What's new

SE SOTD- What was your tool of choice today?

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
92.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Friday, March 29th 2024.
Razor : Yaqi Romulus SE 316 SSP with a Yaqi Chippendale 316SSP handle. Mfg 2023>, mild to mid range depending on blades used or gap spacer used. Small head parts when assembling seem to be easier working on a wash incase of dropping them is what I have discovered and recommend. The combination of handle and head produces nice close comfortable shaves mostly. Has a close comfortable shave this morning.
Blade : Kai Captain titian mild, sharp and smooth with great longevity.
Soap : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore, nice Vanilla and light tobacco scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Deep Stones" 24mm synthetic boss knot. Excellent lather generator, luxury cloud like soft tips, gentle scrubber + excellent lather generator.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless) .
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Yaqi Romulus SE 316 SSP razor with a Kai Captain titian mild blade.
SOTD March 29 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Supply V2.0 Stainless, matte black
Blade: Supply Black Label Injector blade
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Forest City Fern
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Nivea Post Shave Balm
20240229_084740.jpg

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
PPPFFFFTTTT...Haven't blown the dust off over here for a while. :)

SOTD: Friday March 29, 2024
Razor: Wolfman WR3
Blade: Personna PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

IMG_0800[1].JPG

Well, Old Hippie bit the dust. Or the bullet. Or something. Maybe I got bit by a radioactive spider?

I've been looking at the WR3 now for what...two years?...mostly because I got sucked into "Analysis Paralysis" with all the gap choices. One thing I think I know :) is that the WR3 tends to shave differently from other Gem format razors, both vintage and modern. I put myself on the list early but couldn't make up my mind so dropped off. Then I did a bunch of reading and thinking and lately put myself back on the list. I had come to the conclusion that something in the 0.50mm to 0.60mm would work. I had a Blackland Sabre for a couple of years and recalled (?) that the L1 gap was around 0.60 and the L2 gap around 0.90, and while that was a very good razor it and I never bonded fully. I thought going down to 0.50 would be good.

Plus I wanted an OC, just because. I gave some thought to the V3 Starling from PAA -- the V2OC is still a favourite of mine and was the first razor I ever got a BBS with. So I had lots of juicy "what if" thoughts to consider. Kept me happy for quite a while! However sometimes the Universe gets tired of my dithering and kicks me off top dead centre. Our brother @LRod put his WR3 up on the BST. A gently used razor with a Wolfman handle essentially tossed in for free? Let's see how 0.35mm feels!

And it feels amazing. My original plan was to buy the head only and put it on a Timeless Crown Ti handle. Larry's timely offer, however, gifted me a very nice stainless Wolfman handle. I'll certainly try it! I went with the Timeless handle this morning for two reasons: I wanted to see how it went; and I've been using that handle for a little while on the L2OC SuperSlant, so the feel of it is already fresh in my hand. I noted that the WR3 head has a little more mass than the SuperSlant, so I'll be interested to see how the Wolfman handle changes the balance and overall mass.

I got a very nice DFS this morning. Could have gone deeper, but Gem blades are a bit sharp on first use. A bit of care and attention, and I got a smooth ride even over the rough spots. Looks like Larry made a good decision when choosing the gap! :)

Well. I haven't had an adventure for a little while. This'll be fun.

O.H.

PPPFFFFTTTT...Haven't blown the dust off over here for a while. :)

SOTD: Friday March 29, 2024
Razor: Wolfman WR3
Blade: Personna PTFE (1)
Brush: Omega 10005
Soap: Peppermint Trip

View attachment 1820230

Well, Old Hippie bit the dust. Or the bullet. Or something. Maybe I got bit by a radioactive spider?

I've been looking at the WR3 now for what...two years?...mostly because I got sucked into "Analysis Paralysis" with all the gap choices. One thing I think I know :) is that the WR3 tends to shave differently from other Gem format razors, both vintage and modern. I put myself on the list early but couldn't make up my mind so dropped off. Then I did a bunch of reading and thinking and lately put myself back on the list. I had come to the conclusion that something in the 0.50mm to 0.60mm would work. I had a Blackland Sabre for a couple of years and recalled (?) that the L1 gap was around 0.60 and the L2 gap around 0.90, and while that was a very good razor it and I never bonded fully. I thought going down to 0.50 would be good.

Plus I wanted an OC, just because. I gave some thought to the V3 Starling from PAA -- the V2OC is still a favourite of mine and was the first razor I ever got a BBS with. So I had lots of juicy "what if" thoughts to consider. Kept me happy for quite a while! However sometimes the Universe gets tired of my dithering and kicks me off top dead centre. Our brother @LRod put his WR3 up on the BST. A gently used razor with a Wolfman handle essentially tossed in for free? Let's see how 0.35mm feels!

And it feels amazing. My original plan was to buy the head only and put it on a Timeless Crown Ti handle. Larry's timely offer, however, gifted me a very nice stainless Wolfman handle. I'll certainly try it! I went with the Timeless handle this morning for two reasons: I wanted to see how it went; and I've been using that handle for a little while on the L2OC SuperSlant, so the feel of it is already fresh in my hand. I noted that the WR3 head has a little more mass than the SuperSlant, so I'll be interested to see how the Wolfman handle changes the balance and overall mass.

I got a very nice DFS this morning. Could have gone deeper, but Gem blades are a bit sharp on first use. A bit of care and attention, and I got a smooth ride even over the rough spots. Looks like Larry made a good decision when choosing the gap! :)

Well. I haven't had an adventure for a little while. This'll be fun.

O.H.
Welcome back. I dipped my toe into the modern GEM pool with the recent purchase of the Shield ALU Gem Style.
Waiting to give it a trial run.

Top Bottom