What's new

Semogue OC question

Is this brush a face lather brush ? It seems when I build a lather in my palm , it takes so much longer than my other Semogue brush that I have. When I load a soap, it requires way more soap than my other brush too. I will state , the brush has 3 shaves on its belt . Does it need to be broken in more ?

First off, which OC are we talking about? Boar, badger, or mixed? Also, denser knots require more loading. What is the other brush you're comparing it to?

Boar. Comparing it to my Semogue 620.

I've never used a 620, but I like both the 830 and the Boar OC. The OC definitely need more load time than my 830, even after both were well broken in. With only 3 shaves on it, the OC is nowhere near broken in; it'll take alt least 30-40 shaves to be well broken in, but you should see some improvement both in lathering and softness within the first 10-12 shaves.

I've never used a 620, but I like both the 830 and the Boar OC. The OC definitely need more load time than my 830, even after both were well broken in. With only 3 shaves on it, the OC is nowhere near broken in; it'll take alt least 30-40 shaves to be well broken in, but you should see some improvement both in lathering and softness within the first 10-12 shaves.
I’m not asking if it’s broken in though :) . I’m asking if the brush required far more loading than other brushes , and if it’s more of a face lather than a brush for palm lathering.

I’m not asking if it’s broken in though :) . I’m asking if the brush required far more loading than other brushes , and if it’s more of a face lather than a brush for palm lathering.

I bowl lather, so take this with a grain of salt. Personally, for face lathering, I'd prefer a softer, less dense brush, so I'd choose my 830 over the OC for face lathering. But that's me; you might feel the opposite. Either way though, the OC is going to require more loading than the 620 and probably more time to work the lather as a result.

I bowl lather, so take this with a grain of salt. Personally, for face lathering, I'd prefer a softer, less dense brush, so I'd choose my 830 over the OC for face lathering. But that's me; you might feel the opposite. Either way though, the OC is going to require more loading than the 620 and probably more time to work the lather as a result.
I may have got the wrong brush for me then. I wanted the 830 ‘s speed with a more comfortable handle.

I may have got the wrong brush for me then. I wanted the 830 ‘s speed with a more comfortable handle.

They're very different, but I like both on different days as the mood strikes me.

Somewhere, Semogue has a chart describing the composition of their knots, so you can try to find the same knot you like in a different handle. For my 830, the same knot shows up (if I remember correctly) in the 1305 with a wooden handle. I like the acrylic handle, so I'm happy with the 830.

I use mine for bow and face lather. All depend from my mood at the moment. And no issue with both methods.

No issue with my owner's club using either method either.

I would put about 30 shaves in it before you start making any decisions.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I’ve been hand lathering and it seems to get better and better as I go while I break it in. It seemed it was impossible to load and build a lather with it that first shave.

Is this brush a face lather brush ? It seems when I build a lather in my palm , it takes so much longer than my other Semogue brush that I have. When I load a soap, it requires way more soap than my other brush too. I will state , the brush has 3 shaves on its belt . Does it need to be broken in more ?
It take's a month of daily shaves to fully break in a boar hair brush. The SOC boar brush is a great face lathering brush once it is fully broken in.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

+1!! Great comparison!! Denser brushes require more product whether boar, badger, or whatever.

Top Bottom