What's new

SHARK WEEK: July 24-31!!

So I find myself in the unusual position of having no less than five blades in progress.
Interesting observation there, Lancre. I have a blade on each of my rotation razors so that they are all ready to go when I choose (I also clean my razors after each use). But I been thinking about rotating the same blade in multiple razors. Is that what you do if I am correct?

Cheers,

Guido

I know that I have been AWOL for most of this week and I apologize. Work has been hectic, and my wife is having various health problems keeping my attention mostly occupied elsewhere. My last 4 shaves have been with a Shark Super Stainless blade in a Winning razor. These have been good blades for me. They don't seem as sharp as some of my other blades but I have not experienced tugging. No weepers or irritation were experienced. I enjoyed this blade more than the Shark Platinum. All in all, the Shark Stainless has proved itself to be a comfortable and drama free blade that causes no fear in this shaver. YMMV
No need to apologise SDG. You did the most important thing - taking care of loved ones, especially if the mrs is concerned. That’s the love equivalent of BBS if you ask me.

Best,

Guido

Interesting observation there, Lancre. I have a blade on each of my rotation razors so that they are all ready to go when I choose (I also clean my razors after each use). But I been thinking about rotating the same blade in multiple razors. Is that what you do if I am correct?
Not as a general rule. Usually I tend to leave a blade in a razor until it's time to discard it. The rare exceptions are when I'm trying out a rare blade and want to see it in a variety of razors.

This summer, I have been trying out an RK blade in my AL-13, and a Schick Super Stainless (Old Friend PIF) currently in a Pearl Flexi.

For Shark week, I turned to a razor I like so much that I bought a back-up, and then backed that one up. So the 3 blades I compared were in 3 different NDC SuperSpeeds. If you spend enough time (way too much time) in antique shops, eventually you run across bargains.

July 31

It was a long drive home from vacation today. On the plus side, I once again have access to all my shave gear. For today's shave, I loaded a Shark Super Stainless (5) into my Gillette NEW and face lathered Razorock Lime Burst using my Vie Long horse hair brush. A very close shave, about as close as I get to BBS, and no blood.

2022-07-31 20.04.50.jpg

Shark Week Shave #8 - Shark Super Stainless (4)

TL;DR -
One last Shark Week shave, smooth and comfortable, no blood, excellent week!!

Equipment: Merkur 20C, Shark SS(4), PdP 63 Shave Soap

The Shave: Shark Super Stainless Blade continues to give me an excellent shave, smooth and comfortable. I skipped shaving yesterday, then lathered up with PdP 63, and swam with the Shark SS. No blood, no drama, just a wonderful DFS shave.

Acknowledgments: Thank you, @BigJ, for organizing this year's Shark Week!! This has been fun, great banter, and excellent chance to try a couple of different Shark Blades and a JAWS blade!!

Shark Week SOTD
8FCB7567-3ECB-4C8F-9ABA-E436B7C38425.jpeg

Soap: Arko
Brush: Golden Nib Silvertip
Razor: Razorock Lupo .72
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (4)

Thankfully ending Shark week on a high note. Perfectly comfortable 2 pass evening shave. No bites, no nibbles. DFS.

9.5/10

Can’t wait to use a different blade though.

Shave 7 of SHARK!!!! WEEK

Cold water splash
ARKO* shave soap
Simpson Trafalgar T3 Synthetic brush
Bicrops porcelain lather bowl
Razorock Game Changer .84P
SHARK!!!!* Super Chrome (2)
Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol balm

*ARKO/SHARKO!!!

It was a sad day that SHARK!!!! Week had to come to a close. I decided to go out with a bang, using a more efficient razor than my other SHARK!!!! shaves. And since it's still hot as the hinges of H-E-Double Hockey Sticks, this was my second cold water shave in history, which is working very well, surprisingly.

This was a three pass shave, WTG, XTG, ATG. No bloodshed, no irritation, nothing to get the SHARKS!!!! excited.
I would rate this shave 9.7/10
I’ve been doing more night shaves and cold water shaves cause of how hot it’s been. Not what I’m used to at all, but it seems to help going to sleep in the heat with a fresh shave and a face that’s been thoroughly mentholated.

This was my Sunday night shave (more like Monday morning--but the sharks are out, hungry).
Jaws blade #3 or 4?
Jaws Razor 0.68
Preshave:Cella
Soap Cella
Brush: Muhle synthetic
AS Proraso Red
AB Proraso blue

2+ pass, face shave. Blade feels just very good, sharp and smooth; well a hint of irritation. NO blood at all, and a close shave.

Cool shark week, managed to use 1/2 Shark SS, 1 Shark Plat, and one Jaws.....in an ascending order of quality shaves

617CEF31-5E72-430D-A64A-A4341E565A12.jpeg

Blade: Shark Platinum
Razor:1969 (O4) Gillette Super Adjustable 6-7-7
Brush: Vie-Long (horse hair)
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Arkadia
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer - Cooling Blue

As Shark Week comes to an end I'm happy to have survived without any bloodshed. My reward was some amazingly smooth shaves.

Looks like a few beauties of the sea decided to join me for my farewell voyage.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.

