What's new

Second score of the week for this SE newb!

So I found an Injector G8 the other day at an antique store for $5. And with full on RAD set in, I couldn't help but stop by another store today on my way home. Good thing I did. I scored this Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf. It looks like it wasn't used much, but his has some pretty good discoloration on the middle section of the handle and the baseplate/safety bar. I thought the asking price of $2 was a little steep, but I gave in a paid full price. :lol: My luck will probably run out pretty soon, though.

It isn't one that was recommended in my other thread, but I just couldn't help myself. I stopped by CVS and picked up some blades, gave it a good cleaning as soon as I got home, and I'm about to go give her a spin.

$photo-6.jpg$photo-7.jpg$photo-8.jpg$photo-9.jpg

Does anyone know why all my pictures end up sideways once I upload them to the site? Is there some way to adjust them?

Awesome find, congrats! Good luck on your first shave with her.

Also- be sure the blades you got were from the shaving section and not the hardware section. The hardware blades are not suitable for shaving.

Awesome find, congrats! Good luck on your first shave with her.

Also- be sure the blades you got were from the shaving section and not the hardware section. The hardware blades are not suitable for shaving.

Sure thing. I've already finished my inaugural shave with it and it was successful. I think there might be something to this SE thing. This was without a doubt one of the best shaves I've had to date. Hopefully it wasn't just lucky shave.

But now I have two questions. First, the paper that came in it said to keep the razor flat against the face. But I felt as though I had to put a little angle on it, especially in the trouble spots. Do most people leave it completely flat, or is it acceptable to use a little angle like with a DE?

Second, I've read that the MMOC is considered pretty aggressive. Is that just because it's an OC, or is the blade angle different than this Clog-Pruf and other Micromatics?

My experience with the clog-pruf showed that you need to keep the head slightly off of the face for a good cut, If you try to keep it flat it will not cut very well.

Congratulation for finding a very nice razor at a great price. The clog pruf is a very mild razor compared to the mmoc and i still
have a little bit of razor burn when i use my mmoc, But use whatever angle works for you and enjoy.

My experience with the clog-pruf showed that you need to keep the head slightly off of the face for a good cut, If you try to keep it flat it will not cut very well.

Yep, that's pretty much what I experienced last night. Every few minutes I caught myself lifting it just a bit. But it did provide a great shave. I still had a bit of tugging and pulling, but not as bad as with most DEs. I think I will find a MMOC and give it a whirl to see if it doesn't help with the tugging problem I seem to have with almost every razor I use.

I've always found the CVS Pharmacy carbon steel blades (though good enough) tend to tug and pull a little bit. You might want to try a stainless steel blade.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

The MMOC can be a bit polarizing some people find it to be very aggressive and others don't. I love the MMOC so far I haven't had a bad experience with it and I didn't find it to be as aggressive as it's made out to be. Here is a link with good tips on how to use an MMOC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

I've always found the CVS Pharmacy carbon steel blades (though good enough) tend to tug and pull a little bit. You might want to try a stainless steel blade.

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/gemss.html

The MMOC can be a bit polarizing some people find it to be very aggressive and others don't. I love the MMOC so far I haven't had a bad experience with it and I didn't find it to be as aggressive as it's made out to be. Here is a link with good tips on how to use an MMOC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUG2B_-D0d4

Man, you are just a treasure trove of information. Thanks. I am under the impression that the ones sold at Walgreens are stainless and that they are decent. I was going to get a pack of them to try until I can order some other samples online.

I would suggest that if you are having a lot of tugging a more aggressive razor will only make the tugging worse. What you need is either more/better prep or sharper blades.

In relation to the comment about razor angle, is the micromatic an exception that should not be held flat against the face, or do most/all SE razors need to be held somewhat off the face?

Thanks

I would suggest that if you are having a lot of tugging a more aggressive razor will only make the tugging worse. What you need is either more/better prep or sharper blades.

I do believe the problem is mostly in the blades. And it's really only bad around my chin/jaw area where the hair is just really tough. I am currently working my way through a sample pack of DE blades that I understand to be rather on the sharp side (Feather, Labs, Astra, Med Preps, etc.). I didn't notice the tugging and pulling with the almighty Feather, but I did notice all the blood and irritation afterwards. :crying: However, that was probably due to me being sloppy because I had a few drink just prior, so I plan on trying it again sans the alcohol.

I will be getting my last student loan refund Monday, so I will definitely be ordering a few different SE blades (as well as plenty of other goodies). I'm sure I will find something I like. I appreciate all the advice everyone has given.

