What's new

Seal Wax

I had a question about seal wax.
I have a wax stamp that is fairly large 1 1/4 inch (round)
I would like to use it more but I find seal wax a bit pricy these days. Just wondered if there was a way to make your own or if there is a way to get seal wax cheaper ?

Where have you looked, and what was the price? I have never shopped around for it, I have only ever bought sealing wax from the Goulets. A pack of four sticks for $16.00, but I have gotten quite a few seals from a stick.

That seems to be about the going rate
Wish I could get it in bulk and just heat it up in a little laddle

That seems to be about the going rate
Wish I could get it in bulk and just heat it up in a little laddle

To be perfectly honest, I'm sure you could even use a basic candle and drip the wax. However, the wax that the Goulets have is a bit different. It's soft and pliable, so it won't crack and break when sent through the mail. I was a little worried about the cost as well, but I've found that the little package you get goes a long way.

We bought a pack from the Goulet's with a seal to do my son's HS graduation invitations. I did about 90 invitations with two sticks and they all were full stamps. They all made it through the mail with no problem as well.

Just wondered if there was a way to make your own or if there is a way to get seal wax cheaper?

The general topic of seals and sealing wax came back to my mind today. I know I used to have a seal.

This post reminds me of "19th Nervous Breakdown" by the Rolling Stones:

"Your mother who neglected you owes a million dollars tax
And your father's still perfecting ways of making sealing wax"

Isn't it just paraffin wax with pigment?
Some of the less expensive stuff is mostly that, I would say. There are two issues with that style, the first being the pigments don't always come across as bright and vibrant once you melt that small amount and stamp it, so you lose some details in the stamp. The other being how hard and brittle that style is on envelopes, and will often snag and break on the PO's sorting machinery.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I see this running $9 to $11 for multiple sticks on the A jungle. Popular with the wedding invitation crowd.

Hello, go to Aliexpress dot com website (the chinese amazon) and search for sealing wax.... You will never purchase again from expensive stores :)

Be patience to wait for your shipment but is worth it.

Check out Using Sealing Wax in the Vintage Writing Video topic. The video is well worth it, and answers questions about what is sealing wax.

I get my sealing wax from Nostalgic Impressions. I prefer their house sealing wax to the J Herbin stuff, I find it much easier to apply, and the few people I've sent letters to have said it's held up well in the mail. You can get 2 sticks for $4.95.

The best wax I’ve used, by far, is from atelier gargoyle; it pours well, sticks well, and I’ve never had a seal get broken (even after going through the sorting systems at the post office). Bonus: the wax smells great.

I haven’t had to buy some from them in a few years, so I don’t know how much they sell for, as I bought a box then and am still using it, but I do highly recommend it.

Top Bottom