What's new

SE convert...

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I had an amazing shave this evening after thinking SE razors just weren't my koolaid. I have learned that with this hobby you can't put too much stock in anything until you've tried it a few times and SE's are no exception. I'm extremely thankful I did!

If your curious about the details on my shave I just posted it in my shave journal if not, just know that this evening I became a full fledged convert. I see many more excellent SE shaves in my future...I'd like to thank all of you wonderful gents for rekindling my curiosity and encouraging me to give SE's another shot. I'm very glad I did.

The tool kit for this evening shave...
Preshave: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Soap
Soap: MWF
Brush: TGN finest badger in Fuller Handle
Razor: Gem 1912
Blade: Gem
After Shave: Shulton Old Spice
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yep - you can get a good shave out of a 1912, MMOC or MMCP. No better than a R41 with a Nacet or GSB though in my experience. A useful thing to have in the rotation. 1912 deserves a modern handle, which you can fit with a 2BA thread.

brandaves

Yep - you can get a good shave out of a 1912, MMOC or MMCP. No better than a R41 with a Nacet or GSB though in my experience. A useful thing to have in the rotation. 1912 deserves a modern handle, which you can fit with a 2BA thread.
Huh...I hadn't thought of upgrading the handle. I think I'd definitely like to do that. Could you recommend some?

brandaves

...alternatively are you suggesting using a grub screw on any razor handle? That ought work just as well.

I'm gonna go down a rabbit hole on this one I can tell...

...alternatively are you suggesting using a grub screw on any razor handle? That ought work just as well.

Yes - any M5 razor handle. I'm in the UK and we used to have BA threads here. 2BA is perfect for joining the head to any handle. I just buy 1.25" long 2BA screws and saw the heads off. Plenty on eBay uk. Brass is nice but they all work.

If you treat shaving as a skill that you practice each morning or whatever time of day you shave then I would add you should allocate a couple of days or at least a week a month to using something besides a de razor. You should find by doing so it will also improve your de shaves.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congratulations and welcome to the SE side of the shaving world!!! I tried SE's about a year ago and discovered what felt like a completely new world of shaving open up. I also want to +1 this comment:
If you treat shaving as a skill that you practice each morning or whatever time of day you shave then I would add you should allocate a couple of days or at least a week a month to using something besides a de razor. You should find by doing so it will also improve your de shaves.
I started with DE and then went SE, and now I find that I can pick up any razor (DE/SE/Injector) and really get an awesome shave from it.

Last but not least -- and I'm really not trying to pull you into the rabbit hole :whistling: -- you may want to join us over at Micromatic Monday / GEMonday. A bunch of us get together and share/discuss our GEM razor shaves...there you'll see GEM Lather Catchers (the early razors), GEM Micromatics, the 1912 (and all of it's variants/cousins), the GEM Featherweight, as well as Ever-Ready's, Stars and Treets.

brandaves

Congratulations and welcome to the SE side of the shaving world!!! I tried SE's about a year ago and discovered what felt like a completely new world of shaving open up. I also want to +1 this comment:

I started with DE and then went SE, and now I find that I can pick up any razor (DE/SE/Injector) and really get an awesome shave from it.

Last but not least -- and I'm really not trying to pull you into the rabbit hole :whistling: -- you may want to join us over at Micromatic Monday / GEMonday. A bunch of us get together and share/discuss our GEM razor shaves...there you'll see GEM Lather Catchers (the early razors), GEM Micromatics, the 1912 (and all of it's variants/cousins), the GEM Featherweight, as well as Ever-Ready's, Stars and Treets.
Thank you, I'll checkout that thread. I actually own several SE's including a Micromatic as well as an Ever Ready which I need to try as well. Although I'm afraid the Micromatic might not shave again. Sadly the top cap doesn't seem to want to maintain its hold on the blade as it should...

Top Bottom