What's new

Service life of brushes

OK, so lets say that you just bought a new brush, say a.....Savile Row 3118 for example :)biggrin: ) If properly cleaned and cared for, what do you think the life expectancy is?

OK, so lets say that you just bought a new brush, say a.....Savile Row 3118 for example :)biggrin: ) If properly cleaned and cared for, what do you think the life expectancy is?

Depends on how many brushes you have in your rotation.

I know I used a single Omega boar brush virtually every day for several years without any real signs of wear (other than the bristles softened up quite a bit).

I used a Vulfix 2234 every day for four years that has been passed on to my younger brother. I would say it has plenty of life left in it. I would say maybe 10-15 years of daily use(possibly more), much longer if in a rotation.

Presuming the quality of the brush is first rate, and there are no defects that arise - a shaving brush could last 50+ years. I have seen, used, and own some examples that are 50+ years old, and have seen REALLY a lot of use, and are still in remarkably good shape, with plenty of service life left in them.

... a shaving brush could last 50+ years.
Man, guess I should think about which brush to get for at least 50 days. Actually, it only took me a week to decide on C&E Best brush. But that is my training wheels brush which I hope to replace with thy one in about 50 more days. :biggrin:

But if a brush can last that long, what is the business on selling brushes if you only sell one to a customer. Where is the repeat customer? Oh, wait, don't answer that one Joel. :biggrin: No Gillette sales tactic here, no brush cartridges... :idea:

Presuming the quality of the brush is first rate, and there are no defects that arise - a shaving brush could last 50+ years. I have seen, used, and own some examples that are 50+ years old, and have seen REALLY a lot of use, and are still in remarkably good shape, with plenty of service life left in them.

So with that said an investment in a $150 brush , if taken care of, could last 50 years, bringing the cost of that brush to $3 a year..

sounds like justification to me!!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom