What's new

Shavemac 173 "Chubby" 2 band.sighhhh

Anybody "get" this brush? I dont.....I paid wayyy to much $$$ for this thing and have regretted it since day one. This is BY FAR the firmest brush ive personally EVER used. Jeez. its so firm, and short lofted, that when I try to face lather, it spews the lather out the sides of the hairs, wasting sooo much product, like it cant hold it. I dont usually have enough for a second pass, seriously. Dont get me wrong, the tips are pretty soft, and its super scrubby, but I just dont understand it, I guess. Any tips are appreciated.

I have the exact same brush ... worry not my friend! I felt the same way soon after receiving this brush ... my old best badgers seemed to perform better and I was disappointed at the thought of spending $$$ for the Shavemac. Patience and persistent use will soften and tame this brush ... it did for me. It is now a wonderful brush ... soft tips to my skin with a stiff backbone. It lathers beautifully and holds enough for 3 generous passes. :thumbup:.

+1 for letting the brush break in before you cast final judgment. Dense brushes take a couple weeks worth of shaves to loosen up, until then they just hog lather. Also remember to feed that beast LOTS of soap/cream, it will likely take more product to lather than less dense brushes you might be more used to.

In the end, if its just not a good fit for you there is always BST, but really give it at least 10 or 15 lathers before you pass judgment.

Both D01 3- and 2- band brushes are quite stiff, particularly those with short lofts. They improve a lot and behave differently after using them 5 to 10 times.

My Shavemac 233 24 mm/48 mm 233 Bruyers wood 2-band D01 is also a stiff beast and drops water and product all over my sink like no other brush, but I give it patience before I judge it finally.

12-15 shaves, maybe even 25 shaves.........so with my current collection and rotation, around this time next year it will be broken in

I recently traded a D01 2 band with a member in Turkye, he didn't like the brush at all. When I received it I could see why but he only used it like 3 times. After two weeks it's a whole other experience, a really great brush IMO. If you put the brush in a rotation it won't improve much, just use it every day for a few weeks and your opinion on it might change. Otherwise go to BST, I'm sure it won't last long.

oK, thanks for the input, Ive used it maybe 5-7 times.....Today I used it with a softer hand. Loaded it with arko and away I went, it just spewed lather everywhere, except my face again. lol I will definitely wait at least a month before casting my final vote on it.....It is officially my only brush for October!!! Make it or break it month. I can see the potential in her, so I will be patient.

Are you only face lathering? If so, do you think you'll wish for something softer after a month of scrubby face lathering? Would you consider bowl lathering for some of your break in period?

Yes, thats kinda what ive been doing, I kinda build my lather on the arko soap in my tub......Kinda a hybrid lathering technique. Its actually starting to give up some of her "booty" (pirates term, not being dirty).......it worked well today, $180 well.....Not yet. Im being patient though, I actually got some of the moisted looking lather I have had in a long time kinda shiny looking......very slick, not very thick though, I like to do the arko man impression, with a santa beard of lather....lol Im gonna keep going with her, ive been patient with boars in the past so I can give the badger the same courtesy as well.

How do you like the handle. Does it hold well and is it long enough for bowl shaving? I like it aesthetically but I'm not sure about functionality.

honestly, its an overall awkward brush FOR ME......With that said, it has the highest quality build standards Shavemac is known for.....Not a single hair lost either. The handle is kinda octagon shaped, supposedly making it more grippy? I like the looks of the handle, I like the feel of the handle, dry. When you begin lathering with it, alot of the lather comes down on the handle, making it super slippery. Now, mine isnt broken in yet, granted, Im still being partial until one month of continuous use, assuming not much lather creeps down on to the handle anymore.......I hope. For bowl lathering......I dunno, it would depend on the bowl shape, size, and depth...You wouldnt want a very deep bowl, like a mug. I could see a smaller cereal bowl, or a ashtray sized bowl working very well. I had to take my smushed Arko sticks out of my Marvy shave mug, and put it into one of those cheapo, ziploc storage bowls, round of course, and it works really well. The mug was wayy too deep for the handle, i think its 50mmish handle, not 100% sure. Of course if I were 100% bowl lathering with it, I would want something a little bigger than the ziploc bowl. I just cant justify the price tag at the moment, and cant with good faith recommend it to anybody as of yet......It wouldnt be fair to Shavemac or the person asking my opinion on it....I will let you know in a few more weeks I guess. It carries a hefty price tag. Its unique, put it that way, ive never used any brush like it before.

Top Bottom