What's new

Shave right away or let lather sit on face?

I came across this shaving article on WebMD where they had talked to a dermologist who says it is important to let the shave lather sit on your face for 2-3 minutes.

I am just starting to use shave cream (Proraso red) with my cartridge razor until my DE safety razor arrives but I haven't been letting it sit.

I usually just start shaving as soon as my face is lathered up.

Am I doing it wrong? Do most of you let the lather sit on your face for a few minutes?

I've been shaving since I was 14 (now 37 ) and I never let the shaving cream sit on my face before I start shaving.

You certainly could do it on the premise that the cream will hydrate your whiskers and make them easier to cut. In fact the legendary Kyle's Prep relied on applying a hot towel over the lather before shaving to really soften your beard.

Personally, I just lather up and shave.

I leave the lather on for around 20 seconds before I shave. Too long and the lather starts to dry out but I think this short wait helps prepare the whiskers to be shaved. Works for me and I very seldom have any irritation.

I never gave much thought to the amount of time I allow the shaving soap I allow to stay on my face until I start shaving. I start shaving the moment I get my razor rinsed as well. Maybe I should try and wait 2-3 minutes before I start shaving. I'll give that some thought.

I find shaving right after the shower is sufficient to soften my beard. I also don't need any pre-shave oil or cream. My beard is coarse but not very heavy. Might be interesting to try it. See if it helps.

I shower first, slap on a little Trumper's Coral Skin Food, then I whip up my lather. I am a bowl latherer, but I still take the time to really work the lather into my whiskers; I don't just paint the lather on. I don't let it just sit, though, as I think the lather might use its efficacy if it just sat too long. Oh, bowl, brush, and hard soap (if using), are all warmed while I shower.

Even if I bowl lather, I still apply as if face lathering, i.e. a minute or two of swirling around vigorously on the face. I shower first, so my beard is pretty well soaked by the time the blade hits it.

I wouldn't just quickly paint a dry face and then dive right in.

Depends on your beard. I've done a lot of experimenting here and I can say 2-3 minutes makes little difference for me. 15 minutes makes a huge difference though. If I let my lather sit that long my whiskers are soft and wipe off my face. That makes my shaves comfortable so that's what I do. I know a lot of guys would draw the line at more than 30 seconds of prep but when you have a beard like mine, a comfortable shave is worth the time and freedom from razor burn.

Depends on your beard. I've done a lot of experimenting here and I can say 2-3 minutes makes little difference for me. 15 minutes makes a huge difference though. If I let my lather sit that long my whiskers are soft and wipe off my face. That makes my shaves comfortable so that's what I do. I know a lot of guys would draw the line at more than 30 seconds of prep but when you have a beard like mine, a comfortable shave is worth the time and freedom from razor burn.
How do you keep you soap from drying out?

I never bother to let the lather sit on my face. To be honest I do zero beard prep and get right down to business.

That being said I have fairly light facial hair growth so as always YMMV.

I let the lather sit for about 2 minutes before I apply the razor. I usually have to freshen up the lather by mopping it over with my brush. I do find that this extra time allows the whiskers to hydrate, my skin to be moisturized, and results in a much better shave.

I was wet-shaving for about 3 years before I figured out this little trick. It was a face-palm moment. Why didn't I think of this sooner? And why hadn't anybody on B&B ever mentioned this little common sense addition to my routine?

It is helpful to soften your beard if you let your lather "soak"

If you do not have any issues with razor burn then your prep is fine and whether you let lather sit for a while before starting to shave should make little to no difference in the comfort of your shave.

Top Bottom