What's new

SE vs DE what is the main difference?

So I have been shaving DE consistently for the part 5 plus years.

I recently saw a Blackland Sabre and fell in love with it.

I have the Blackbird and is currently my favorite. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone with more experience or knowledge may add to this but as far as I know it has everything to do with the blades, and particularly the thuckness of the blades and the flex at the shaving edge.

DE blades are very thin and have the most flex.

The GEM SE blades that are. Used in the Sabre are among the thickest and stiffest blades with minimal flex. There are other razors using these blades like Above The Tie and vintage GEM razors. Also do not confuse these blades with their box cutter cousins. The box cutter blades have a different grind profile and are not suitable for shaving.

In the middle are the SE blades from Feather and KAI that were originally made for shavette style straight razors so they are longer than DE or GEM blades. They have been adopted by many SE enthusiast using razors like the Cobra, King Cobra, Mongoose, Ocams Razor and a bunch more. These SE blades walk a nice midle ground being an in between thickness and flex. They give great shaves.

Last one is the Feather FHS-10. These have been around for a long time and were only used in Valet Auto-Strop razors until about three years ago. Now their main market is the OneBlade razors. These blades are similar to the GEM blades but do not have a stabilizing spine.

Plus there are the Schick Injector SE blades. Also thick with little flex.

After writing this it occurs to me there has been one standard for DE blades for decades but many options for SE. I wonder why? Is the DE blade as perfect as it can be? Or is it because there factories around the globe pumping out DE blades so nobody wants to upset the status who?

I think you have to jump in and shave with some or all of them to make your decision. I have razors that use every one of these and I prefer the DE and Feather/Kai long SE blades myself.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Someone with more experience or knowledge may add to this but as far as I know it has everything to do with the blades, and particularly the thuckness of the blades and the flex at the shaving edge.

DE blades are very thin and have the most flex.

The GEM SE blades that are. Used in the Sabre are among the thickest and stiffest blades with minimal flex. There are other razors using these blades like Above The Tie and vintage GEM razors. Also do not confuse these blades with their box cutter cousins. The box cutter blades have a different grind profile and are not suitable for shaving.

In the middle are the SE blades from Feather and KAI that were originally made for shavette style straight razors so they are longer than DE or GEM blades. They have been adopted by many SE enthusiast using razors like the Cobra, King Cobra, Mongoose, Ocams Razor and a bunch more. These SE blades walk a nice midle ground being an in between thickness and flex. They give great shaves.

Last one is the Feather FHS-10. These have been around for a long time and were only used in Valet Auto-Strop razors until about three years ago. Now their main market is the OneBlade razors. These blades are similar to the GEM blades but do not have a stabilizing spine.

Plus there are the Schick Injector SE blades. Also thick with little flex.

After writing this it occurs to me there has been one standard for DE blades for decades but many options for SE. I wonder why? Is the DE blade as perfect as it can be? Or is it because there factories around the globe pumping out DE blades so nobody wants to upset the status who?

I think you have to jump in and shave with some or all of them to make your decision. I have razors that use every one of these and I prefer the DE and Feather/Kai long SE blades myself.

Great answer and synopsis :a14:

OneBlade w/ Feather FHS-10 blade, Ocam O.R.E.N.w/ Feather Pro Guard blade and ATT S1 Atlas w/ Gillette DE blade
proxy.php

I suppose it depends which kind of SE youre taking about. Ive never used the Oneblade or a Star style SE but I do have an ATT SE1 that uses the artist club style blades and I can tell you that the blade is a bit more ridgid than a DE. I personally dont care for the SE1, I find that I nick myself more with it than I do my DEs.

I am looking at a Blackland Sabre. Probably the L2. I don’t know enough to know what blade type it takes.

I am looking at a Blackland Sabre. Probably the L2. I don’t know enough to know what blade type it takes.

