What's new

Shave Roulette

20201225_171314-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Baker Street
Razor: FATIP Grande Open Comb
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)

This shave was a very close one. I will skip tomorrow's shave. Nevertheless I will provide a spin tomorrow , that's for sure.

Amazing Christmas day shave this morning. Changed my bets after scoring some new soap! In place of my vintage Williams, I used Wickham Club Cola that I got just this morning!
It smelled amazing and it lathered and shaved great! I loved this soap and am really happy to have added it to my stable. I used the Feather SS and I used my Pils for clean-up. CCS+ and comfy.
Merry Christmas to all!

Eben Stone

Staff member
Tomorrow's shave...

XXXX => Proraso green, RazoRock 400, Mühle R41, Shark SS

I'm getting great shaves with the R41. Makes me wonder why I even bother to own other razors.

Tomorrow's shave...

XXXX => Proraso green, RazoRock 400, Mühle R41, Shark SS

I'm getting great shaves with the R41. Makes me wonder why I even bother to own other razors.
There were rumors recently that Mühle might come up with a stainless steel version of the R41... that would be nice... But for the time being it's just a rumor. We shall see...

Good morning, Gents!

Place your bets, please!
Time for another....
Spin!

Enjoy your shaves !

20201227_132722-01.jpeg

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan
Soap: Le Père Lucien ~ Orange Cedar
Razor: 1962 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

Got this soap (and the matching aftershave) as a Christmas present from my family. So for the sake of the family peace I had to include the duo into my next SOTD (though not being part of my recent bet).

Glad I did because this an amazing (!) soap. FWIW, I am willing to make this statement after just one shave with this soap and this particular brand.

It's easy to lather, provides excellent slickness (both primary and residual) but the real star of the show is the cushion this soap provided. This dense and creamy goodness is absolutely stunning (the cushion is even better than the cushion of Tabac, which has been my benchmark in terms of elite cushion performance so far).

The scent of the soap is nicely balanced (clean orange and cedar), the scent is just midstrong, clean and nicely composed without being overly complex... (the AS is a bit more on the cedar side). I think the metal tin is an eye-catcher, too.

As you might have noticed I am quite impressed.

Enjoy your Sunday, gents!

Last edited:
TL;DR version: Didn’t follow the spin precisely. Dr. Jon’s lather weird and unsatisfying, probably underhydrated. Hybrid Tech harsher and with more blade feel than I expected. Narrowing my opinions as to favorite DEs.

Longer version, with more details: I cheated (aka “called an audible”) last night for the first time since I joined the Roulette crew. The spin called for Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus but I subbed in one of my new Christmas soaps, because I just had to try it out. Dr. Jon’s Savannah Sunrise. I had gone through a puck of it years ago. I think he has changed the formula twice since I used it last; added a bunch more oils, skin goodies, etc. So I was expecting it to be much better.

What I found, instead, was that, at least after a single shave, I actually liked the old, simpler formula better. I’m pretty sure I underhyrated it, though, so maybe next time I‘ll be able to see why the formula was changed. Still smells the same, though, which is pretty great (provided you like floral scents).

I also subbed in my Kai Kasho razor in place of the Feather SS the spin called for, which I had used for the past three shaves in a row. The Kai looked lonely; I figured since I was cheating on the soap I might as well cheat on the razor, as well.

I stuck with the spin’s choice of brush and of clean-up DE, which turned out to be my Hybrid Tech, which I mated to my UFO TiTan FineL handle. Weirdly, I felt a lot more blade feel than I remember from the Hybrid Tech; I realized after a couple of strokes that the head wasn’t fully tightened down on the handle. Even after I fixed that, though, it seemed like it had more blade feel than I expected. Maybe it is because I have been using my iKon S3S, my Pils, and my post-war Tech for the past three shaves; all three of these have very little blade feel. Surprisingly, of the three I think the Pils has the most.

