What's new

Shave Roulette

3271 brought the Mamba into the shave for the first time in seemingly forever. Main razor was the Feather SS, which I actually loaded up with a fresh Schick Proline blade just last night. (Also loaded a fresh Gillette 7 o'clock black blade into the Mamba.) I used the Mamba on the Meta 4 handle.

Lather was Savannah Sunrise lathered up with a vintage Rubberset.

Had a great shave. Ended up with the tiniest bit of irritation just to the right of the Adam's apple; this occurred because my wife suddenly walked through the bathroom door right when I had my open blade over that area (I thought she was still asleep!). But it was really only a bit of irritation; no cut, no weeper, no nothing; considering the circumstances, I think I did pretty well.

The Mamba is quite similar to the Meta 4 except that the blade loads on the baseplate on the former, and that the Mamba safety bar is quite thin. This shave gave me an idea to do a comparison shave for the DE subforum pitting the Mamba against the Meta 4. They have a lot of similarities.

16954C9D-D662-4673-AEF6-536EE8AE491C.jpeg

Still Sunday here. This is my 3271. Excellent today.

SPIN for Wednesday, March 10

I'll be taking over this week, hopefully I can provide as many high quality shaves as @JAHE has. I will be trying to post around this time to accommodate diverse time-zones.

Enjoy your shaves!

SPIN for Monday, March 15

Hope those of you who sprang forward today didn't have that hour come out of your shave time. Hope you have great Monday shaves, great start to a smooth week.

Great shave last night with my Feather SS and my iKon 101. Lather smelled great and shaved great.... it was Wickham's Club Cola. I have found that about five drops of glycerin added during lathering makes the Club Cola even better.

E386FBD9-5AB3-4A12-8F75-D36AE308898E.jpeg

Still Sunday here. This is 2759. Proraso Blue, Simpsons 57, Gillette Heritage (+Spoiler) and Lucky Tiger.

Can’t go wrong with your lather with that cream and brush. Excellent shave, though the Heritage will probably move on when someone else wants one. I have better razors.

Today shave brought out the Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus, my Kai Kasho folding replaceable blade straight, and it called for the Knack for clean-up. I love the Knack, but when I reached into the drawer to get it, I saw my Pils staring at me with a lonely look on its face. So, I bucked the numbers and loaded up the Pils. For the brush, soap, and shavette I followed the numbers.
Teo passes plus touch-up yielded a DFS today. Really nice. I got a tiny bit of irritation on the left low neck, but it was invisible and gone within about five minutes. Overall, an enjoyable shave.

SPIN for Thursday, March 18

Could this be the best combo of your week? I certainly don't know, now get out there and find out!

Both Thursday’s and Friday’s spins produced the same software for me....in my bets, the second number is the software. Both chose the I Coloniali cream. I almost never use cream. But it produced a pretty good lather for me.

The main razor was the Feather SS, which I love, and the clean-up DE was number zero, which I use as a wild card number. On a whim I decided on the Yaqi Knight Helmet, and loaded it up with a fresh Polsilver SI. (Yes, I was asking for trouble.).

I have to say, tonight’s DE had to have the biggest difference in prices between the handle and the head of any razor I have ever used. I stuck the Knight Helmet on a UFO TiTan Fine L handle. The handle is unobtainium. What is it worth? Probably around $275 to $300. The Knight Helmet head, made of Zamac and from China, costs about $5-6. It made me laugh a little.

Anyway, I had a really good shave. The Knight Helmet is ridiculously aggressive and stupidly blade forward. The only DE I have ever used that has more blade feel than an open blade, lol. But if you use it at a very shallow angle and with a very light touch, it actually shaves pretty well. The gap is enormous, too. I think it would take off 7 days of stubble without any problem; straight to SAS in one pass.

Anyway, long story short, I think of creams as generally being less protective, and I usually don’t put a fresh, very sharp blade in an aggressive razor. Despite all that, I got an excellent shave without any irritation or weepers. I may give this Knight Helmet a few more shaves and see how I get along with it.

0910. Williams soap, Gillette (England) brush, a straight razor and Gillette Cool Wave.

No time for a straight shave this morning, grabbed the Slim instead. Everything worked out flawlessly.

Top Bottom