that how it's spelt?). I'm definitely going to need to learn its intricacies, but I found it fun to shave with and got a great shave - couple of nicks on the chin - but no major damage.

Glad you received it. I found the greatest challenge is figuring out the optimal way to grip it. As with the Razorine, I'm sure the optimal grip will be different for every individual. I found myself using switching hands in certain areas, compared to how I would hold a normal shavette or even a Kamisori. Then, of course, XTG and ATG are whole different ball game.

Glad you received it. I found the greatest challenge is figuring out the optimal way to grip it. As with the Razorine, I'm sure the optimal grip will be different for every individual. I found myself using switching hands in certain areas, compared to how I would hold a normal shavette or even a Kamisori. Then, of course, XTG and ATG are whole different ball game.

I've only gone WTG for the most part in my 3 shaves so far. 3rd try today was the first time I didn't nick my chin. I tried using it bladeless (essentially I turned it around) to see if I could use it in my off hand, but I definitely can't, so as with everything else I shave with, it's right hand all the way! My cheeks feel like I've done WTG and ATG despite only doing WTG. Need to work on the other areas. Thankfully, I don't have to be perfectly shaven every day, so I can just add in ATG etc at my own pace.

As someone who is constantly changing razors, pretty much using a different one each day, the Zazor has bucked the trend. Since it arrived I haven't used anything else, nor have I wanted to. I think I've missed one day since it arrived, and I love it. I genuinely think it's time to move on most of my other razors, and to order a few more Zazor razors as backups (I have one extra now!), maybe in different colours!

As someone who is constantly changing razors, pretty much using a different one each day, the Zazor has bucked the trend. Since it arrived I haven't used anything else, nor have I wanted to. I think I've missed one day since it arrived, and I love it. I genuinely think it's time to move on most of my other razors, and to order a few more Zazor razors as backups (I have one extra now!), maybe in different colours!

I assume that means you got the hang of it! LOL

Are you switching hands or still shaving one-handed? I love the Zazor as well, and I am glad I bought one of each color. It appears that Razorus is out of stock in 3 of the listed colors.
20190619_234415-2.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I assume that means you got the hang of it! LOL

Are you switching hands or still shaving one-handed? I love the Zazor as well, and I am glad I bought one of each color. It appears that Razorus is out of stock in 3 of the listed colors. View attachment 999398

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

I did, yes. Still one-handed, but I only ever use my Kai Captain, Feather Artist club etc one-handed as well.
Think I'm going to put my Schick and Feather on BST if I get round to taking pictures. I'm really enjoying the Zazor that much!

I'm not a shavette shaver (learning very slowly) but I was always interested in shavettes, so I bought Zazor
when it was first referenced here.
I was also impressed how the Zazor shaved, and how it doesn't seems to be picky with blades.
But saying that, I've got some reservations about longevity. It's clear (to me) it doesn't have the highest quality materials.
I feel the guards could bend easily if you don't take care of the razor. Also the top cap is not the tightest, so you can wiggle it (doesn't seem to affect the shave in any way).

@Bluebriz I always wanted to to know the difference between the Kai Captain and Feather DX (if that's the one you use) I know the blade exposure is different but I don't know how they differ on the shave.

I'm not a shavette shaver (learning very slowly) but I was always interested in shavettes, so I bought Zazor
when it was first referenced here.
I was also impressed how the Zazor shaved, and how it doesn't seems to be picky with blades.
But saying that, I've got some reservations about longevity. It's clear (to me) it doesn't have the highest quality materials.
I feel the guards could bend easily if you don't take care of the razor. Also the top cap is not the tightest, so you can wiggle it (doesn't seem to affect the shave in any way).

I always wanted to to know the difference between the Kai Captain and Feather DX (if that's the one you use) I know the blade exposure is different but I don't know how they differ on the shave.

Re: Zazor
I would agree that the guards are a bit thin. If you were to drop it or smack it jut right, it could certainly fracture or bend (given the aluminum construction, fracture is more likely). But that can be said for a lot of things, and I believe that with basic care, the Zazor could last a long time. For just over $5 each, it's feasible to purchase a couple spares. The only thing I'd worry about in terms of long-term use would be the ability to get a replacement for the blade-holding clip/mechanism (for lack of a better term). This would not be easily replicated.