Cheers,

Guido
I always remove my blade from the razor, clean it and store it in the paper. I like to see how a blade performs in different razors so I swap it around. If you leave a blade in a particular razor it can bend the blade, like with the Fatip Piccolo which means it can't be used in another razor. When I am pushing a blade for maximum shaves I find a progression of razors is needed. It also means that I never store a blade in my razors as I have smallish children.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
View attachment 1497467

Blade: Shark Platinum
Razor:1969 (O4) Gillette Super Adjustable 6-7-7
Brush: Vie-Long (horse hair)
Soap: Stirling Soap Co. - Arkadia
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer - Cooling Blue

As Shark Week comes to an end I'm happy to have survived without any bloodshed. My reward was some amazingly smooth shaves.

Looks like a few beauties of the sea decided to join me for my farewell voyage.
Unfortunately, I never got to experience the Skin Bracer Cooling Blue. :sad:

This was my Sunday night shave (more like Monday morning--but the sharks are out, hungry).
Jaws blade #3 or 4?
Jaws Razor 0.68
Preshave:Cella
Soap Cella
Brush: Muhle synthetic
AS Proraso Red
AB Proraso blue

2+ pass, face shave. Blade feels just very good, sharp and smooth; well a hint of irritation. NO blood at all, and a close shave.

Cool shark week, managed to use 1/2 Shark SS, 1 Shark Plat, and one Jaws.....in an ascending order of quality shaves

Plus, You lived to tell the tale!! :a17::a17::a17:

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shaves #6

Last night's shave was still pretty good. The Shark Platinum left me with a BBS with a minor but painless love bite.

I, again, paired the Shark Platinum with a Fatip Grande and used @COdiak's Frankmenth soap. I lathered the soap in my Captain's Choice Cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl with my Cherry Semogue Owner's Club finest badger brush. I finished my shave with some Barrister & Mann Terror aftershave splash.

Again, instead of showering before shaving, I opted to take a shower after shaving. I soaked my SOC in a cup of cold water and also soaked an almond sized dollop of the Frankmenthsoap in cold water in my lather bowl for 20 minutes. During this time, I prepared my face and beard by periodically dousing them in (cold) water.

After the soap and brush were soaked sufficiently, I made a thick yogurty lather in my lather bowl. I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG). Before each pass, I wet my face with some bloom water on my face then painted on the lather from my bowl until I built a thick and protective layer. I wound up with my usual BBS shave.

The shave was still good but I wound up with a painless weeper on my upper lip. My alum block couldn't staunch the bleeding, but I did stop it with my styptic pencil. Still, the blade felt as sharp as (but maybe a tad less smooth) than with the previous shave.

Afterward, I showered and rinsed off the alum block and styptic residue with some more cold water. I finished my shave by splashing some B&M Terror after shave splash and enjoyed the cooling sensation.

All in all, I would give the shave a 99/100.

03DF41E3-22D9-42E5-A657-7940AF69BE22.jpeg

Shark Platinum Blade #1 Shaves #6

Last night's shave was still pretty good. The Shark Platinum left me with a BBS with a minor but painless love bite.

I, again, paired the Shark Platinum with a Fatip Grande and used @COdiak's Frankmenth soap. I lathered the soap in my Captain's Choice Cobalt Seaworthy lather bowl with my Cherry Semogue Owner's Club finest badger brush. I finished my shave with some Barrister & Mann Terror aftershave splash.

Again, instead of showering before shaving, I opted to take a shower after shaving. I soaked my SOC in a cup of cold water and also soaked an almond sized dollop of the Frankmenthsoap in cold water in my lather bowl for 20 minutes. During this time, I prepared my face and beard by periodically dousing them in (cold) water.

After the soap and brush were soaked sufficiently, I made a thick yogurty lather in my lather bowl. I completed a two pass shave (WTG and ATG). Before each pass, I wet my face with some bloom water on my face then painted on the lather from my bowl until I built a thick and protective layer. I wound up with my usual BBS shave.

The shave was still good but I wound up with a painless weeper on my upper lip. My alum block couldn't staunch the bleeding, but I did stop it with my styptic pencil. Still, the blade felt as sharp as (but maybe a tad less smooth) than with the previous shave.

Afterward, I showered and rinsed off the alum block and styptic residue with some more cold water. I finished my shave by splashing some B&M Terror after shave splash and enjoyed the cooling sensation.

All in all, I would give the shave a 99/100.

View attachment 1497640
I always remove my blade from the razor, clean it and store it in the paper. I like to see how a blade performs in different razors so I swap it around. If you leave a blade in a particular razor it can bend the blade, like with the Fatip Piccolo which means it can't be used in another razor. When I am pushing a blade for maximum shaves I find a progression of razors is needed. It also means that I never store a blade in my razors as I have smallish children.
The Fatip Piccolo bends the blade? How interesting! I'm glad I also remove the blade after every shave (but I really do this in order to rinse and dry the parts of the razor, including the blade, after shaving). I usually leave the razor disassembled on my counter until shortly before my next shave, but that's due to laziness and procrastination--not from trying to prevent the blade from bending.

Who knew my bad habits would have a positive impact on my shaving gear! 😆

Bending the blade? Never noticed that before - but it might explain variance I get when I do swap a blade. And I appreciate the smaller children aspect. Mine are teenagers - and know they need to stay away from my shaving gear. Blade or no blade :117:.

Best,

Guido

Top Bottom