What's new

Serge Lutens Chergui

okay, i was buying it but wanted to hear more thoughts on it. i've been pleased with my other SL purchases.
Schad, fwiw, does SL make anything that could be a daily scent?

Not for me, no.
It's been a while since I sampled their range, but IIRC Borneo and the Gingerbread one are too foody. Fumerie turque is WAY too smoky cigarette. Amber Sultan I did not like but it could be work at work. Chergui COULD be worn at work I would say, but not for me. I find them to be strong scents.. Very mediterranean desert type frags (my perception, I dont know the whole ingredient pyramid stuff) that doesn't work for me at work. LDDM by Tauer is in that same class. Maybe incense?

Im sure others can put their thoughts into words better than I.

Honey tobacco amber....spicy sweet oriental. Very nice stuff!

That's spot on. I always say Chergui is a honeyed tobacco with some spices.

does SL make anything that could be a daily scent?

All of the SL scents have great longevity and usually have substantial sillage, so for daily wear it depends on you personality. However, if any of them were to be daily scents, I'd think Encens et Lavande or Serge Noire would one. I could wear Chergui often - in fact, I do wear it often - but I don't think the sweet honeyed tobacco would be easy to wear after a while.

Chergui is a one of the more highly regarded Lutens that I can tell. I tend to think it may have passed Ambre Sultan as their best seller, but that's a guess. I tried it and it had some sort of similarity with Ambre Sultan to me. Not that I really think they smell much alike. Some sort of "house signature" or some such that I pick up on with all SL.

It's very nice, but I think most of the Lutens are pretty special, very continental, and don't IMO lend themselves to being daily scents for most of us. Other frag personality types could easily disagree.

Chergui is way too sickly sweet for my nose, as are most of the SL line I've tried. Of those I could imagine someone wearing every day, my picks are Daim Blond (my fave), Vetiver Oriental (rather dull for a vetiver), Serge Noire (solid) and Chene (nice and dry).

Chergui is a one of the more highly regarded Lutens that I can tell. I tend to think it may have passed Ambre Sultan as their best seller, but that's a guess. I tried it and it had some sort of similarity with Ambre Sultan to me. Not that I really think they smell much alike. Some sort of "house signature" or some such that I pick up on with all SL.

It's very nice, but I think most of the Lutens are pretty special, very continental, and don't IMO lend themselves to being daily scents for most of us. Other frag personality types could easily disagree.

I really like the concept of "frag personality types", Stylin'. I think this could easily justify it's own lengthy thread/discussion. I don't have time to share all the thoughts that spring up with this, but I think there are a lot of factors that probably contribute a persons frag personality type. I'll have to come back to this later. But for now, duty calls.

Vetiver Oriental (rather dull for a vetiver)

I just want to emphasize the "oriental" in this. It dominates the vetiver, which is more of a top note and is more grassy than earthy. I agree, though, it's a bit misleading and while I expected more of a vetiver note in this, with perhaps an amber or leather backbone (a la Bois d'Ombrie, perhaps) I wasn't entirely disappointed. Still, not my favorite SL.

BAM, Cheguri *drops mic and walks off stage*

Resurrecting a dead thread for this fragrance because I've just now tried it and love it. Now, I should preface that with, I don't "love" the opening, as the iris makes me think of my Grandmother, but it's short lived. After maybe 10 min, it morphs into a warm smoky tobacco, amber and vanilla with a hint of musc to dirty it up a bit. It's sweet, but not Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille sweet, and in my eyes Cheguri is everything that TV should be.

Normally, not a fan of Serge Luten frags, but this one fills a spot in my rotation for sure. Try it

I am a fan of Lutens and this one is "Chergui" but I am unable to edit the thread title. Great scent although I would agree that daily wear would be a stretch.

I can almost imagine myself wearing Fille en aiguilles daily (apart from in the heat of summer).

I am a fan of Lutens and this one is "Chergui" but I am unable to edit the thread title. Great scent although I would agree that daily wear would be a stretch.

I can almost imagine myself wearing Fille en aiguilles daily (apart from in the heat of summer).

HA!! You, sir are correct. I hadn't even noticed, nice catch!

How does this compare to

Tabac Rouge Phaedon

which I hear is amazing.

proxy.php

Top Bottom