What's new

Semogue 1250 vs 1800

Hi all,

I already have a Semogue 620 which is breaking in nicely and a bunch of Omegas that are terrific (10098, 81230, 10077 and Proraso). So obviously I got a little AD brewing here.

Now I am debating between the 1800 and 1250. For those who own both brushes and both are fully broken-in: how would you compare the two and which one is your favorite (and why)?

Thanks,
Erez

I saw that thread, but i ask a simple question of the good folks that happen to (actually) own and use both, they kindly contribute to that thread, which was more about the knot.
My question is slightly different.

The 1800 splays much less than the 1250. The 1250 is nice and soft right out of the box while the 1800 needs some break in time.

I prefer the 1250 over the 1800.

I like the 1250 better. To me it splays less than the 1800 but is softer. Same comparison to the 610 (prefer) vs the 620.

Søren, your comparisons are always a great read indeed.

I did find your review (I read all of your reviews, I think) but still I opted to start a new thread.
Why? Because most of the contributions or followups were "i only have X and its amazing!" or "i had X for 2 years and Y for 2 days and let me tell you___!" and of course "i have neither X or Y but according to the Semogue chart the ____".

Now, since these are not synthetic brushes there is sample variation, so I figured it would be interesting get more opinions but folks that also actually do own both and have had them over a non trivial amount of time.

Cordially,
Erez

That's perfectly OK :001_smile

Since I have both and use them from time to time and often back-to-back, I'll burden you with my opinion :001_rolle

I don't find them to be much of a difference. A direct comparison may show some small differences, but this could just as well be batch differences in the hairs.
I would say mine has pretty much the same splay and re-reading my test I stick to what I experienced then, this still holds for my two brushes.

And with that I prefer (with an itsy bitsy tiny bit :biggrin1:) the 1800.

And now for my mantra; "If in doubt, get both." :lol:

I'll throw in my two cents since I have and use both the 1250 and 1800 (BTW, Soren's reviews are great reads!).

I prefer the 1250 slightly more than the 1800. My 1250 splays slightly more than my 1800, which is a good thing for me. I can't detect much of a difference in tip softness, truth be told.

Honestly, if it's not a financial burden, you should get both.

I have both and find them completely different. The 1800 I find has a lot of backbone and the 1250 in comparison is super soft. I enjoy both and face lather with them. The 1800 I use with soaps and the 1250 I use with creams. Buy both you wont be disappointed.
:thumbup1:

Well I have the 1800 coming but I think I will probably get the 1250 (and the 830 and the 2000 ...) all in good time.
I think I will sell my last remaining badgers as well... they get very little use and when they do I feel that I just wasted a perfectly good shave on them. So it is not so much about "which one" anymore... just "in what order"....

Thanks to this thread, I recently was lucky enough to have my fiancée order the Semogue 1800 for me for Christmas, though it won't arrive until after the first of the year. I was torn between getting the 1250 or 1800, but Søren's posts from past threads about the 1800 having more backbone was the deciding factor. I have a Semogue 1305 as well as a Semogue Owners Club boar in cherry. I really enjoy the 1305, but the Semogue Owners Club is my favorite because I received it on the same day my daughter was born, June 3rd. it's also just a wonderful brush, period.

I think that if the 1305 had just a bit more backbone, that it would be an almost perfect brush. Does that mean that the 1800 is what I'm looking for?

You have some great Semogues :001_smile

I don't think you would have been disappointed with either choice of the two you mention. Both mine have slightly more backbone than the 1305.
Please post your opinion once you get a chance to use it.

You have some great Semogues :001_smile

I don't think you would have been disappointed with either choice of the two you mention. Both mine have slightly more backbone than the 1305.
Please post your opinion once you get a chance to use it.

Thank you for your kind words, Søren. I love my brushes, and treat them as best I can. :)

OK. I think I'll favor the 1800 over the 1305, but it will be hard to beat the performance of my SOC. I honestly think it might have more backbone than my 1305, but I wouldn't swear to it. The fact it arrived on such a wonderful day just adds to that, but its performance stands on its own. I've never owned a brush as wonderful as my SOC, and I'm glad that I do now! This is one brush that I believe everyone should try out at least once.

As for the 1250, there are plenty of days in the coming year for me to consider picking one up. I might even get a Semogue 2000, if that's the one people say is much like the SOC. :)

Top Bottom