What's new

Seeking Input from Timeless OC Shavers

Hey all,

I recently acquired a Timeless Ti matte razor in .68 SB (Crown handle) and I love it. I have been wet-shaving for about 3 years and have never tried shaving with an open-comb but would like to. I am thinking that this might be the time to take the plunge. The .68 plate feels perfect to me, and I want to try an OC plate to pair with the Ti cap and handle. (I’m not chasing increased efficiency or anything, and therefore not really interested in trying a scalloped .68, or a .95 or slim setup at this point). The most affordable route is to pick up a scratch & dent stainless .68 OC from Timeless (matte, $85) rather than the Ti .68 matte OC which is only available new ($125). Aside from potential weight and balance issues, are there any appreciable downsides to going this route, and what do you think I would I be missing going with an SS plate with a Ti cap and handle? Is it worth the extra $40 to buy the Ti Matte OC plate and keep the entire razor titanium? Hard for me to imagine that it is, but I would be grateful to hear from those of you with experience. Keep in mind that this is by and large simply an experiment in open-comb shaving for me (my first).

Thanks!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I can only tell you what I did very recently..... You already have the full Ti 0.68SB... I did too though mine was an OC, but it felt a bit too light for me so I sold it and bought the same razor in polished SS.... and that one, with the Ti Crown handle, felt a bit too head heavy.... So I ended up buying a polished Ti razor head... and used a combination of the SS scalloped cap along with the Ti base plate... and Ti scalloped cap with that SS OC base plate... both were a huge improvement in balance for me... though I should explain, I prefer a balance that is slightly tilted towards the razor head...

Now, for your question: the problem with the Timeless OC models? They make any other OC razor pale in comparison... They are that excellent. If you love the weight of your current razor, get the Ti base plate... I am also keeping the Ti Cap with the SS 0.68OC combination razor. It's a bit heavier but the balance is much improved vs. just the SS OC razor head. My SS 0.68OC is also from their scratch and dent section. You can't tell them from new... at least, I couldn't.

I use a Lot of Ti Crown handles... Other than the 068OC, I have 5 SS razors whose heads are mounted on the Ti Crown... It's a lovely combination.

I just got home from working my 4th 12 hour shift in a row... so if I didn't communicate well, ask me for clarification.

I can only tell you what I did very recently..... You already have the full Ti 0.68SB... I did too though mine was an OC, but it felt a bit too light for me so I sold it and bought the same razor in polished SS.... and that one, with the Ti Crown handle, felt a bit too head heavy.... So I ended up buying a polished Ti razor head... and used a combination of the SS scalloped cap along with the Ti base plate... and Ti scalloped cap with that SS OC base plate... both were a huge improvement in balance for me... though I should explain, I prefer a balance that is slightly tilted towards the razor head...

Now, for your question: the problem with the Timeless OC models? They make any other OC razor pale in comparison... They are that excellent. If you love the weight of your current razor, get the Ti base plate... I am also keeping the Ti Cap with the SS 0.68OC combination razor. It's a bit heavier but the balance is much improved vs. just the SS OC razor head. My SS 0.68OC is also from their scratch and dent section. You can't tell them from new... at least, I couldn't.

I use a Lot of Ti Crown handles... Other than the 068OC, I have 5 SS razors whose heads are mounted on the Ti Crown... It's a lovely combination.

I just got home from working my 4th 12 hour shift in a row... so if I didn't communicate well, ask me for clarification.
Ha! Your communication is crystal clear and I very much appreciate it. I do love the weight and balance of the razor in the full Ti setup and your opinion is pushing me toward getting the Ti OC plate. Thanks so much!

I have Timeless stainless steel .68SB and .95SB and they are in my top 5. I had Timeless .68OC and .95SB in titanium and sold them simply because I prefer the weight of stainless steel.

To answer your questions, the Timeless .68OC is the smoothest most comfortable open comb razor I have used, and I have used a few. Well, 5 or 6 anyway. Also, personally, I would not mix a stainless head with the Ti cap. Spend a few extra dollars and have a razor as Timeless designed it. They know how to make a great razor.

I love my Timeless ti .68 oc razor. Like others have already mentioned, it shaves so smooth. It almost has to be tried to be believed.