The Sabre uses the Gem blades, sumilar to the FHS-10 in the photo, but with a spine so they look like box cutter blades. The PTFE coated Gem blades are highly regarded as great shavers. These are thick non flexing blades that shave similar to a straight razor IMHO. If I ever tried to mod some of these Gem Blades to fit my OneBlade I could give you more info on the Gem PTFE vs Feather FHS-10 but alas I have not.... Maybe some other enlightened shaver has...

for me, the biggest difference is the fixed angle with SE. It's hard to shave with anything but the optimum angle of the head. If I go any shallower than keeping the handle parallel with my face, there is no blade contact at all. if you are a brass instrument player, it's the difference between a valve trombone and a slide trombone.

for me, the biggest difference is the fixed angle with SE. It's hard to shave with anything but the optimum angle of the head. If I go any shallower than keeping the handle parallel with my face, there is no blade contact at all. if you are a brass instrument player, it's the difference between a valve trombone and a slide trombone.

And the adjustable Auto Strop is like a valve trombone with an F attachment...

Last edited:
The Sabre uses the Gem blades, sumilar to the FHS-10 in the photo, but with a spine so they look like box cutter blades. The PTFE coated Gem blades are highly regarded as great shavers. These are thick non flexing blades that shave similar to a straight razor IMHO. If I ever tried to mod some of these Gem Blades to fit my OneBlade I could give you more info on the Gem PTFE vs Feather FHS-10 but alas I have not.... Maybe some other enlightened shaver has...

This newbie is possibly a little confused. The term “Gem blade” describes a type of blade that is of a specific size, has a metal guard (“spine”?) on one side and a cutting edge on the opposite side — is that correct?

The fact that “Gem” is always capitalized initially led me to believe it is a brand name, but it appears to be used generically. That is, different manufacturers produce Gem blades (Personna Gem, Blue Star Gem, etc.) that all fit interchangeably into various Gem razors that are also produced by various manufacturers. Or am I totally off?

Patti

This newbie is possibly a little confused. The term “Gem blade” describes a type of blade that is of a specific size, has a metal guard (“spine”?) on one side and a cutting edge on the opposite side — is that correct?

The fact that “Gem” is always capitalized initially led me to believe it is a brand name, but it appears to be used generically. That is, different manufacturers produce Gem blades (Personna Gem, Blue Star Gem, etc.) that all fit interchangeably into various Gem razors that are also produced by various manufacturers. Or am I totally off?
GEM was a trademark of a company that produced razors. It produced razors under 3 other company names as well. Ever Ready, Star, and Radio.
In 1900 the GEM Safety Razor Company changed its name to The American Safety Razor Company.
In 1906 it merged with two other companies to become The Personna American Safety Razor Company.
Today it is The American Safety Razor Company. They make Treet, Personna, Pal and Gem razor blades.

But GEM has come to be like Kleenex in regards to that style of SE blade

I get the same BBS results from both DE and SE provided I'm using a rigid DE razor. The difference is in the aftershave skin feel, the thicker SE blades are easier on my skin. No blood loss or irritation with either, my skin just feels smoother with SE blades, particularly the GEM SS PTFE blade and Schick Proline AC blade.

If you want to try a Gem style SE razor (and you should!), you can save yourself some serious money by checking out just about any antique store, or trying that famous auction site, and picking up a vintage Gem (or Star or Ever Ready) model 1912. Shouldn't cost you more than $15 tops. Pick up some Gem stainless PTFE blades and you're off. Think of it as a fun test drive. If you take to it, which is likely, then you can spring for the Blackland Sabre. But don't be disappointed when the Sabre doesn't shave as well as your old, cheap 1912.

If you want to try a Gem style SE razor (and you should!), you can save yourself some serious money by checking out just about any antique store, or trying that famous auction site, and picking up a vintage Gem (or Star or Ever Ready) model 1912. Shouldn't cost you more than $15 tops. Pick up some Gem stainless PTFE blades and you're off. Think of it as a fun test drive. If you take to it, which is likely, then you can spring for the Blackland Sabre. But don't be disappointed when the Sabre doesn't shave as well as your old, cheap 1912.

Yes. I got 1 for $12.00. They also had white handled similar to tennis rack handle ones with a safety bar for $10.00

This. I am in love with my Gem razors and they shave so well and are surprisingly preserved so well in spite of their age - I don't intend to get a modern Gem razor. My every ready 1912 along with the Gem G-bar / clog pruf are fantastic shavers !! Cheapest deal for the PTFE blades - head over to connaught shaving in UK !

Top Bottom