What's new

SE curious newbie here!

Hello fellow B&B'ers!

I have since I came here a couple of days gone on a RAD fueled shopping spree and expanded my collection that in comparison to yours is incredibly small.

I have so far only used DE razors and straights but I've seen plenty of LOSER signatures and decided to check it out and wow! Single Edge razors seem really cool :w00t:

I instantly fell in love with the incredibly expensive and unaffordable for me, Cobra Classic so I wonder if you guys know of any vintage razors that are similar in model as in they have a smaller blade and head so it's easier to reach like under the nose and such.
I think injectors are quite similar, right? I am as I said a beginner at this SE thing so I seek your expertise on the subject!

//Unkas

vintage razors that are similar in model as in they have a smaller blade and head so it's easier to reach like under the nose and such.
I think injectors are quite similar, right? I am as I said a beginner at this SE thing so I seek your expertise on the subject!

//Unkas
Yup, Injectors come to my mind. Though I'm not an expert, I'm yet to have my first SE shave.
Still waiting for Injector blades (razor is already here) and an Gem Featherweight with some blades to arrive :001_smile

Last edited:
Yup, Injectors come to my mind. Though I'm not an expert, I'm yet to have my first SE shave.
Still waiting for Injector blades (razor is already here) and an Gem Featherweight with some blades to arrive :001_smile

Injectors just seem generally cool with the blade dispenser and such but I am not sure how the shave is compared with a different SE like a 1912 which seems so popular and is also a very attractive razor!

I have two 1912s that I acquired as "included" items in shaving mug "sets" made up to sell on eBay, and I've cleaned one of them up so it looks very nice, but haven't tried it yet. I have used my Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf many times, and a new-to-me "Gbar", the Art Deco looking one, has given me a good shave as well, but of all vintage hardware, the Hydro-Magic Schick has been easiest to get good results from, and has shaved closer, with the same Chinese Schick blades (from Amazon), as the Schick G8, which was the Injector I tried first, after my return to the Traditional Shaving World (I consider the term "Wet Shaving" to be far too all-encompassing to be useful. I never stopped using water with whatever product I was using with cartridge razors).

Generally, I get a superior first pass (with the grain) result from an SE compared to a DE . .

Here's an overpriced "Buy it Now" Injector, but he also says to make an offer, so try $15, with shipping, and see what happens:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Good-Condit...566?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6e3d8d86

So far, compared to my two-blade Sensor, only a DE has offered a reasonably good two-pass result on the end of my chin. I have had to go back time and again with SEs, until I just swapped razors in frustration, for a few bits of remaining stubble there.

Last edited:
I have two 1912s that I acquired as "included" items in shaving mug "sets" made up to sell on eBay, and I've cleaned one of them up so it looks very nice, but haven't tried it yet. I have used my Gem Micromatic Clog-Pruf many times, and a new-to-me "Gbar", the Art Deco looking one, has given me a good shave as well, but of all vintage hardware, the Hydro-Magic Schick has been easiest to get good results from, and has shaved closer, with the same Chinese Schick blades (from Amazon), as the Schick G8, which was the Injector I tried first, after my return to the Traditional Shaving World (I consider the term "Wet Shaving" to be far too all-encompassing to be useful. I never stopped using water with whatever product I was using with cartridge razors).

Generally, I get a superior first pass (with the grain) result from an SE compared to a DE . .

So far, compared to my two-blade Sensor, only a DE has offered a reasonably good two-pass result on the end of my chin. I have had to go back time and again with SEs, until I just swapped razors in frustration, for a few bits of remaining stubble there.

I would love to try both types of SE razor but I think I might start with injectors. I will have to wait a little until I am allowed into the BST and then make a post there about it since the only vintage SE I have ever seen being sold here is the C.V.Heljestrand SE that has a wedge blade.

EDIT: Speaking of the devil... I actually found an Ever Ready on auction here so I checked in at the LOSER thread for some advice.

Last edited:
An eBay seller had a Gem Junior in its case, sold it as a Buy it Now offer, for $7.50, plus a very reasonable shipping amount:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330732584305?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Compared to many of the more popularly collected DEs, only the rarest of SEs demand high prices.

About an yhour later, I went ahead and shaved with the gold 1912, and one of the Personna Blue Star blades, using the VDH two-way bi-color soap, green (glycerin) side upward:

$1912 and mug.jpg

As you can see, the remnants of my lather are still in the Barbershop mug (that soap won't fit into any smaller mug).

Last edited:
Top Bottom