What's new

Shave Roulette

SPIN for Sunday, March 20

I have a busy day today and won't have internet access for most of it. I didn't want to miss the spin for you fine people, so forgive me for posting early today.

Hope everyone has great shaves! Funny that the last two numbers didn't change for today...Silly randomness.

SPIN for Monday, March 22 (Somehow I started using the wrong numbers...my bad)

Happy Shaves!

Monday's shave wasn't great. I shoulda followed the numbers precisely......

Numbers said Graydog brush, Soapy Science Doc's Special Blend, Feather SS, clean-up razor was my choice (I chose the Meta-4).

I pulled out the Doc's Special Blend and it smelled a bit off; it's old soap, and I got the idea that maybe it was getting a bit "ripe." Looking through my soaps, I saw that I had a puck of Williams in there that I had grated, added some glycerin to, and scented nicely with grapefruit, orange, and tangerine. I remember reading countless threads about how Williams can make a nice lather, it just take more patience, and also how "wise" men can get a good lather with Williams.

So I decided to try the Williams. Huge mistake. It smelled amazing, but no matter what I did, I ended up with that rapidly disappearing lather that has been much talked about. I remembered reading from somebody that even if the lather was dissipating, it still provided for a good shave, so I just pressed on. This led to a weeper near the left side of my mouth.

So I loaded up the brush a bunch more and put down a thick paste for the neck; this was TOO thick, and wasn't slick. It was also hard to rinse from my Feather SS.

Long story short, about halfway through the second pass I just rinsed it off, grabbed my wife's non-lathering cream out of the shower, and finished the shave. I had some irritation, one weeper (mentioned above), and a so-so shave.

Yesterday night right before I went to bed I took the remaining Williams out of the container and put it into the garbage can, which is where it rightfully belongs. The garbage can smelled amazing! What a waste of perfectly good essential oils, though.....sigh.

Lessons learned? 1) Strict adherence to the numbers is best. 2) Never use modern Williams.

That is all.

SPIN for Wednesday, March 24

Happy Shaves!

@kingfisher -I was going to use the reaction button to respond to your story but it was so dynamic I didn't know how I felt at the end. It was a combination of laughter, sadness, and "like" with a dash of "hate". 10/10 would read the edge of the seat thriller again. I hope the numbers are kind to you today.

Had a great shave yesterday morning. The number called for the Graydog brush, Soapy Science in Lollipop Citrus scent, my Feather SS, and my Stahly for clean-up.

As I was preparing for the shave, I started to think about substituting a newer soap, specifically Dr. Jon's in Savannah Sunrise scent. I even pulled it out and put it on the counter prior to my shower.

When I got out of the shower, I remembered how "bucking the number" worked out for me last time, and thought better of it. I put the Savannah Sunrise away and got out the Lollipop Citrus.

Fantastic lather and a smooth shave. The Stahly is the smoothest feeling DE razor I have ever tried. It is a LITTLE TINY BIT too mild on one side (they are supposed to be the same from side-to-side but mine is not). Other than that, though, the perfect razor. if I were not using shavettes, I could actually use the inequality of the two sides to my advantage, doing the first pass with the more aggressive side and then using the milder side for the second pass or for clean-up. In fact, I remember that's exactly how I often used it in the past.

Anyway, a great shave. No irritation, no weepers. DFS-.

Oops, apparently I didn't change the date on the above spin. It should be for today (Friday). My bad.
I used it for this morning. Fantastic spin. This one actually called up the Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise. Also my Kai Kasho straight and, to top it all off, the Fatboy for clean-up. Excellent.

I tried to get a tricky spot on my neck with the straight that I usually clean up with the DE; got all the hairs to be sure, but also a bit of irritation. Pushed a little hard there or had the wrong angle. Nothing to right home about. No weepers, no cuts. Overall a darn good shave. A-

Top Bottom