What's new

Several Questions from a Straight Razor Initiate

+2 on getting a razor from whippeddog.com I do not know what a new razor from DOVO or TI is like but I do know that vintage razors can give you a really good shave. Out of the 75 shaves I have done thus far, 70 have been with vintage blades.

So my advice is that since you do not yet know if straights are for you, it makes no sense whatsoever to fork out a huge amount of money on equipement. Get yourself a cheap vintage shave ready razor from a reputable vendor (see above). Get a cheap strop because you are most likely going to nick it while learning to strop and get some cheap paste and a piece of balsa to put it on. I own a vintage Erik Anton Berg swedish razor which I have used at least 30 times and when the edge needed tuning I did it on an old paddle strop which I pasted with TI paste (5 € and plenty left) and it does wonders. I have not watched any videos on applying pastes so it would seem to be almost foolproof. :blink:

I am thinking of buying a barber's hone but that is only because I now know that straights will always be in my rotation.

Legion

Staff member
I have never bought a new straight razor. All mine are vintage. The first couple were obtained shave ready from reliable people and then, when I started restoring my own, I had something to measure against.

Got my start up set from Whipped Dog. Inexpensive way to get started with a known quality edge. Traded that one in after a month to reset my expectations for sharpness while accumulating some nice vintage razors on Ebay and beginning the journey to honing my own.

And you know, the straight I got from Larry is beautiful as well as functional. I also bought a NOS German razor, very flashy and very good. But it doesn't shave any better than the expensive NOS.

So I'd say go that route and then you will know in a few months how much you want to spend on the newer and fancier.

Of course one will not be enough...................

I am thinking of buying a barber's hone but that is only because I now know that straights will always be in my rotation.

Thanks for the info Gustav.

Does your rotation also include DEs and if yes, why do you not just stick to straights ?

Thanks for the info Gustav.

Does your rotation also include DEs and if yes, why do you not just stick to straights ?

Yes I have a few DEs that I have lent to a friend. I have not been into wet shaving long enough to have lost my sense of curiosity. That is why before I make up my mind I just want to give at least SEs, injectors, adjustables and slants a shot. Also I am a father to a 14 month old daughter and sometimes the nights are so rough that even though I shave in the evening, I am so tired that the concentration needed for shaving with a straight is just too much in order for me to enjoy the process. For those rare occasions, it is nice to have a DE around.

Top Bottom