What's new

SEs just shave better (IMO)

I love shaving with a DE and thought I found the best shave I was going to get with a feather blade in a Gillette SS. Then I found a GEM 1912 at the antique store for 13$. I've been shaving with it for over a week now and it's amazing. Almost no irritation in my trouble spots and the shave is superb. I can actually go ATG with an SE no problem. It's hard to get under the nose but I've found that an ATG pass is possible and clean it up nice. Even my girlfriend noticed the difference in shave quality; she rubbed my cheek and said, "I've never felt such a smooth face." So far, the only problem I see is blade longevity (because of oxidation) but I'm going to order some Pella Stainless blades and see how they fair.

Is it the thicker blade in the SE that gives such great shaves?

Lots of people here would agree with you about the quality of SE shaves.
Many of them also believe the thicker, more rigid blades used in the Gem-type,
Schick injector, or Cobra razors does indeed make the difference.
Just a suggestion that Pella's prices plus shipping are stiff; my personal preference
for the Gem PTFE blades happens to be a U.K. firm, Connaught Shaving. They have
a number of other familiar shave products at competitive prices and ordering/delivery
is surprisingly easier than I first feared.
Anyway I happen to be a SE fan (Gem or Cobra, but Schick doesn't work for me), Gems
the current favorite. Haven't used a DE in a long time but I haven't trashed the few I own.
jr

Yes, definitely get the PTFE coated blades, far superior to the regular stainless IMO. I love my SE razors and I basically got the same impression as you once I got my 1912. You should try an Injector too, wonderful shavers and super easy to use.

Is it the thicker blade in the SE that gives such great shaves?

That is one of the two things that I figured go into play of the better shave. I've been using the GEM bullet-tip for most of September and I think it is the preset angle of the head of the razor that takes all the guess work out of proper angle to face and the thicker blades that have given me much better shaves. I've been using mostly carbon steel blades and achieving BBS most of the time with just two passes where it would take 4 with a DE. Also my neck looks a lot better. If I didn't like variety and challenges so much then this would be my only razor.

Top Bottom