What's new

Shave Roulette

I love Hydra, too. Have already gone through a puck of it in the past. I have Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus, which is very similar. There is nothing out there quite like Savannah Sunrise, and I just love peach scents.

I wonder if I have ever used a peach-scented soap (scratching my head). Is Savannah Sunrise a rather "sweet" scent?

I wonder if I have ever used a peach-scented soap (scratching my head). Is Savannah Sunrise a rather "sweet" scent?
Not really. It's mostly floral. In addition to peach, the scent notes are jasmine, geranium, orange blossom, and honeysuckle.

I ended up using JAHE's last call tonight. Razor was RR SLOC which is surprisingly mild for an OC and produced a really easy shave (if anything it could have been closer). The brush was my WCS Tortoise Badger brush which I haven't used in almost a year. I remembered it liked to eat soap so I went a little (lot) overboard and made enough lather to shave my face for a week. Blade stayed Nacet with soap still Stirling Christmas Eve.

E06742F7-4592-4A4C-897C-9A969DB69581.jpeg

2- Proraso cream
6- Simpsons 55
5- Gillette Heritage + Gillette Platinum Plus
6- Axe Marine

C+. Lather mix was wrong, not my favorite razor. Aftershave good.

Today's spin a bit earlier than yesterday.

Enjoy, and Happy New Year!

That looks like a smooth start for the new year...

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: 1962 Gillette Super Speed Flare Tip
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword China (2)

We will meet on the other side... ;)
Stay safe and healthy, Gents!

Last edited:
The spin for tomorrow will be deciding my soap for the month and my blade for the first part of the month. After tomorrow, my soap bets will just all change to whichever is selected. I will use a new razor blade using the same bets based on when I decide my blade has worn out. My bets are as follows. For the "Treet" and "Top Seller" sampler packs, I will pull the top blade out of one of the sampler packs and give it a whirl (it's like a double roulette of delight.)
Rick Montalvo
Ghost Town Barber

GC0.84OC
Nacet
1WCS Badger
Zingari Wanderer
Super Speed
Astra SP
2Epoxy Cyclone
WSP Tobacco

Single Ring
Rapira
3Rick Montalvo
Ghost Town Barber
SLOC
Dorco
4WCS Badger
Zingari Wanderer
Black Beauty
Treet Sampler
Epoxy Cyclone

WSP Tobacco
GC0.84OC
Nacet
6Rick Montalvo
Ghost Town Barber
Super Speed

Astra SP
7WCS Badger
Zingari Wanderer
Single Ring
Rapira
8Epoxy Cyclone
WSP Tobacco
SLOC

Dorco
9Rick Montalvo
Ghost Town Barber
Black Beauty
Top Seller Sampler

After having spent the last eight years only using Astra SP, Personna Red, Feather, and GSB, I stocked up and now have the dilemma of picking an untried blade for the week (it's a nice problem to have). To help make the decision, I've made a list and wrote a shell script to pick one out at random. My list reads as such, with lines having #'s being excluded from the draw:

## have used / in use # on the way ################ 7 O'Clock Green 7 O'Clock Yellow ## Astra SP Astra SS ## Bic Chrome Platinum ## Feather ## Nacet Perma-Sharp Rapira Platinum Lux ## Gillette Platinum ## Gillette Silver Blue Voskhod Wilkinson Sword

Running the following sorts untried blades at random and spits out a single line that tells me the next blade up will be Wilkinson Sword:

Bash:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

BLADES=$HOME/documents/blade.list

sed '/\#/d' $BLADES | sort -R | head -n1

Happy New Year guys, may all your shaves both tried-and-true and brand-new-to-you be good ones!

By the way, I will be changing my bets soon. Got two new soaps for Christmas, and finally the stuff I ordered from Yaqi bought with birthday money back in November arrived; a new brush and a new razor head. I will figure out how to work the new soaps, brush, and razor into the bets and get back with my new bets prior to my next shave.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I'm still on the prior spin. Took a few days hiatus from the game to experiment with the Ikon Tek and all I really accomplished is reaffirm the R41 is my favorite razor.

XXXX => St. James of London cedar and sage, RazoRock 400, Mühle R41, Personna Lab Blue

D8D7E5EF-5B23-499E-BDE6-1572B1E28709.jpeg

6- RazoRock The Freedberg soap
2- TSS Rein Dachs Klassik 2-band badger
Skipped the other two 5s today, for necessary reasons. The Freedberg is a 6-year-old tub of what is now called Emperor, and it works and smells nice. Got it in trade awhile back and I’ll use it up eventually. Also got to use one of my favorite brushes.

5 is my Gillette Heritage, which I don’t like that much and I need a good shave tonight to last me through the morning for reading at church tomorrow. So I switched it out for my most trustworthy razor and blade. (The blade is a blue box Gillette Platinum.) And shaving before bed means I’m not wasting perfectly good expensive aftershave. I splashed Sea Breeze on afterwards. Works as well as any of my splashes and very inexpensive when I don’t mind smelling like camphor.

Outstanding shave.

I had my 6255 shave this morning. I was happy that the spin randomly happened to land on one of my new soaps I just got for Christmas, the Dr. Jon's Savannah Sunrise. The brush was my trusty Rubberset 400. The shavette was the Mythus and the clean-up razor was the Fatboy.

Two passes plus touch-up brought me a fantastic result; smooth and comfortable.

New spin coming in a couple of minutes.......

Here's the second spin of the year:

Enjoy!

20210103_114318-02.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Baker Street
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Feather (1)

BBS didn't come as a surprise today...

I had to concentrate a bit, the R41 paired with a Feather simply needs the lightest touch one can apply. Got one nick when I positioned the razor on my face however the strokes did not pour additional blood. I guess my technique has improved... ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom