What's new

Seem to be going backwards....

B

bluefoxicy

The initial bevel yes you do use pressure but as you progress you use less and when you get to the 8k and beyond stones you use little to none otherwise you risk damaging the edge, just take your time.

Ah, hmm. Perhaps this is why the Norton 8k is just leaving little scratches in random directions... and I can re-orient those scratches by changing the angle at which I move the blade....

When you hit the 8k you should see those scratches gone so id imagine you would be using too much pressure, i have seen people go both directions when honing me personally i just go downwards as it works best for myself.

Update: shave was OK, nothing more. It was sharper than I've gotten it before, but still no comparison to my Elski.....

I found this link as I was going through old posts in the Honing forums:http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/videos/42251-proper-pressure-honing.html

According to this, my pressure is good. Has been all along.
I am at a loss.
I'm starting to wonder if I'm comparing apples to oranges; my Elski was done on Shaptons 30k.
The only thing I'm not doing is stropping with CrOx (I've been waiting 5 weeks for HandAmerican to send it; seems as if it's been lost in transit... twice). It could be that this is what it lacks.
As a carpenter, I'm one of those guys that is good with tools... really good. But this is getting frustrating!

Top Bottom