What's new

Shank repair

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What is the best way to repair stripped out threads in the mortise area of the shank? Of course I still want to be able to unscrew the stems from the shank after the repair

Last edited:
are you talking about a briar or meerschaum. Most briar don't have threaded tenons but there are exceptions. Repair differs depending on material and tenon type so as much detail as possible please.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Two or three of my fathers old pipes need repair, at least one of them is threaded. I just unpacked ten pipes yesterday, seeing them for the first time in decades, so I didn't pay close attention and am not that familiar with different pipe types yet. I'll post back with more specific info later.

Some pipe repair is really simple and worth doing on your own, but my personal opinion is that that's something you'd want done from a pipe repair professional.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Sorry for the lack of pictures, but the primary pipe in question is a is a Rossi Barone 234 which has a rustic bowl with a smooth briar extension that screws into the bowl, the stem is not threaded itself and is the customary friction fit tenon. The stem fits the mortise of the extension OK, its the threaded connection of the smooth stem extension to the rustic bowl that is the issue. I will probably send this off to be fully restored as it is a nice pipe no longer made. The other pipe is probably not worth professional restoration. Although it appears to be a Savinelli Oscar 623, the shank of the bowl into which the stem is inserted is cracked and I will probably deal with it myself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom