What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

I know of two older models

proxy.php

proxy.php
Thanks Ron!
They’ve both got plastic sliders haven’t they?
And the Kamisori style one in your lower picture was the inspiration for the Korean Sam Seong...
My one has a spring like the RG and DX but the nose is more angular and there’s a hole on the side (which you can see in my photo) where the spring is attached.

So I’d guess my model fits in between your plastic slider versions and the RG.

Next question is when did the Feather Professional shavettes and their 50mm long injector blades first appear?
Early 1970s or was it later than that?

I'm sure if you email Feather customer service they can answer your questions. I've always found them very helpful in the past.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Focus Slim with Isana Blade this afternoon:
D9C4D1A9-C06B-4D51-9F1E-72BEB2577AB0.jpeg

The Focus Slim is the best of the best of the half-DE blade shavettes for me and head shaving with it kicks my technique up to yet another level.
As we all know those half-DE blades can bite and this shave required some concentration.
The payoff is a magnificent all over BBS that will stay smart for 18 hours.

started DE shaving 3 years ago and few months into it, I was interested in straight razor bought a starter kit that included a gold dollar straight that was supposed to be shave ready. Turns out it wasn’t shave ready, had to send it back.

Tried it couple of times and it wasn’t as sharp as I thought it would and gave it up. Tried a shavette few times as well but gave that up to and stuck with the DE razors.

Was reading forums and watched couple of YouTube videos and it piqued my interest. Got the straight razor and shavette out. The straight razor wasn’t shave ready (still), so loaded up the cheap shavette I had from before (I think I paid less than $3 for it). Loaded a half Personna blue and gave it a go. Definitely can improve my technique, as evident by the few cuts, but really digging it. May be sticking with shavette at least for weekend shaves.

I was interested in straight razors, but the honing and stropping seems to be a draw back for me. I know it’s part of the ritual and many appreciate it, I’m just saying that for me it would be more work added. With two kids, I barely have time to enjoy my shave.

Anyways, saw a Parker SRX for $24.99, is it that much better than the cheap shavette I have? I do prefer heavier razors, I prefer the Rockwell 6s DE razor because of its weight.

Thanks for the video link, have seen that but it doesn't really make clear to me what system he uses as far as blades goes, I've heard it's kind of a cartridge kind of thing, still no response from the maker to my questions.

I got a response from Aldo Foti the maker of the Blade Tech GW-Express. He only wants to give me more information if he can phone me. :001_07:

My favorite DE blade shavette, the Varta. This one takes whole blades but I also love the one that takes half blades. The Universal is also good but I don't like that the blade doesn't completely uses the entire length of the blade holder.

proxy.php

started DE shaving 3 years ago and few months into it, I was interested in straight razor bought a starter kit that included a gold dollar straight that was supposed to be shave ready. Turns out it wasn’t shave ready, had to send it back.

Tried it couple of times and it wasn’t as sharp as I thought it would and gave it up. Tried a shavette few times as well but gave that up to and stuck with the DE razors.

Was reading forums and watched couple of YouTube videos and it piqued my interest. Got the straight razor and shavette out. The straight razor wasn’t shave ready (still), so loaded up the cheap shavette I had from before (I think I paid less than $3 for it). Loaded a half Personna blue and gave it a go. Definitely can improve my technique, as evident by the few cuts, but really digging it. May be sticking with shavette at least for weekend shaves.

I was interested in straight razors, but the honing and stropping seems to be a draw back for me. I know it’s part of the ritual and many appreciate it, I’m just saying that for me it would be more work added. With two kids, I barely have time to enjoy my shave.

Anyways, saw a Parker SRX for $24.99, is it that much better than the cheap shavette I have? I do prefer heavier razors, I prefer the Rockwell 6s DE razor because of its weight.
The Parker is well constructed. Look through this thread - it will take a while, but - you will find pretty much every make of shavette reviewed and compared. My favourite half DE is the Focus Slim.

You may want to look into Feather Artist Club style razors if you are trying to get closer to a straight razor shaving experience. They take the SE style blade. Feather, Kai, CJB and a couple of others make compatible razors at various price levels.

83FEABD6-379E-487A-8AC2-18535FE90455.jpeg
711EC506-3852-4D0E-9558-891140601C30.jpeg
1AECBE13-4D12-4C19-A0D2-A542924CB424.jpeg
3166A25D-03E7-43EC-8F11-CF4660F0A9EC.jpeg
62BBCCED-4D84-434C-92D7-58851F50637C.jpeg
My latest Weck acquisitions.
Top is Weck med prep for U.S. Navy.
Middle is Weck Junior with solid bar guard.
Bottom is Weck Bantam with open comb guard.

My favorite DE blade shavette, the Varta. This one takes whole blades but I also love the one that takes half blades. The Universal is also good but I don't like that the blade doesn't completely uses the entire length of the blade holder.

proxy.php

Where did you get that? Quick Google search didn’t really turn up much...

Thanks!

I am back after nearly 2 years of absence, my last post here was on Feb 14 2017, I'll try to post more often.....

The reason I am posting now is my latest acquisition, a Greager GR-100B aka CJB from Maggard Razors. I have completed 5 shaves with this razor and I am very happy for my purchase. I find that the handle is very ergonomic and I like the design of the head that allows for a steep shaving angle. On the down side, I find the quality and finish of the product to be really poor.

Here are a few shots from my shaves with the razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am back after nearly 2 years of absence, my last post here was on Feb 14 2017, I'll try to post more often.....

The reason I am posting now is my latest acquisition, a Greager GR-100B aka CJB from Maggard Razors. I have completed 5 shaves with this razor and I am very happy for my purchase. I find that the handle is very ergonomic and I like the design of the head that allows for a steep shaving angle. On the down side, I find the quality and finish of the product to be really poor.

Here are a few shots from my shaves with the razor.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Nice one! The Greager/CJB is a fine razor IMHO.

What blade are you using in it?

Strong Leopard 77 with a Jishi cabinet blade.
A formidable combination delivering a powerful shave
I used the same razor on Wednesday after ignoring it for at least a month. When though those blades are wicked sharp, the shave was smooth and comfortable. To think I almost PIFed this razor before getting a good feel for it.

I used the same razor on Wednesday after ignoring it for at least a month. When though those blades are wicked sharp, the shave was smooth and comfortable. To think I almost PIFed this razor before getting a good feel for it.
Yes - coming back to it I think the original Strong Leopard is my favourite razor for these blades.

Top Bottom