What's new

Shave before or after shower?

I responded to a thread earlier with something similar to this but wasn't asking the question, who else shaves before they shower or wash their face? If I don't thoroughly wash off all of the shaving soap residue I break out in pimples badly, always have. It doesn't matter what shaving soap or cream I use, I could spend ten minutes rinsing my face after shaving and I'd still break out, I have to thoroughly wash with regular hand, body or face soap afterward to prevent breakouts. I'm 58 now and always had pretty clear skin, even as a teenager but developed rosacea/adult acne about 12 years ago so I certainly don't want the addition of more zits on top of that.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have always shaved before I shower. It works for me. I will wash my face in the sink, shave then shower. Even after I have showered and used a bath soap sometimes I think I can still smell some of the the shaving soaps that I have. I suppose it can also be a learned exercise. My father is a shower in the evening and then go to bed person and shave in the morning when you get up person. I shave and shower in the mornings when I get up in that order.

I have always shaved before I shower. It works for me. I will wash my face in the sink, shave then shower. Even after I have showered and used a bath soap sometimes I think I can still smell some of the the shaving soaps that I have. I suppose it can also be a learned exercise. My father is a shower in the evening and then go to bed person and shave in the morning when you get up person. I shave and shower in the mornings when I get up in that order.
My dad was that way, always showered at night, shaved in the morning. It's certainly more conducive to spontaneous romantic interludes with the wife/girlfriend if you shower before bed but even if I shower at night I shower again the next morning or I just don't feel clean all day.

I've always worked in construction or truck driving (Garbage and dump trucks) so I have always showered at night, to wash the day's dirt off. Showering in the morning sounds disgusting to me, because that would mean going to bed covered in sweat and dirt.
But if I was a banker or lawyer, I might feel different.
Anyway,... I always shave immediately after the evening shower. The stubble is hydrated, warm and soft. Perfect for shaving. I occassionally need an afternoon shave without a shower and even if I get BBS, my skin is irritated.

After.

Although if I shave without a shower (like in the evening) I honestly don't notice a difference. I still go through all of the motions for good prep though.

Top Bottom