What's new

Shave before or after shower?

Why? That make no sense to me that a shower first would cause ingrowns!
Because I can rinse the shaving soap off more effectively in the shower. 2-3 rinses at the sink invariably leaves enough to cause me problems. In theory I could rinse enough times at the sink, I suppose, but at that point it’s almost like taking another shower. I could also use another soap that rinses off easier, but Stirling offerings are my preference and they don’t come off easy. Doing it in this order just makes for a smoother process in my experience.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I shower first... I use either Cetaphil or CeraVe moisturizing face cleanser in the shower and add the Phoenix Cube 2 to the areas of my face that I shave. That is the last thing I rinse off... my face. I have tried washing my face only, then shaving, but for me, the shower seems to soften my old man whiskers better than a face wash, perhaps because of the duration in the steamy shower combined with the two products.

Like so many things here, one person likes X and the next person really doesn't like X but prefers Y. That's a fun part of this journey for me... finding out what works best. I do wonder sometimes, if and when I figure that out, will it affect my involvement here on B&B. I'm guessing, my participation here will evolve. The friendships that develop here feel like lasting ones. That is why I enjoy B&B so much. Time will tell.

Always after the shower, since I really see no point in just shaving and then taking a shower. I do sometimes shave without a shower prep, but most of the time I rather take a shower to get that extra softness, since I'm having a really hard time softening my beard and most of the time not even a good warm shower as well as washing my face with a shampoo aren't helping that much and my beard still feels like sandpaper.

Softening my beard is probably the only thing that to this day I find a bit tricky and the only shave related thing that I hate and also one of the main reasons why I don't want to shave too often.
@Medivh You may want to try Sterling Soaps pre-shave soaps. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried a free sample and found that it soften my beard and made a more pleasant shave in my mustache area where the hair is so dense. I shower before shaving just so I can make my face hydrated and soften my beard. The Sterling pre-shave soap makes it even better for me.

Reading some of the comments here about skipping the shower and just shaving makes me think that I should break out my scuttles for non-shower days and see how that works. I would rather not take up the extra time and water to shower every day just to shave. I have a pair of scuttles from Dirty Bird Pottery. One is a bowl scuttle. The other is a brush scuttle. I have not tried the brush scuttle yet, but since it is getting colder in my neck of the woods, I may give it a try.

Almost always after unless I am in a super rush (very rare) then I will use my wife’s Gillette Fusion in the shower for a quick one pass without soap.

• Wow
Reactions: CCS
Shave in the morning when I get up, it's my morning routine
Shower in the evening, before going to bed
Shower makes my skin too soft and I tend to cut my self
For shave I use cold water, good results, and nice wake up call

Top Bottom