What's new

Setting an Knot with Tight Fit?

I had and a Alpha 400 style handle. I originally set a Badger/Boar knot in. Ended up hating the knot for feel reason ad it was a shed monster. Ordered a new boar knot (I'm realizing they are my favorites. The knot is an extremely tight fit. Trying for a 55mm loft but can only get it down to 60mm. Feels as if there is a build up of glue that caused the knot to fan out a little. Forcing it in I was actually shaving hairs off on the aluminum collar.

Any ideas on how to get it deeper?

If you can’t get it in there by giving it a good push down into the socket, then you either need a handle with a wider socket, a smaller knot, or a knot with a smaller glue bump. Trying to force the one you have will likely result in damage to the knot, handle, or both.

Sanding or grinding out the hole in the handle a bit will be much better on the knot. A little extra space is much better that tight as it keeps the hairs from getting damaged on the edge of the hole

If you can’t get it in there by giving it a good push down into the socket, then you either need a handle with a wider socket, a smaller knot, or a knot with a smaller glue bump. Trying to force the one you have will likely result in damage to the knot, handle, or both.
Thanks. I ended up leaving the loft at 60mm as that's as low as i could get it without damage. I'll see how it feels in a couple days.

Used it a few times and it work pretty well. It's a little floppy. In time a may remove the knot and go to Maggards and try a few to get one that will set deeper.

Try putting an O-ring or two around the base of the knot like this. That should be similar to setting it deeper.

badger with o-rings.jpg

It is easy to open up the hole with a Dremel with a drum sander attachment. I've opened up handles intended for a 20 mm knot wide enough to accept a 26 mm knot. Very often the hole needs to opened up when you have the actual knot in hand. The one that needed a different approach was a stone handle for which I needed a diamond tipped rotory file because the stone was so hard. Opened up a 21 mm hole to fit a 24 mm knot.

I forgot about the o-ring trick. I don't want to grind the aluminum collar on the handle. I may just boil it out and go to maggards and test fit knots. Have done the before with other handles.

Top Bottom