Regarding the wiggle effect. I have noticed that too and also found it to have zero effect on shave quality. The reason this has no effect is because when you slide the clip in place, the blade will slide with the clip and center itself on the pins. That's either a brilliantly engineered feature or just a case of dumb luck from the designer.

Re: Kai vs. DX
There are some differences and "creature-features" that are unique to each. But the Kai Captain is a lot more similar to the Feather DX than it is to the SS. I personally find it to be a suitable, lower-cost alternative to the DX. See the below thread on KAi vs. SS vs. DX
Kai Captain Vs Feather SS Vs DX

Last edited:
I just found the Kai Captain to be perfectly balanced and somehow all the angles just "work" when I use that one. Also, it was a present from my wife so I'll definitely be keeping it.
The thread linked above was new to me but filled with useful info, especially the photos. And I read about the "Kai Zebrano Captain" which I'd never heard of before....

I know what you mean about the cheaper build quality of the Zazor. I haven't noticed any wiggle effect so can't comment on that. Oddly enough, I was just discussing the longevity of the razor with Noyan from Razorus.com yesterday over email. I was asking about when they'd have more stock (I want some spares, and maybe different colours!) and asked about how long it would last. He said "As it is a relatively new product, i have not seen any Zazor which completed its life cycle. Practically, it should be not less than 10 – 15 years. It may even last a life long (sic) as well." As @rs_776 stated above, for the price, spares can be obtained easily

Thanks for the feed back of the Kai Captain, as I find it more beautiful than the Feather DX.

The Zazor is not a new product overall, is a new product for the Razorus website.
I believe it was @rs_776 who mentioned the product to them, as it was a turkish razor.
I don't know how he came about the razor, but after I read his original post, about the Zazor, I tried doing some research in google and found a post in another forum from 2009 (doesn't have any useful information).

Thanks for the feed back of the Kai Captain, as I find it more beautiful than the Feather DX.

The Zazor is not a new product overall, is a new product for the Razorus website.
I believe it was @rs_776 who mentioned the product to them, as it was a turkish razor.
I don't know how he came about the razor, but after I read his original post, about the Zazor, I tried doing some research in google and found a post in another forum from 2009 (doesn't have any useful information).

I learned of the Zazor from #19 or this thread: Different types of shavette blade holding mechanisms

I had been exchanging messages with the producer of the Zazor for quite some time via Facebook. He had indicated that it was only available in Turkey, but he had long-term plans of selling internationally. Yes, I am the one who contacted Razorus and put them in touch with the producer of the Zazor. I recall it being no more than 2 weeks before Noyan informed me that they will start carrying the Zazor and maybe another day or two before it was live on the site. So, I'll take all the blame or credit that goes along with that.

In other news, I just got an email from Noyan, saying that Razorus now offers an "economy shipping" option for about $5 per package and 10-12 day delivery to most countries.

Rob

Folding Feather DX clone

I've seen a lot of folding Feather SS clones and kamisori Feather DX clones on AliExpress, but I can't seem to find a folding Feather DX clone. Does anyone have a link to where I can but one?

Just joined the club...

Ordered the full DE blade Universal Lama Intera from Coltelleria Collini.

First shave will be whenever DHL gets it to me ... And away we go!

Folding Feather DX clone

I've seen a lot of folding Feather SS clones and kamisori Feather DX clones on AliExpress, but I can't seem to find a folding Feather DX clone. Does anyone have a link to where I can but one?
Which DX clones have you seen?

I received my Feather SS clone yesterday. Well I wouldn't call it a clone since it's a straight up copy of the SS including the logo on the sides.

The finish left a lot to be desired and I'm not totally convinced it's made of stainless steel, it just feels to light especially compared to my IBC. I did however really like the way it felt when holding it, the control it gave me and the way you loaded the blade.
I didn't enjoy the shave very much though. The way the "SS" is shaped made it impossible to shave with the blade angled certain ways. But that was the reason I bought a knock-off and not a genuine one since it only cost me 15$.

So for now I'm gonna stick with my brandy IBC until I can afford a genuine Feather DX.

Top Bottom