In relation to the comment about razor angle, is the micromatic an exception that should not be held flat against the face, or do most/all SE razors need to be held somewhat off the face?

Thanks

The MM and later Gems need to be held nearly flat against the face. The earlier models, 1912, etc. are held off the face at a greater angle.

I do believe the problem is mostly in the blades. And it's really only bad around my chin/jaw area where the hair is just really tough. I am currently working my way through a sample pack of DE blades that I understand to be rather on the sharp side (Feather, Labs, Astra, Med Preps, etc.). I didn't notice the tugging and pulling with the almighty Feather, but I did notice all the blood and irritation afterwards. :crying: However, that was probably due to me being sloppy because I had a few drink just prior, so I plan on trying it again sans the alcohol.

I will be getting my last student loan refund Monday, so I will definitely be ordering a few different SE blades (as well as plenty of other goodies). I'm sure I will find something I like. I appreciate all the advice everyone has given.

The very first SE razor I tried was a short handle 1912, which is also the most aggressive razor I've tried (still). It refused to cut the hair under my chin. It would dig in and tug - and I bet if I had forced it along I would have cut myself badly. In such situations you don't want a more aggressive razor because it cannot make up for poor lubrication/poor prep or a dull blade. A mild razor with a sharp blade will be a lot more effective even if it takes a few passes to cut the hair down. Mild razors do not tug. If they cannot get a "grip" on the hair they will simply skip over it. YMMV and all that - but this is what I've found in my experience.

The very first SE razor I tried was a short handle 1912, which is also the most aggressive razor I've tried (still). It refused to cut the hair under my chin. It would dig in and tug - and I bet if I had forced it along I would have cut myself badly. In such situations you don't want a more aggressive razor because it cannot make up for poor lubrication/poor prep or a dull blade. A mild razor with a sharp blade will be a lot more effective even if it takes a few passes to cut the hair down. Mild razors do not tug. If they cannot get a "grip" on the hair they will simply skip over it. YMMV and all that - but this is what I've found in my experience.

Well I will definitely give the mild razors another try. I have a Gillette Slim that I shaved with for a few months, and I eventually tried it with the Personna Med Preps set on 2 or 3. It wasn't bad, but not what I was hoping for either. I also have a Gillette Tech that I picked up a few weeks ago and it was about the same. The problem with them is that the blade would "simply skip over [the hair]" like you mentioned. Even after 3 or 4 passes there would be plainly visible hair left, and I think this is because my hair lies extremely flat on the skin, especially on my neck. The only way to get it was either apply pressure or do multiple touch up passes, either of which resulted in some irritation.

I finally tried a Feather in the Tech and it didn't end well. But as I noted above, that was probably more user error than anything. Plus, I'm still fairly new at all this and trying to iron out my process. So I will experiment with them a few more times. In fact, that's really what I am trying to do now: experiment with was much as I can to find what works best. So I appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Well I will definitely give the mild razors another try. I have a Gillette Slim that I shaved with for a few months, and I eventually tried it with the Personna Med Preps set on 2 or 3. It wasn't bad, but not what I was hoping for either. I also have a Gillette Tech that I picked up a few weeks ago and it was about the same. The problem with them is that the blade would "simply skip over [the hair]" like you mentioned. Even after 3 or 4 passes there would be plainly visible hair left, and I think this is because my hair lies extremely flat on the skin, especially on my neck. The only way to get it was either apply pressure or do multiple touch up passes, either of which resulted in some irritation.

I finally tried a Feather in the Tech and it didn't end well. But as I noted above, that was probably more user error than anything. Plus, I'm still fairly new at all this and trying to iron out my process. So I will experiment with them a few more times. In fact, that's really what I am trying to do now: experiment with was much as I can to find what works best. So I appreciate the input.

While experimenting around to find blades/razors/soaps/creams/whatever that helps your shave does have the potential to improve your shave, if you find yourself having trouble with a wide variety of things, I would stick with a single set of fairly middle ground things and make sure you have good technique everywhere. If you aren't prepping as well as you could, hairs will be harder to cut, causing more irritation/tugging and a feeling that the blades are worse. If you are holding the razor at a bad angle or leaving your wrist loose to wiggle too much, your shaves can also miss hair or grab skin. Unless you're sure you have pretty good technique, that's what I would focus on for now.

Good Luck!

The MM and later Gems need to be held nearly flat against the face. The earlier models, 1912, etc. are held off the face at a greater angle.

The GEM Jr. is one of the 1912 models correct? It would need a greater angle (between razor head and face)?

Top Bottom