I say go with the titanium if you’re happy with the current weight of your razor. If you’d like it a little heavier, go with the ss. I don’t think you’ll notice a difference in the shave other than weight, although I can’t say for sure as I’ve never used their ss razors.

If it were me though, I’d get the dual comb ti baseplate at $140 and sell your sb baseplate on the bst to offset some of the cost. Now you’ve got both in one plate.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Just a note: if you would like to remove the "grit" feeling from your matte finish Timeless... a couple hand polishes with Simichrome brings out a very subtle but enjoyable luster.. at least, for me.

Just a note: if you would like to remove the "grit" feeling from your matte finish Timeless... a couple hand polishes with Simichrome brings out a very subtle but enjoyable luster.. at least, for me.
Interesting, thanks for that suggestion. I am actually pretty happy with the matte finish so far. The only other Ti razor I have is a DSCosmetic S-9 (Game Changer .84 clone) that is highly polished with a scalloped cap. I like both razors a bunch, but I feel like the Timeless matte encourages me to slow down and think about what I'm doing in a good way.

I got the .68OC and it wasn't efficient enough for me. I ended up trying both the .95SB and the SlimSB and I like both of them much more. I've only had three shaves with the Slim, but I'm thinking that it might be my jam. Keep in mind that all of my heads are titanium. My best shave with the .68OC was when I used a Kai blade and a heavier stainless handle (RazoRock Barber Pole, I think). The added weight of the SS handle and the increased exposure of the Kai helped me find a better angle, but the efficiency was still lacking compared to the .95 and Slim. I have wiry-*** whiskers though, and I've come to realize that the best razors for me are fairly aggressive.

All of that said, the Timeless OC heads are super smooth compared to others given their geometry. So if a .68 gap or thereabouts works for you, it would be a great first OC I think. It was definitely a bit more efficient that the Timeless .68SB, and was fine in terms of comfort, but just not efficient enough for me.

If it were me though, I’d get the dual comb ti baseplate at $140 and sell your sb baseplate on the bst to offset some of the cost. Now you’ve got both in one plate.
Do bear in mind that the dial comb is the safety bar and scalloped bar - not the full open comb.

The scalloped bar is great by the way.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I hereby swear, if I win the lottery I will buy @Guido75 a .95 OC baseplate. Ti on top of that.

The .95 SCL is nice, and very comfy to use. I said it regularly by now, the inward bent teeth of the Timeless OC design give more efficiency without compromising security.

Depending on how much I might win, @DHowz might also get a .95 OC plate.

I am particularly in love with my .5 Slim OC, though. But that one is indeed special and not everybody's darling.

Instead of me waiting to win the lottery you two might consider the next 10% sale by Timeless. You only need the baseplate as you already have the other parts. And scratch and dent might be worth it to save even more, many razors sold as such seem to be 1a returns without any flaws.

I hereby swear, if I win the lottery I will buy @Guido75 a .95 OC baseplate. Ti on top of that.

The .95 SCL is nice, and very comfy to use. I said it regularly by now, the inward bent teeth of the Timeless OC design give more efficiency without compromising security.
You have convinced me enough to be a regular visitor of Timeless’ website that’s for sure! But I might go for the Slim OC to have a bit more variety than just stepping up from SCL to OC in the .95 department.

I appreciate the gesture though, but I would suggest that when you win the lottery you splurge on running shoes instead!! Haha!

But to be honest, a Maurice 1.2 might be a worthy alternative. Looks good and gets great reviews (the razor, not specifically the 1.2 gap).

Iridian

Cool and slimy
to be honest, a Maurice 1.2 might be a worthy alternative. Looks good and gets great reviews (the razor, not specifically the 1.2 gap).
Yeah, the price though! But at least within the EU, so no customs/VAT/Tax nonsense.

Maybe he will make on day a Robert, the broke vagabond brother of Grandpa Maurice, much more affordable and so on! 😁

Do bear in mind that the dial comb is the safety bar and scalloped bar - not the full open comb.

The scalloped bar is great by the way.

Not sure where you got this information, but it isn’t correct. My own dual comb is an sb/oc combo. You can also get sb/scalloped and scalloped/oc plates. Here’s a link and screenshot from the Timeless website.

3CEB7570-EFEF-4FE3-80C5-880EB2738ACE.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom