What's new

Shave right away or let lather sit on face?

I also let it sit for 3-4 minutes, and the first pass was quite nice. Though was shaving after 4 days, so it could be psychological..!

In my climate,if I let the lather stay on my face(especially when using a soap instead of a cream),the lather quickly begins to dry out and evaporate. I can't wait any longer than a few seconds to begin shaving. Not so much with a good cream however,

Craig

I also let it sit for 3-4 minutes, and the first pass was quite nice. Though was shaving after 4 days, so it could be psychological..!

That's funny you mention this, I kept thinking "maybe this is all in my head but it does seem to work." Eh, even if it is psychological, if it made the shave more enjoyable why question it? :thumbup1:

I rub my face with proto lather and let it sit for a couple of minutes before I shave.

+1 I bowl lather, and will lather up my face quickly with proto lather and let it sit while I build the lather to where I want it in my bowl. (This takes me at least 5 min and sometimes more, depending on the soap I'm using and my experience with it). I've noticed a significant difference when I do this, vs when I do not.

I've also heard of people taking the water from the top of their soap (after soaking it) and instead of dumping that down the sink, they use their hands to suds that up and apply it to their face before they bowl lather.

This doesn't really help if you are a face lathered, but then again, I've heard that with face lathering, you need to work on your first pass at least a couple of minutes for a better shave. Maybe it's not the brush to face, but the lather on the beard for longer that makes many prefer the results of face shaving. Food for thought.

Also, I don't think it matters too much that the lather dries out, as it's the steric acid that is doing the work ( if I understand the science behind Kyle's prep right). I'm sure the water is helping as well, but it's not the only thing

I usually lather and shave... but I have seen people who lather, so some work like soaking brush, brush teeth, etc, and then apply fresh lather and shave. I guess the length of time helps the hair stand up, and then applying more lather re-hydrates?

That's funny you mention this, I kept thinking "maybe this is all in my head but it does seem to work." Eh, even if it is psychological, if it made the shave more enjoyable why question it? :thumbup1:

Ya, true. But all of this week, I will experiment with leaving it on for 3-4 minutes, at least for the first pass, which takes off most of the hair.! The latter two passes, I do not wait as long.

Even if I bowl lather, I still apply as if face lathering, i.e. a minute or two of swirling around vigorously on the face. I shower first, so my beard is pretty well soaked by the time the blade hits it.

I wouldn't just quickly paint a dry face and then dive right in.

I also follow this approach.

I've had 4 or 5 barber shaves in my life, and in very different parts of the world. One thing that really struck me about all of them, was how much time was spent on working the lather into my face. In most, they used canned goo, and then whipped it up, and then really worked it into my face.

I asked the barber who shaved me in Vegas, and he said that he remembered being told 'how-ever long you think you need...double it'.. So I've tried to take this into my routine..

I have been meaning to try this out, but forget every day and just follow the routine.

Must....remember....tomorrow.........:mad3:

I'm shaving right out of a shower and my face stays wet while I load my brush. I might take a minute to face lather. Then I begin shaving. I have tried the extended lather time and it didn't seem to make a difference.

I think this is very much up to personal preferences and before anything else: Skin type. I have sensitive skin, with cartridges I could only shave 1-2 times a week. With the right DE razor and blade combination I now shave every other day. BUT I have to take all precautions not to look like a raw piece of meat.

I believe if you want to make sure you do everything as healthy for your skin as possible, you should never forget the after-shave routine. Simply splashing on some after shave alcohol isn't enough. Most modern people's skin needs nutrition and moisturizing.

That's why I always use pre-shave oil and after my shave I always use a small amount of aloe vera, moisturizing lotion (scent free) and finally some after shave balm. If I want to use more scent, I apply some after shave lotion or eau de toilette after everything else.

Also, I don't think it matters too much that the lather dries out, as it's the steric acid that is doing the work ( if I understand the science behind Kyle's prep right). I'm sure the water is helping as well, but it's not the only thing
That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Could you explain a little further please?

On days when I face lather - wet face, build proto lather for one minute, work on face for a minute or two. Beard has been wet for 2-3 minutes.
On days when I bowl lather - wet face, build lather for a couple minutes, apply to face. Beard has been at least damp for a couple minutes.
If I straight shave I will often strop blade after the lather is on the face.

I used to let the lather sit on my face while I watch tv for 10 mins. I've stopped doing that becos sometimes I either dozed off or forgot there's lather on my face.

You certainly could do it on the premise that the cream will hydrate your whiskers and make them easier to cut. In fact the legendary Kyle's Prep relied on applying a hot towel over the lather before shaving to really soften your beard.

Kyles prep IS legendary! So much so that I can't enjoy a shave in the morning without it now. An alternative I do though is use Proraso pre shave rub in, then take shower and wait till the end to wash my head. This lets it soak in the longest time possible and let's the steam help moisturize as well.

I usually just lather up and shave, but when I have the time I do the Kyle's Prep. That is more for a pampering experience and gives me more "me" time which I like to do around once a week if possible. My thought is getting your faced prepped and hydrated and working the lather in would be just as good as letting it sit. BUT I am no scientist even though I play one while I am dreaming sometimes. YMMV

That's the first time I've ever heard of that. Could you explain a little further please?

You should go read Kyle's prep as he goes into a lot if detail. In short - water is not the only thing that helps soften the beard. You also want steric acid which weakens the hair making it easier to cut. Kind of the reverse of what conditioner does. I've heard you should never use a soap that doesn't have steric acid in it as it won't be nearly as effective. Kyles prep does both, as you lather up then put a hot towel on your face on top of the lather, so you get steric acid and hydration.

After washing my face in the shower with a washcloth and shower gel, I apply a hot wash cloth to my face three times, for about a :30 each time. Then I bowl lather into a nice creamy consistency and apply it to my face with a brush. I believe working the lather into the beard with the brush with circular, up and down, and cross strokes for 3-4 minutes gives my face the prep it needs. If I follow this consistently, I get an easy, smooth shave. I think the key for me is working the later with the brush. That's what it's for. Buying a quality brush is a waste of time and money if you don't work the bristles into the skin and beard, as it is designed to do. YMMV...

You should go read Kyle's prep as he goes into a lot if detail. In short - water is not the only thing that helps soften the beard. You also want steric acid which weakens the hair making it easier to cut. Kind of the reverse of what conditioner does. I've heard you should never use a soap that doesn't have steric acid in it as it won't be nearly as effective. Kyles prep does both, as you lather up then put a hot towel on your face on top of the lather, so you get steric acid and hydration.
I have found some YMMV here. Body Shop Maca Root, which has Stearic Acid doesn't soften up my beard very well at all. Proraso works much better. Strange but the ingredients are very similar so I'm not sure exactly what the difference is. But I've done at least a couple weeks with each and the results have been consistent.

Top Bottom