Through this whole ”Roulette” experience I have made some discoveries I probably wouldn’t otherwise have made. I am beginning to believe that the S3S, the Stahly, the iKon Shavecraft 101, the Pils, and the post-war Tech are my five favorite DEs. I have others that I enjoy, including the Knack, the Fatboy, and the Hybrid Tech, among others, but I feel like I could live with just the five named above. Maybe it is time for me to do some den clearing.

Anyway, the soap lather was a disappointment. It was thick and clung both to itself and to my face in an interesting way. At one point I rinsed the blade of the straight razor of its lather; the entire piece rinsed off all at once, went into the sink in a single piece, and got stuck at the drain because it took a while for it to fall apart. Similarly, after rinsing there were places where it was stuck to my face.

After the shave was done I squeezed the lather up out of the brush and rubbed it between my hands. I then added water a little bit at a time and watched the quality of the lather as it became more and more hydrated. It definitely seemed to take on more sheen and more slickness with a few additions of water, so next time I will definitely add a lot more water as I am building the lather.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading my novel.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm currently playing with 1 razor (I like my R41 too much too bother shaving with anything else), 2 brushes, 19 blades, and 51 soaps.

XXXX => Stirling Mountain Man, Mühle Vivo black fiber v2, Mühle R41, Derby Premium

So I've been following along and am thinking I might take part in a modified format. For the most part, I will be following the spins for Brush and razor daily. I will be switching blades based on the spins every week or two. I am still deciding if I want to 3017 some soaps, switch soaps up monthly, or switch soaps up weekly. The good news is I plan on doing whatever makes me happy until it no longer does. At that point, I will do something else.

So I've been following along and am thinking I might take part in a modified format. For the most part, I will be following the spins for Brush and razor daily. I will be switching blades based on the spins every week or two. I am still deciding if I want to 3017 some soaps, switch soaps up monthly, or switch soaps up weekly. The good news is I plan on doing whatever makes me happy until it no longer does. At that point, I will do something else.
The last two sentences seem like good advice for pretty much anybody.

You could do a "modified 3017" on your soaps by choosing just two or three soaps, and repeating them on your betting sheet. You would get some variety, but still use up those soaps more quickly than you would in a bigger rotation.

This looks fun. Discovered it today. A couple questions and a clarification: I generally use the same blade for a week and rotate it through razors. So this means I would fill all nine slots of my blade bet with the same blade, correct? Do guys generally lock in their bets for a week? How many people are participating?

This looks fun. Discovered it today. A couple questions and a clarification: I generally use the same blade for a week and rotate it through razors. So this means I would fill all nine slots of my blade bet with the same blade, correct? Do guys generally lock in their bets for a week? How many people are participating?
Using the same blade for all ten slots would work, but it is really up to you what the digits mean. You could use that digit for another type of equipment, or an aftershave, or even water temperature, for example.

You can change bets whenever you want, or just "let it ride". It is fun to post your bets and share your choices.

Some people drop in occasionally, others are more regular. I think about a dozen people or so, but there is always room for more.

Using the same blade for all ten slots would work, but it is really up to you what the digits mean. You could use that digit for another type of equipment, or an aftershave, or even water temperature, for example.

You can change bets whenever you want, or just "let it ride". It is fun to post your bets and share your choices.

Some people drop in occasionally, others are more regular. I think about a dozen people or so, but there is always room for more.

Welcome to the game. As @Atlantic59 stated you can attribute the digits in every way you like. You do you. It's a drama-free game...

If you like to, share your experience with your combo (and post a picture now and then).

The croupier in charge (that's me right now) will publish the spin once a day.
Since we are based in several time zones all over the world the "new" croupier announces with taking over when he is going to publish the new spin.

Happy shaves!

XXXX => PdP Original, Omega 10005, Pearl OC (Bolt of Indra), Bolzano Superinox

I'm having trouble keeping up with you, @JAHE; I'm only shaving every other day lately! Should I use today's spin or queue up yesterday's spin?
:laugh:

You really want ME to decide this?
OK, here you go - today´s spin is your spin to go !:cornut: But don't blame me...

Last edited:
Top Bottom